Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Using digital prints and other forms of art

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Using digital prints and other forms of art
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect few here would think we would use digital prints on our projects but the truth is we do occasionally when the need is there. In our current project we designed sixteen pirate characters (called Gruffles) which will be featured throughout the site in various ways. I started each out in my sketchbook and then used a digital drawing pad to create the final concept art. These characters will be mascots and sculptures through the park as well as being featured on all types of souvenir and promotional articles.

Scurvy
 -

Dudley
 -

These digital files were sent to the ride manufacture to reproduce them and mount them to the ride panels

Marvin (designed by Peter
 -

Some of the characters are also being featured on attractions and facility signs.

Kookie is in charge of the eating establishment of course.
 -

Tupper the accountant is owner of Pieces of Eight a spinning coaster ride. This is the sculpted figure that will sit on that dimensional sign.
 -

Specs is the lookout and namesake of the Crows Nest spinning tower drop ride.
 -

Some of the characters are featured as stylized tikis that will be on one of the holes of the miniature golf course.

Dug the gardener is one such figure and there are six of these in all. Here's Peter putting the finishing touches to the carved concrete figure.
 -

We are having a blast on this project and each day we do our best to raise the bar. We are now two and a half months into an eleven month prefabrication in our shop with more on the drawing board that could stretch this thing out for a long while yet.

It's way more fun than actually working! [Smile]

-grama dan

[ October 11, 2014, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, there must be something in your drinking water. You are having way too much fun, and you say that you get paid for this? Keep it up, the primary goal in life, is to find something that you love to do, and someone is willing to pay you to do it! Peace. Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeap! agree with Donald, You are having way too much fun,
You should thinking on open and Art School around there, I can imagen a lost of yought people line up to get register.
Keep your Talent up!

Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Speechless with admiration...!*

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did you ever dream up that family of characters?
What goes on in your mind Dan???
They are all so different yet look like they belong to some similar species...love the piercings!
Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inspirational, as always!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not hard to come up with creative ideas when you are on a roll. Back when I first started and did it part time I really struggled but now I find it pretty easy to come up with unusual ideas regularly. Like anything it is about practice. This is what we do all day long - every single work day.

I used to wonder after we did a real cool project what we could do to possibly top it and not repeat ourselves. That's something I no longer worry about (for even a moment) for there are endless ways to creatively solve any challenge.

I am surrounded with brilliant people who also have wonderful ideas. Most often the chore is not to come up with a good idea but rather to choose between plenty.

It's much more fun than working!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Beverly   Email Robert Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan

Great work...I look forward to sculpting a little as like you, our projects now extend over long durations and have left little time to do much else.

We have had two main projects going since x-mas and are finally seeing the installation end in site. It will be gratifying to see everything in place and completed. I will post pics once completed.

Robert

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Posts: 1023 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just Dan, doing his thang. Thanks Grandpa. Dan is the poster child for passion and inspiration. He is doing what the rest of us say we would like to do, but just never step out and begin the adventure.

"Can't" is simply not in his head.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Creating things that bring happiness to others and at the same time enjoying the effort...WHAT COULD BE BETTER...as always thanks for allowing us to vicariously share in the journey.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!