Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » installing signs over awnings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: installing signs over awnings
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am bidding on a small wall sign that goes above an awning for a new business. Lift equipment costs about $500 rental to get up and over an awning to install a sign. If we add our travel time, installation labor costs and liability considerations, it's pushing $1000 for just the installation cost to the customer. That is regardless of the size of the sign which in this case is a small sign. I would like to figure out a way to install this sign for less cost. Any ideas? Thanks.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Modified Drywall Stilts.

I will gang 2 or 3 jobs together when using a rented lift if possible. Costs divided 2 or 3 ways gives them a discount without it coming our of your pocket.

I find it cheaper just to pay a guy with a bucket truck $300 and be done with it. I can make that $300 back while he's hanging the sign.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your reply Mike. The problem with bucket trucks is in positioning the bucket over the awning. On small buildings the bottom of the bucket is hitting the top of the awning putting the area for the sign to be attached to the wall out of reach.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean,

Can you just remove the awning? awnings aren't heavy depending on size. how big is the awning.

Out bucket truck has a tilt, so we can get over most awnings.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look for a shop with a Van Ladder. A Van Ladder has an open bucket so you can squat down and reach the sign right near the bottom of the bucket. I called Van Ladder for you to find out if a shop near you has one of their bucket trucks. They gave me the name of L&J Signs & Awnings in Orlando. 407-650-9939. If they are too far away they may know of another shop that has one. Or you could call Van Ladder (888-887-5847) with the city where the install is located.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bob & Dave. Bob - I didn't realize the buckets could tilt back far enough. I'll look into that. Dave, thanks for checking on the van ladder. Orlando is about 2 hours away, I'll look into that further.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you span the awning with a plank off two ladders? I take it the awning is not retractable.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!