Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need suggestions on installing dibond signs to inside of windows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need suggestions on installing dibond signs to inside of windows
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi gang - I am installing a 13" x 68" dibond graphic panel inside a store front window. The panel will sit on the bottom of the window sill, against the glass pane. There is a wood frame on the inside on either side of the window.

I need suggestions on how to affix the panel - from the backside if at all possible - so that it presses against the window, and will stay in place.

Wing nuts on the frame won't work - too much gap between wood frame and substrate.

I don't want to use silicone or clear vhb tape between the window and the panel - it will show through the window and look tacky to my customer and sidewalk pedestrians.

Maybe some kind of backside wire strung across the back, or spring, or grid, or duct tape around perimeter?

No body will see the back side - it is hidden under a cabinet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Weeks-End Signs & Graphics
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 249 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have access to hang the sign?

http://www.displays2go.com/P-17952/Cable-Hanging-System-for-Ceiling-Mount-Use

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale has the perfect idea. I have hung them using just eye hooks and small chain but that system looks slick [Smile] Hanging is better tham resting in my opinion

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I can't hang this panel.

The customer is a jeweler and renting a suite in an old, old building (1800's), and there is a display shelf built inside in front of the window - the shelf is supported by a wood frame on each side underneath the shelf, and the shelf actually sits butt up agains the window, so there is this small space of 13" below the shelfs edge, and as wide as the window.

The previous renter (also a jeweler) of this suite had his logo in gold vinyl applied 2nd surface to this space under the window, and then one piece of black vinyl was applied 2nd surface over the logo and entire space, so it looks like a black panel with the logo in the center.

I don't want to use the same technique because this new jeweler has alot more copy to go with his complicated logo, so if I apply his logo and copy/lettering 2nd surface to this window space, then cover it with black - I'll get that very small air gap around the each letter, and this customer told me he will not go for that.

I made a template out of corrugated plastic and dry fit it into the space, and it will work good to use a dibond panel, but I just want to make sure the panel will stay put and not fall backward out of the space/framed area.

I don't need it to be iron-clad tight in there, just snug against the window.

I hope that makes sense?

Maybe just tacks or some hardware nailed into the frame on each side - like framing a picture?

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 249 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How big is the window?

You said he won't go for the space around the letters... is printing a decal in reverse that will cover the entire window an option?

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

The space I have to fill in the window is 13" high x 68" wide.

I don't know if I have any print vendors that can print in reverse/2nd surface as an opaque - the stuff I've seen is a little transluscent, and I need it to be solid opaque - not let any light through.

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done this kind of mounting using white or gray double sided tape. Tacky? Not my work! The trick is to use good design— a border with corner ornamentation that includes the tape as an almost unnoticeable design element.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Ah, I never thought of that idea - Thanks Frank!

Can I ask what kind or brand of double sided tape did you use?

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another option would be to use a spring-loaded shower curtain hanger. These have rubber ends like cane tips. These are usually tubes that fit telescopically into each other with an internal spring that is compressed with the tension of the spring holding the bar up. You could use one behind the dibond panel to keep it in place without any visibility from the street side.

Available from WalMart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-7-16-Spring-Tension-Rod-28-48-Brass/20612038

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Another good idea - Thanks Ken!

Thanks folks for the great suggestions - I have the confidence to install this panel now, because I have options in my pocket!

I have to do the install tomorrow or Monday - I'll let you know how it turns out.

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of 12" pieces of angle aluminium. One down each side with.VHB tape or screws into the frame. You can hold it tight to the glass or let it sit a little loose. Paint or vinyl the aluminium to make it blend with the wood frame and/or the back of the dibond.

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!