Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Illustrator help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Illustrator help
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
I've created this in Illustrator with revolve/map art. Can someone tell me the easiest way to get this into a useable vector format so I can bring it into Corel Draw?

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's a very cool shape. I think in almost all cases you would want to "expand appearance". In my CC version it is in the object drop down menu. But I'm thinking in older versions it might be under edit or view drop downs, just can't remember. Still no guarantee it's going to open in Corel though. The two historically don't always play nice.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the gradient map may have an issue and make a bunch of unnecessary objects.

save as a .pdf, then import into CorelDRAW

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...I'm no expert with Illy at all, but I'd strip the colour blend out first, to make it all plain grey or something like that.

Could you save it as an AI version 6 or 9 file?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trying to make thata vector..in corel its gona give you a line for each gradient. like other have said dump the color make it all black. i would print that......then lay a sheet of tranfer paper on it and hand draw the outside lines you will need for a vector........gona be the easiest way....then scan it into corel

[ February 01, 2015, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly:
Here you go. Follow this link to my drop box. Down load the file to your desktop, and then open it in Illustrator. It will give you a vector [ contour cut] file you can lay over your original artwork to make sure it is the correct size. I created it from the gif image I downloaded from this thread so the size may not be correct. If you want a correct size vector just send my your original file and I will convert it for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgppcymvyhvar2n/SPIRAL%20Outline.eps?dl=0

[ February 01, 2015, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Robert Cole ]

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.
Berlin Center, Ohio 44401

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Posts: 575 | From: Berlin Center, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My idea was to expand appearance and then delete all but the outside perimeter of each front and back section and then bring it into Corel and using a jpg, sample the colors and create the appropriate gradient for each sector. I couldn't seem to get it to the point where it would break apart into the individual vector paths. I can easily enough trace the bitmap in Corel, I was just thinking there was an easy solution that I wasn't seeing. There are also a couple fof places that need small tweaks that I couldn't seem to get to work from the mapping process in terms of lining up edges that I would be more comfortable doing in Corel. Plus it would be more convenient to have it in my primary program as the image is going to be used in a logo for business cards, signs, banners web etc, and it would be nice to have it easily sizeable etc with the rest of the logo.
My experience tells me that you are right about the two programs not playing nice Dave!

Thanks for going to the trouble of vectorizing the path for me Bob, that was sweet of you.

[ February 02, 2015, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly, after expanding appearance, you would need to "release compound path" to be able to work with the individual vector elements. Illustrator will treat your art as one unit after expanding, until doing this.

object>compound path>release

Just get in the habit of releasing the compound path after expanding appearance on anything, since it will always need this, and the art in question will always be selected following expanding, so no extra step of selecting it.

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Thanks Don!
That was the missing step.

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Thanks Don - you've helped me out a number of different times over the years. Your tip will get filed away.
One of the carry it forward best tips I can give the board is to buy Astute Graphics Vector Scribe plug-in for Illustrator. It has some VERY useful tools, and 'click of the button' work arounds that Illustrator seems to be clueless too.
I am a disgruntled Freehand user suffering with Illustrator.
Thanks!

Mick Samsel

[ February 02, 2015, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Mick Samsel ]

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Posts: 498 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to help.

I was just thinking about this and there's probably a simpler, faster way to break your original art apart.

Pathfinder>trim. That will break it apart, but also will preserve the original gradients. Followed by object>ungroup. Try it. I'm pretty sure it will do the trick for you and save redoing all those gradients.

I'm kind of rusty, so sorry I have to think this stuff out like this. Was a time it was all second nature to me. But, I've been a janitor for the past couple years and slowly going blind, so really don't get many chances to use my skills anymore. I do miss it.

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

PS. The first fix with the "release compound path" works, but it will screw up your gradients. This second method should not and should leave the gradients unchanged from the original.
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm kind of rusty, so sorry I have to think this stuff out like this. Was a time it was all second nature to me. But, I've been a janitor for the past couple years and slowly going blind, so really don't get many chances to use my skills anymore. I do miss it.
Very sorry to hear of your situation Don.

Please take care of your vision.. That is what you need. You have always been a talented designer...THAT is your forte.

Get your eyes checked out!!!!!

We have been best buddies in the past and we have had differences over the years, but I still love ya Bro. [Smile]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!