Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Introduction/Call for Submissions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Introduction/Call for Submissions
Samantha Redles
Visitor
Member # 51621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Redles   Author's Homepage   Email Samantha Redles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone!

My name is Samantha Redles and I am a Curatorial Practice MFA graduate student at the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, Maryland. My thesis project, Sign Language: Maryland's Sign Painters is an exhibition and series of programs I am curating at the Baltimore Museum of Industry. The exhibition will run April 3- September 13, 2015.

Part of my thesis project is a booklet of Tips and Tricks for the Beginner Sign Painter. I have inserted my call for submissions below! I look forward to reading the submissions and would be more then happy to provide more information about the exhibition.

Thank you to Barb and Steve for giving me permission to post my call on Letterville. I greatly appreciate it!

ATTENTION SIGN PAINTERS!!!

Think back to your very first lettering job. What are some techniques, tips, or tricks you wish you’d known at that time? What advice would you give to someone just starting out? I am compiling a booklet of tips and tricks for the beginner sign painter in conjunction with an exhibition I am curating, Sign Language: Maryland’s Sign Painters, at The Baltimore Museum of Industry. The booklet will cover brushes, layout, paints, signs and lettering, techniques and materials, and tools and equipment.

If you would like to contribute, please send:
• Your name
• City and State or Country
• The topic of your tip or trick
• An explanation of the tip or trick. (Feel free to send along any drawings or sketches that might help readers better understand it.)

Submissions are due by JANUARY 31, 2015.

Please forward all materials, via email or snail mail, to:

Samantha Redles
321 S Ann Street
Baltimore, MD 21231

sredles@mica.edu

Thank you,

Samantha

Posts: 4 | From: Maryland | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Samantha, and welcome!

Just so we are clear....the sign business has gone through a lot of changes, over the years.

Are you looking for traditional "paint and brush" type of sign painting techniques; or going more to modern day, with vinyl graphics and on to digital printing?

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samantha Redles
Visitor
Member # 51621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Redles   Author's Homepage   Email Samantha Redles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dale.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I am looking for paint and brush sign painting techniques. However, if you use photoshop or any modern day technologies that help make hand lettering easier then I would love to know what they are and how it is applied.

--------------------
Samantha Redles
Curatorial Practice MFA Candidate '15
Graduate Program Assistant
Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA)
www.micacuratorial.org
(610) 733-5369

Posts: 4 | From: Maryland | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with your project Samantha, but I am afraid that time has passed us old timers by. The sign industry has been cut down by the invention of the computer. Years ago everything was done by hand and it took lots of time and patients to hone a skill to do hand lettering. In to days economy no one wants to take the time, they want results in a hurry. The only hope is that the public will realize the value of hand lettering and it will have a come back. An other problem is that many of the products we used are no longer available or outlawed.
All this said, I would be happy to help you in any way.
Bill Riedel

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Samantha.

1 trick that I do, is to Comb the Hairs of the Brush before I letter. I find this to help with crisp lines when lettering. I also will comb the hairs after i am done cleaning the Brush prior to oiling it.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 229 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sign Painting,,,,, Walls

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Samantha.

Another tip I found was to Heat your Paint before using. The most important thing about Lettering is to make sure the Paint is Room Temperature, 75 Degree or so. This will allow you not to thin your Paint. Too many times, thinning your paint with additives creates thin strokes. Meaning, after time, the Paint will fade inconsistent. a Pure Paint will fade consistent.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 229 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!