Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Beyond ****ed...anyone else have this happen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beyond ****ed...anyone else have this happen?
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a customer who bought a full set of Trans Am decals from Classic Industries. I laid out the back half of the car and began to install. The gold pinstripes are masked with clear premask and are Avery HP. I tried to remove the premask and the stripes were stuck to them like they have been premasked for YEARS. I picked at the edges and finally got the premask to separate from the stripes. Holy adhesive left behind batman!!! I contacted Classic and after many days of missed calls (they do not have voicemail) their resolution was to use lighter fluid to wipe down the decals to remove the adhesive...ON THE WHOLE F'N car!!! Are you F'N nuts????? Anyone else have this problem???

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shon lenzo   Email shon lenzo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but sometimes hand cleaner (without grit) works great for removing adhesive.
You know, the hand cleaner used by painters and mechanics.

--------------------
Light and Shadow
Manzanita,Oregon
shonlenzo@hotmail.com

Posts: 286 | From: Manzanita,Oregon | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My point is that I shouldn't have to remove adhesive residue from premask! Are they kidding? I have seen what clear premask does to a decal when it sits for a long time...it leaves adhesive behind!

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate to turn down work, but have said "no" to installs several times to people who buy graphic off the internet.
Had a customer price decals from me for her new camaro. I guess she didn't like my price, so she bought some off the internet. They came to her folded for shipping with creases, and not in very good shape, so I told her no, and why.
A couple days later, a shop up the road calls asking if I would help them put decals on a new camaro....turns out, it was the same vehicle. Don't know if she ever did get them put on.

Biggest problem I have with it is that if I didn't make them the first time, how do I make another if it gets screwed up? or have the right vinyl color, template, etc....

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if it will help on clear premask, but if you wet the paper mask it will help it release easier.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And like you said..."They've been premasked for years".

Judging by the numbers of Trans Am's still in circulation (and needing graphics), I'd guess this is a set they've had laying on the shelf for years, and you're the lucky buyer.

From past experience, Rapid Prep's Rapid Remover works pretty well, and doesn't require a tremendous amount of elbow grease.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Fortunately for me, the customer bought them from a reputable parts dealer so I am only out my time and shop space so far. Unfortunately for the company, my customer happens to be the County Sheriff and this is his personal car, so he has already made it quite clear to them that if I am not satisfied, they will have a problem that needs fixing (he is not the type to back down or accept excuses.) I didn't try the paper masked decals and I know, Tony, if I did have an issue, I'd just wet them down. Thanks for the tip Dale! Might resort to that.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOS(new old stock)is great find for the classic car owners........BUT SUCKS FOR VINYL STICKERS))))) these big companies need to add
EXPIRATION DATES or USE BY........certain time period.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Agreed OP! I looked for any production dates on them...nothing.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500

Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have started to refuse to install other people's vinyl. You never know what problems you will have, where they got it, is it High performance or crap vinyl, etc. So now we tell customers if we didn't produce it, we don't install it. We have made a few exceptions for customers we know but they guy off the street that wants you to install his stuff he bought on the internet, "Nope".

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

If it was a junk brand (still not a fan of Avery) or not from a reputable parts company, I don't install. But geez! Who is going to take a week to pattern a car and cut stripes for a job that you know the customer can't/wont' pay for the invested time. AND this is CLASSIC INDUSTRIES!!!

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nikki,

If a customer comes to me and asks us to apply decals they bought, I charge for the installation accordingly, I have one to do for a body shop on Monday ( ugh) but hey I'm in business to make money. Anyway, I would say your responsibility ends when the decals are applied. If there is a problem with the decals, then the customer should be responsible for rendering a solution to that problem. If more of your time is needed and he decides to hire you, charge accordingly. Clear application tape seems to be the culprit. I have a love / hate relationship with that stuff.

Good luck, would love to see the trans am when done [Smile]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still betting it's old, and that's why you're having these problems.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, to see some of these vendors having stuff like this done "over there"....with inferior grade products.

I know I'm only one voice; but I can't say I've had any problems with Avery vinyl for years. I guess I use the A6 (hp intermediate) for most things; but it's worked fine, and holds up quite well. In this day and age, with businesses coming and going on a daily basis, I don't see the point of spending big bucks for high performance, when the business may be gone next month. If it's an established customer, that's a different story.

[ August 23, 2014, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have found the rapid products (even all 3 combined if I had to!) did the trick on removing any of that overcast grit.

It's definitely ancient stock. I use to apply sections at a time to test it out. I've got anxiety just remembering all those fancy big kits I use to install, holding my breath the whole time. LOL

I do not miss applying those decals. Not one bit...

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

I only have two pieces on, so I only have the hour it took to lay out the back half into it. I can't even peel the stripes from the premask (which was my first indicator that something was amiss.) I guess I could pattern the kit (with time I don't have now) and setup new striping out of my own material.It is just a pain having the car take up space in my shop. And the sheriff is a great customer, referring many, many agencies my way besides all of the county's work. I do work for his brother and his aunt and uncle are really good friends of the family, so I am kind of taking this as a personal issue with Classic. Hopefully there will be answers soon. If it comes down to it, I guess I can continue with the stripes if they refund his purchase price, pay for a gallon of Rapid Remover and half of the shop rate.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!