Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Bringing out the BIG guns

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bringing out the BIG guns
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are currently three weeks into a year long project that will be shipped and installed in Trinidad. For this project our crew will number ten - all that we can stuff into our shop and still get the work done. The bulk of the time for our team will be spent here in our shop and I'll be making lots of trips to the Caribbean to check on progress there and supervising the installation of our pieces. Near the end of the project we'll take a crew down for the final install, onsite work and the painting of about 300 feet of murals. It is going to be both exciting and challenging without a doubt.

As we get into the final stages of design after nine master plans and countless revisions (normal for a project of this size and complexity) the changes and additions are much smaller now. In the next week we should pretty much wrap up that phase of the project. The last good sized change (yesterday) saw the admissions building get moved about 30 feet into the park and an entrance courtyard being created in front. It will be inside a fenced area which meant we could resurrect a gate design I had done as the the first concept drawing for the project, almost a year ago. This idea had been first conceived almost a decade ago and I was anxious to incorporate it into the project if we could. It is going to be a fun one to build!

-

The parking lot in front of our shop is already getting very full with prefabricated armatures for features and signs. We'll load and send away the first containers in October. The sculpted concrete work began this week with seventeen benches first being done to establish the style and standard for the project. Once the crew was up to speed on that we sculpted our first medium sized piece yesterday...

-

-

-

The biggest challenge of this project is to create the pieces in such a way that they can all fit inside 40' shipping containers, (around 15 or so) travel safely to Trinidad and then easily be assembled on the site. Some of the pieces are quite tall (built in sections) and up to 30 feet long and weigh in at up to 10,000 lbs. 7'6 wide and 7'6 high is a very tight squeeze into a container. Our goal is to minimize our onsite work as much as possible.

Logistically this one is one of my most challenging yet with other components being fabricated all across Canada, the USA and as far away as Italy plus all of the onsite work and infrastructure being done in Trinidad. My job is make sure construction stays on schedule there while all the pieces arrive just in time and the park goes together as I imagined. The build is further complicated by the fact that we have built a temporary road into the theme park which will be dismantled as we build our way out. Once done there is no going back. One hiccup and everything will be delayed.

It is going to be FUN!

-grampa dan

[ August 30, 2014, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like fun.
Do you do anything to the concrete in terms of fillers to lessen the weight on a project like this? I have always wondered if using additives like those used in hypertufa would be beneficial. Supposedly hypertufa withstands freeze and thaw better than straight concrete as well as being lighter.

[ August 30, 2014, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing, Grandpa.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, the things you can do with a little foam and mud.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do use an additive which contains fiberglass fibers and other additives to make it stronger. We have tried many different additives in the past, sometimes with poor results. These days I am pretty skeptical of miracle cures. Weight isn't nearly as big a concern as strength... once a piece needs a forklift or crane to lift it there isn't much difference. In Trinidad there are no worries about frost and here it isn't much of a problem either.

In our shop we put removable, heavy duty castors on everything we build making it easy to move the pieces around the shop as necessary. For this project we invested in over a hundred castors and will purchase even more as we proceed. As we load the pieces with forklift and crane the castors slide off to be used again.

I'll post more pictures as we proceed.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Projects keep getting bigger, there is no end to what you can accomplish.
This also puts an end to my plans to visit you early in 2015. You will be much too busy for any company.
You will go down in history as one of the very best
ever to imagine and develop such big projects.
Absolutely the hero to all of us.
Bill Riedel

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Eddy   Email Pam Eddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, I think you and I should volunteer to help with the install on this project.

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Posts: 460 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Join the very long, long list. [Smile]

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Guns...you guys are cruising...Look'n great for sure...

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your crew in the first photo are all smiling - I can't imagine why!
My projects are tiny in scale to yours, but I understand the feeling of fun and anxiety with new/challenging projects. What a thrill when it's all completed to actually view what you had imagined in your head at the beginning of the project.
Super job - thank you for sharing it with us and can't wait to see more photos!

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Weeks-End Signs & Graphics
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 249 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Dan...

Those projects are so interesting! 10,000 lbs makes me think you ought to get a big seaworthy ship and take it from the west coast of B.C. down to the panama canal and over to Trinidad yourself, baby those pieces yourself!

Good luck in everything and I hope you enjoy all your trips to a nice warm tropical place!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shon lenzo   Email shon lenzo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VERY impressive, Dan!

--------------------
Light and Shadow
Manzanita,Oregon
shonlenzo@hotmail.com

Posts: 286 | From: Manzanita,Oregon | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, do you have stainless steel lining in a cast iron stomach to handle all that ulcer material you are bound to create, with all this construction? I hope you never lose that smile. Peace, Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Doing work that is this much fun doesn't cause me stress. My days are full and my life is busy for sure but that doesn't have to mean stress. With many players on a job like this there are many calls each day and things to work out but it really isn't life or death. I just deal with one thing at a time and then move on to the next.

I have a wonderful team to help me out. I didn't do any of the welding on the cannons. little of the mudding and carving. I won't paint them either. That's the kind of crew we have... competent and professional yet very fun to be around and a pleasure to lead. They range in age from 22-36, most fresh out of university. The longest has been with us for five years with the bulk of them being here about one year. Peter my son, who leads the crew has fifteen years with the company.

We asked for and received healthy deposits, Draws are at the end of every month. We've built in healthy margins, both in time and money so there's room for things to go a little sideways once in a while as they often do. My days seldom go as planned and some days I get little actual physical work done but that comes with the work title and is t be expected.

I don't toss and turn at night wondering what I or the crew will do the next day, but rather decide each morning when I unlock the shop door.

The rewards are huge. Today I spent a couple hours with Phoebe up at Cultus Lake Adventure Park, our recently completed project. I watched (anonymously) as hundreds of families enjoyed themselves and created lifelong memories in the world we created there. I also enjoyed the park with Phoebe too and made some memories of our own.

Then I came home and went to my happy place on my lawnmower and as I moved around the large lawn I appreciated all we had and daydreamed about the exciting things we would do in the future to our property. After that I fired up the barbecue on our new back porch and cooked supper for our family as the sun set to the west.

It doesn't get better than that. There's no worries in Yarrow.

Life s great! There is nothing I would rather do.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long before ya get your own show?

http://www.danielswoodland.com/tree_houses/customer_gallery.php

ps, what is the guy in the red shirt doing with that paint brush.....

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

When we sculpt our special mix of concrete we use a variety of tools. Once we are done we use a soft paint brush to get rid of the crumbles and smooth things out nicely. We are left with a very paintable surface. Anything we can imagine is now possible.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shon lenzo   Email shon lenzo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be great if you could post a step by step

--------------------
Light and Shadow
Manzanita,Oregon
shonlenzo@hotmail.com

Posts: 286 | From: Manzanita,Oregon | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daily progress reports are found HERE in our company journal.

-dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!