Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » coating out small boards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: coating out small boards
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 5 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody have any tricks they use when coating out small boards? Various sizes like 12"x12" 12"x24 8"x12 etc. I'd like to be able to get one side and the edges in one swoop without getting it everywhere. They are so light bit of a pita.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George,

How, about TWO push pins on one edge of each board and ONE push pin on the opposite edge of those two push pins ( the bottom edge ), tie a string to each of the TWO push pins and hang them from .......somewhere ( the ceiling ? ), hold the One push pin, on the bottom edge, with one hand ( to keep it steady ) and paint with the other hand.......You can paint each board with a foam brush or a small foam roller ( stroking in the same direction, for smoothness ) or an airbrush, etc....You could, even paint both sides of the board, using this method with no problem.

.........or, you can set them, all, on a clean flat surface and spray the hell out of them, with a touch up gun or an airbrush........Using this method, will force you to wait until the side you just painted is totally dry, before you flip them to paint the other side.

RD

[ October 29, 2014, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spray cans))))))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use push pins in wood if the holes they make are not important. If I need it hole free, or for small panels of aluminum composite panels I use Truss mending plates. They raise the panel enough to put your finger in the middle to hold it still while I paint all four sides and most of the top, then the only part where you have to be careful not to move it is the little spot where your finger is. I like to use the little 3" Shur-Line rollers for these projects.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up some pyramid things for keeping stuff lifted while painting. I'm thinking I found them in the paint aisle at Lowe's or somewhere along those lines.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a Lazy Susan with transfer tape applied tack side up to keep the panel in place.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 229 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the edges First. Then support with blocks.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use my pin nailer to drive 5/8" pins thru 1/2" panels of various sizes. this allows me to keep small projects just off the surface, and the pins are so fine that they leave no marks.

Don't leave the panels laying around, though, as leaning on them will result in a fair amount of discomfort.

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!