Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Tapcon screws

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tapcon screws
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm preparing to install a 4'x4' HDU sign up on a brick wall, about 10' to 12' off the ground. I intend to use a 3' aluminum French cleat at the top. then anchor the bottom with galvanized steel angle. Would 10 "Tapcon" screws at the top, and about 4 at the bottom, hold this thing in the brick/mortar?

Thanks

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it would.
Use the bit that come in the Tapcon package and drive them in with a cordless impact driver, not a cordless screw/drill.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure will Wayne. There is not much force pulling the sign away from the wall. Most of the force is a shear force which the tapcons will handle more than the weight of your sign. In fact I would go with 6 on top, maybe 8 at the most.

Mike, why an impact driver? Wouldn't that just crumble the mortar as the screw was being driven? I've always used a cordless driver or socket wrench to just snug up the tapcons without over tightening them. Never had one pull out yet.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mike and Dave, I have an 18v cordless, a set of hex drivers, and hammerdrill if I need it.
Thanks!

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must be missing something on my installs because everybody here wants to use more screws than I would...it is a 4'x 4' HDU sign...why so many screws?

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
over-engineered .........is better then under-engineered))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Right Joe. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

24lbs isn't much; but if it plummets into somebody's head from a fall height of 10', it could be catastrophic.

[ November 24, 2014, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Tapcons all the time. And I second your thought Dave Sherby about the impact - too often mortar mix is not too stable, and / or older soft brick. To my thoughts, the hardend Tapcon threads kind of 'tap' there way into the brick or morter, creating 'threads' and really locking in. With an impact, it's pounding and drilling, with the pounding possibly breaking up the substance you want to lock into via the threads of the Tapcon itself. Just my thoughts.

Mick Samsel

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Posts: 498 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Tapcons all the time. And I second your thought Dave Sherby about the impact - too often mortar mix is not too stable, and / or older soft brick. To my thoughts, the hardend Tapcon threads kind of 'tap' there way into the brick or morter, creating 'threads' and really locking in. With an impact, it's pounding and drilling, with the pounding possibly breaking up the substance you want to lock into via the threads of the Tapcon itself. Just my thoughts.

Mick Samsel

--------------------
Mick Samsel
Creative Services
Cherokee, IA

Posts: 498 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no problem with overkill either, Wayne. I think you don't need that many; but the tapcon's will work fine.

I seldom use an impact either, when installing them. Worst thing you can do is overtighten them, stripping out the "threads" they've made.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think what mischeif was saying was....
to start a tapcon screw an "impact" does a better/easier job..TO START IT.... then i would change the drill back to drill, no impact to finally seat the screw. this is how i have done most tapcons.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think OP is right. Mike was referring to using a hammer drill for the drill bit not the tapcon.

In concrete, a single 1/4 inch tapcon embedded 1 1/2 inch has a shear strength of 1200 lbs and a pull out strength of 1380 lbs. Even in mortar, if you end up with only 20% of the concrete values, you are at 1200 lbs. shear strength and 276 lbs pull out. 4 tapcons on a 40 lb sign is adequate, 8 would be serious over kill. I once installed a 3/4 inch MDO french cleat in a brick wall and took a pry bar to it just to see how strong it was. I couldn't budge it. Wayne, put in one tapcon and take your claw hammer and try to pull it out. The time the test takes will be worth the time saved of not putting in more than twice as many tapcons as needed. Try it, you'll see for yourself just how strong those little suckers are. Just 6 tapcons would equal 7200 pounds of shear force which is the major force on the sign.

[ November 24, 2014, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Maybe I'll just use 6 then. Thanks guys.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cordless impact drivers are a newer innovation than cordless hammer drills. They are like impact wrenches that mechanics use, delivering tiny blows to aid in rotation, in contrast to a hammer drill which delivers blows to help penetrate.

An impact driver requires less tool pressure than a regular driver. You don't have to bear down on the tool nearly as much, your battery will last longer, and there will be less of a tendency for the driver head to slip off the fastener, especially if you are using a Philips-headed Tapcon.

I tend to avoid mortar joints with fasteners, preferring to penetrate the brick instead. I've had too many screws that did not want to hold in mortar.

Another point: always clean the hole out, either with a round wire brush or a bulb syringe, and drill deeper than you need —at least a half inch. Concrete debris in the hole can easily seize the screw and break it off.
I've also heard of rubbing the threads of the screw with a bar of soap or a candle to prevent seizing up, though I've never done it.

I seldom do installs anymore, but I think our installers use their cordless impact drivers far more often than their regular cordless drivers or their cordless hammer drills. I believe they also use the impact drivers in nonmasonry applications, such as in driving large lag screws.

The complaint I have always had about Tapcons was that they rust like crazy, even if you paint them. I've seen blue Tapcons rust in the box on the lumberyard's shelf! That was before I found out about stainless Tapcons. I also like the galvanized Hilti version of concrete screws. They seem beefier than the Tapcon brand and the galvanized coating is thick.

Fourteen concrete screws on a 4x4 HDU panel seems a lot. I wouldn't use fourteen on a heavy lighted sign of that size. The weakest point on this installation will be the aluminum cleat rather than the fastener.
Concrete screws have tremendous shear strength.

Brad in Kansas City

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

iam in the middle of a bathroom remodel.......and have discovered a better type of screw head then a Phillips.it is a STAR or torx type head. these seem to not strip out....going or coming out.
http://www.deckwise.com/?en=deck-screws&gclid=COCb2bDNlcICFYIRMwodYQIArg

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks Brad, OP

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave...thanks for the very informative stats...I knew tapcons were trememndously strong and for that reason was wondering why so many were being recommended on so small and light of a sign...I was beginning to question all my installs on masonary...I feel better now...so thanks.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

You're welcome Rusty. I too believe in overkill to a point though. I'd rather use a few extra screws than file a claim with my extortion.... I mean insurance company.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Yeah, thanks Dave and Rusty. Well, I'm PUMPED about the whole thing now. Can't wait to try these Tapcons and it's also time to started working in the missus for permission to buy the new toy! [Wink] (impact driver). I'll try my old cordless first. Waiting on the weather. Here's a simulation of the job...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10425451_10152789598275709_594422303520374910_n.jpg?oh=d3bb38193136f4946b655e61f2c1b11e&oe=550F6E3B&__gda__=1427872258_0c c57670e288e0f61c0b44b53ef0946f

[ November 25, 2014, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Wayne,

I think ya shoulda used more screws. The sign is already startin to droop on the left side.

Looks Good.

[ November 26, 2014, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Don Hulsey ]

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks Don [Smile]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

On second thought...forget what I said and take Don's advice.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!