Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Aluminum Substrate left overs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aluminum Substrate left overs
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey are the pieces left over from aluminim substrates (DiBond ACM) recyclable? Can I take them to a metal recycle place?

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know; haven't tried yet. They'll either refuse it, or dock the price because of the plastic in it.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've wondered the same thing. I have friends that have a scrap yard but I never think to grab a piece to ask them about it.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably not unless you peel the aluminum off the core.

I peeled the aluminum off some alumalite once. Got it started and wrapped it around a broom handle. Spun the broom and it peeled it off pretty well.
I only did one...decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Never tried to peel it off of dibond, maxmetal, etc...

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make some little stuff......name plates; directional way-finding arrows, etc.; comical-type street signs; possible water marker boards to write notes on......anything you can possibly make a buck on.

I did a sign for a gift shop with a couple big gift boxes on it.....bent strips of the composite and made big "ribbons" for the boxes.

WE could get into metal sculpture. I've seen some pretty cool stuff done of metal scraps.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a scrap leftover that I just could not throw out. 32x48". Then last week I had a customer order a landscape for his dining room and specified the size exactly what I had with this scrap. That never happens. A week later and after making the poplar frame with 24 coats of lacquer on it it is done. $8200. Not bad for a scrap that I did not even have to trim down. Thank my lucky stars for scraps.
See it on Facebook "McCall Fine Art"
https://www.facebook.com/mccallfineart

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are all a bunch of strips, long 1 in lenghts, small off cuts left over from doing a lot of large shape cuts.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, don't tell the environ-mentalists, but like alllll the rest of what sign shops use, carrier paper, app tape, vinyl etc, it is Not recycleable!

If they only knew, we would be using one shot again.

But would That be a bad thing!?

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do a lot of work for recycling yard and they don't accept this material because of the plastic in the middle.
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what is so screwed-up about the political correctness and phony environmentalism that's going on now.

They take away our good quality bulletin enamels, because they are "so dangerous".No thought is given to the miniscule amount of paint that our industry uses, and the tiny amount of waste that's involved with lettering/painting signs.

Then they give us vinyl, with the app tape, wasted overage, backing sheets, etc...all of which is like Bill said, waste and probably just as hazardous as the paint we gave up.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add to what Bill and Dale have said, you can be sure that the manufacture of all these sacrificial materials as well as the vinyl itself, is a far greater use of resources and raw materials than a quart of oil base paint requires. Not to mention the transportation and inventorying of all this stuff. And on top of this are the never ending equipment upgrades.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To get back to Alicia's thread, you could wait for a foggy night, place some cardboard vinyl boxes and tubes in your burn barrel, set a match to them and when it gets good and hot start tossing in the ACM cut offs. In the morning you can sell the aluminum to the recycle place and then go and have breakfast.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Dale, the politicians had to save the millions of kids that were chewing on all our signs. Especially the ones way up high.... those kids could fall and hurt themselves. And don't forget the poor psychiatrists that have lost so many patients because they don't have to figure out why these kids have this strong desire to eat our signs.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The layer of aluminum is so thin that if I had to I think I could chew through it with my teeth...if I added all my scrapes together they probably wouldn't amount to more than 2 or 3 coke cans...more trouble than it's worth.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's it, donate all our scraps to the politicians, and let them deal with it...Brilliant!!

or send them the Rusty, so all that chewin' is worth it. lol

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, a coke can is punched from a disk about 3" in diameter and about as thick as one side of Alucobond, not much there.

I worked in a commercial shop in San Jose, and we filled the big trailer size skip in a week with scrap. Six people applying vinyl. Two cutting, three weeding.... Gadzooks.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!