Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » testing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: testing
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Testing  -

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that your new shop vehicle? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bigass JOHN DEERE.........

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, I didn't know you is a farmer.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new Thorson shop under construction. How many trucks could Alica get in here.
 -

-

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! How come you guys didn't letter that building while you were out there! And no,this isn't my new sign shop, before anyone asks. [Razz]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is the frost level there? seems that big a building sittin on top of the ground....aint gona last long in the cold weather...

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they know what they are doing OP - see how straight the walls are. [Razz]

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The building is built on piers. They are now going to move in fill and top it off with 6" of concrete that is steel re-enforced. There is a puzzle for ya. Ignoring the space filled by re-bar. How many Cubic Yards of concrete will be needed to pour the floor? Then convert to Cubic Metres, this is how it is ordered in Penzance.
The floor is 7200 Sq. ft.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one good sized shop! I love the big doors and tall ceilings! The answer to Duncan's question is 134 cubic yards or 101 cubic meters. That's lots of concrete!

We could park our house and shop inside that building and probably still have room for our vehicles too.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think that the Good Year blimp would fit in there?

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

built on piers.....of concrete...that go below the frost line.........we used to build em like that in maine. frost level there is 7 FEET...also we built a lot of metal buildings,(potato storage, bout that size) would dig a hole 6-7 feet deep, pour the footer, then build wall forms and then pour the walls, and backfill the dirt on the outside of the poured wall. dirt acted as an insulation. yes kelly i can see they are straight......just like the 100's of metal building i had designed, drew the blue prints for, and field supervised their construction.......... when i lived in MAINE and worked for BUTLER METAL BUILDING company)))))))))

[ August 25, 2014, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

I trust your figures Dan. You've done a lot of concrete yourself. You're right that is a lot of concrete.
Joe, I really don't know the engineering behind this design, but as Kel said these guys know what they're doing.
I'm assuming the building won't be heated. Is that right Kel? Equipment storage is the main purpose, I believe. Clap you should see the size of the equipment. Two of the combines have 60' headers. That's a huge swath of grain in one sweep. No wonder they need GPS to guide them.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in 1990 I built a 36'x24' shop. My neighbor and good friend owned a concrete finishing company so I asked him to do the calculations, order the concrete and do the finishing. I trusted him.

He advised a 6" floating pad of fiberglass reinforced concrete, with no re-bar. But with an 18" deep outer footing that did have re-bar to carry the weight of the structure. He said that even thought the frost line in our area was 4.5' there would be no problems with that method. The actual building was fully insulated and heated.

He was correct. In the 18 years I worked in it there were no cracks (other than the standard precut grooves) and no heaving. All the doors and windows opened properly and there was no sagging anywhere.

(I had no water lines into the building)

[ August 25, 2014, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

DAVE... key reason it didnt crack or heave...
The actual building was fully insulated and heated.)))))))) what you did with that building is called a "Monolithic Slab." buildings that are left to the elements temp changes....will alway need to be "footed" just below the frost line. i grew up in PA. ALL the buildings and any water lines..MINIMUM 36".
here in florida......6-8"hehehehehehehehe. although i did sink my main water line coming to the property from city line....to 18" deep....as i had a garden above it))))))

[ August 25, 2014, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had frost go 13 feet deep this past winter. Most areas were on a water "let run" order to keep mains from freezing. Our little city of 1600 spent an extra $300,000 on frozen pipe thawing / replacement and the cost of everyone letting their water trickle for 3 months. It's official, we have had the coldest year since the 1800's. Our average temperature for the year so far is just over 35°. It's a pain but I have to dig my sign footings over 4 feet deep.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The building will have in floor geothermal heating Duncan. It will house an office, washroom and shower, lunchroom and possibly an apartment for a hired hand, or just bunks for the guys to crash when they are working really long hours. All that will be in the corner where all the people are standing.
The remainder of the shop will be for servicing and fabrication of machinery and vehicles. They also have dreams of restoring some old cars and trucks scattered around the property, although I think with the hours they put in that will have to be in another lifetime. [Wink]

Two of our sons have joined us on the farm in the last five years and Jim separated from the family farm he operated with his brothers. They have been really struggling to have the machinery ready in the spring due to weather and the muddy clay that the property consists of. They have been working out of a building not much bigger than a single car garage so this is going to be a HUGE change for them. [Smile]

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Thanks for that info Kel. It will truly be an amazing work space.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

using geothermal heating under that slab of concrete will keep it from moving from frost.......

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe...is it true that you had to leave Maine because one of those metal building you designed collasped and killed a man.

[ August 25, 2014, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Actually I was working with Sue on posting pictures. These happened to be handy on her camera, so that's the story of the subject material. Sue came through with flying colours. Now lets see more Sue. Maybe when your at the What the Dickens meet in Britain (Sorry Graham, Great Britain) you can post a few pics from there.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...or if she's doing something really interesting like renovating her bathroom.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

rusty..........iam coming for you....beware))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!