Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need ideas for creative LED sign

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need ideas for creative LED sign
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a client that wants a backlit ("halo") lit lettering.
They are too small to create metal channel letters and I was wondering if I could create them out of HDU. the stroke spacing is 1.25"

Reverse route with a channel or groove for the led.

Any ideas?

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PVC works.. Don't know if you need indoors or not.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about cutting the letters in solid 15mm acrylic (white, opal, or clear with translucent vinyl front).

Grooving or pocketing out the letters, routing recesses in a 3/8" or 10mm clear acrylic backing sheet - routed at half the acrylic thickness, deep.
(Use an inline function in Entoute so they fit.)

Glue the letters into the holes.

Set up LED lighting as hidden edge-lighting of the whole panel. The letters should glow where the letters are glued in.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a local sign shop that did just that, they grooved out the back and installed LED's for a halo effect. I wasn't working there at the time so I don't know the depth of cut and such. However, the scrolls were probably too complex to make a standard channel letter cost effectively, and they happen to be at the shopping center right next door to my home. I can email you a picture of them lit at night if you like, just let me know.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, thanks for input. Now it seems they want metal letters, look solid so I will look into getting LED affixed to back. Rick, photo would be helpful, might go that route.

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did that with HDU but it was a cross for a church sign. It worked very well but the cross had a width of 2.25 inches and that was just enough room for the pockets to house the LED's. But that was about 7 years ago and I've seen LED's with a much smaller profile lately so a skinnier width should work.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A company I used to work for made routed out reverse channel letters from Medex for an interior restaurant display I designed. About 1.25" stroke with a translucent white 1/8" plex diffuser set into the backs over the leds. The letters were pegged off the face about 1". It had a nice halo light. These letter were 1" deep. Bear in mind that if you attach leds to the backs of solid letters the light won't diffuse and you'll get hot spots and reflections on the sign face.  -

[ February 14, 2015, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Brent Logan ]

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!