Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » One of my favorite memories.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One of my favorite memories.
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago, I had the privilege of Steve and Barb stopping by the shop. Naturally, a sheriff's deputy stopped by and promptly arrested him.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, are you gonna tell us the rest of the story?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6716 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my memories that causes me to laugh out loud was when Steve and Barb came to the Convlave and the dining establishment of choice by Rick Glawson was this big sushi bar. Steve looked in there and I saw this terror on his face as he ran off to find a burger down the street.

Other than that, I learned a lot from him about caring and unity. Steve faced many difficult decisions regarding this group over the years, and always had a thoughtful explanation for his decisions. He certainly had my respect.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6716 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in our chat days (remember that Signdog? OP? You all know who you are!) Nettie, remember our colour bars war? ahah

One day a bunch of us discovered wavs. So we'd collect all these crazy sound files and blast them over the airwaves at each other much like throwing darts back and forth.

Steve was particularly partial to "I AM NOT AN ANIMAL!" and it became his signature wav. Every time we'd hook up online or in person, he'd recite his personal wav as his greeting.

Steve, this one's for you. [Smile] I'm LAUGHING all over again!

http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/movie_sounds/elephant_man.htm

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gawd...I remember those mIRC days/nights Donna, and I now remember that WAV.

That was Steve at his best. Doing what he loved best on the "young" internet, at the time....Having fun.

God bless his innovative brain and his happy, fun loving heart.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8878 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

and remember the gift raffles on the irc?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were at the Cornwall meet, he said something about loving pickled peppers. We went to the store to buy some of the cheese curds they had at the meet, and found these big jars of pickled peppers. So I gave him one. They stayed over here one night on their way home from a Mass Mayhem meet in Massachusertts. He noticed in my pantry a can of cnnned chinese chow mein, and expressed an interest in it.
We had some of it and he liked it a lot. He said he couldn't get that at home. I brought him a can of it whenb wwe went to Cornwall.

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1697 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail & Dave Beattie
Visitor
Member # 572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail & Dave Beattie   Author's Homepage   Email Gail & Dave Beattie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehe... yep Steve always had a big appetite.
For everything, especially life itself.

mIRC... Wow that brings back so many happy memories. As you say Dave the internet was very young back then. We were playing with a new toy and creating all the time. The kids today have shocked looks when I explain that we didn't even have sound or colour to begin with... we had to build it. Remember Love Shack? [Smile]

I recall the boys ganging up on us Donna [Wink]

And conversations that degenerated into total hilarity over words with very different meanings in the countries represented.

My funniest memory of Steve had nothing to do with signs at all... Devo and I were in Canada visiting with Steve and Barb. On one of our adventures, after staying overnight near Niagara, we headed into a Denny's looking for breakfast. The hostess asked us to wait until a table opened up and requested a name for the table. Steve smiled and said Shortreed then sat down with the rest of us to wait. So after a while a waitress came towards where we were calling a name we didn't quite hear. Steve stood up and asked 'what name was that?' The young lady said 'S h i t reed table for four, are you Mr S h i t reed?' Without blinking Steve said 'Yes that's me' turned to the rest of us and with that big smile of his said 'come on lets eat!'

So here's to you Mr S h i t reed... thanks for the ride xxx

[ February 01, 2015, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Gail & Dave Beattie ]

--------------------
Gail & Dave
Hervey Bay
Qld Australia

gail@roadwarriorproducts.com.au

sumtimes ya just gota!

Posts: 794 | From: 552 O'Regans Creek Rd Toogoom Qld 4655 Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mIRC was fun times. Often we'd have 6 or more in chat, you'd be saying hi and goodbye,as pals came and left, there would be a topic of some sort going, you'd have one or more private chats going, api would be going for rum, Si would be going for coffee or a pee, signmaker, signlady and nettie were doing crazy stuff with the graphics, some would be taking a nap, a newbie would jump in and wonder what planet these characters were from, in the background there were files being shared. Cwap on a Cracker those were fun times. Then there was the late night crew. That really could get weird. Pretty much when OP got on it was anything goes. Gavin's sage words of wisdom are legendary. Kai's technical help was always there. What were those macros we used to have called?
I wish we could have a reunion.
signdog offers everyone in the room a frost shake.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks sign dog! ...*frost shake* welcomed & consumed [Wink]

I was one of the noobs to mIRC barely a half a dozen times at best.... I do remember some grab bag drawings too

..and some late crew antics

maybe even a .wav file... those were among my earliest memories here!

When I'd see Steve on mIRC, it felt like when any boss I ever had drank with the crew at a Christmas party... it was like "the mayor is one of us today" ...which I later realized he always was... but in those early days, I think that's when I first felt his genuine connection the most.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Another of the mIRC days that departed and I think about. Is Mike McLeod. Tight lines and good fishin...

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's such a foreign world, compared with today - and in such a short space of time.

If you asked today's youngsters, they'd struggle to remember life before facebook or I-phones - and who on earth would want to frequent a 'forum', let alone add coding words inside square brackets to the start and end of photo files or linked website addresses ?

Yet it was a norm once, after, as Gail says, colour was invented!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!