Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » windows 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: windows 8
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo. So much more difficult than XP. Gonna persevere, but so far on the new laptop I am not impressed. Lost the ability to use corel or adobe dreamweaver without buying new versions. I know it will endure but so far it is a total mess, Mr. Gates.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate it.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just picked up 2 new laptops with Win 8.1 as the operating system. Took about 3 hours to get Shirl's set up with the stuff she uses. That included removing a bunch of preloaded stuff that wasn't wanted.

Just starting the setup of mine and it is going faster. In fact I am typing this on the new laptop.

Yes, things are different and I had to keep doing google searches on the desktop to find out how to do stuff, but so far so good.

I'm sure I'll find things that I don't like but I am also sure that most of them can be overcome.

Anyway...so far so good. [Wink] [Applause] [Wink]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read several articles that included comments about Windows 8 and the general consensus has been overwhelmingly that people do not like it at all. Microsoft has backpedaled and removed and changed several items. From what I've read, they have realized that they made mistakes with this OS and will be replacing it sooner than later. Sounds like typical Microsoft thinking. My opinion is that XP and Win 7 were very good. Nothing else was.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows Millenia and Windows Vista absolutely sucked!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an unsolicited update re: Windows 8.1

I don't know what the big fuss is all about with 8.1???

I just finished installing all of the programs that I have used since XP and then 7. (including CorelDraw X3 and Office XP.)

All are working just fine, and I feel comfortable with the "familiar" desktop display.

NOW...the "apps" stuff is another story.... It will take me a while to get used to using them, just like it did when I first got a "smart phone". Hey, it's all about keeping by brain sharp as I enter my 70's!!! (Watch out Si...I'm catching up to you) [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Nitzberg
Visitor
Member # 2185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Nitzberg   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Nitzberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Install Classic Shell ( www.classicshell.net )
It's a free download, makes it look and operate like XP, and it's really really good.

--------------------
Sam Nitzberg
Chesapeake Sign Company
Cockeysville, MD
410-667-4467
sam@chesapeakesign.com

Posts: 21 | From: Cockeysville, MD | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shirley houston
Resident

Member # 4021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shirley houston   Email shirley houston       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spend lots of time on tutorial in Youtube. It will be worth the watch. My laptop is 8.1. Still don's like it but can get around better. It definitely is a learning curve. If you make a mistake it takes forever to find the place to correct it.

Good luck.

--------------------
shirley houston
shirley's etc
384 hillcrest st.
marianna, arkansas 72360
870-298-2624 shop
870-295-5409 home

Posts: 127 | From: marianna, arkansas 72360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They call it progress.

I just got my drone to link up to my customer base.
I've outfitted it with a 24" roll sleve and two 3 mechanized robotic arms.

My test drone flys on site and applies any vinyl I load on the roll. It's fully equiped to clean and apply vinyl to vehicles without rivits right now, but I'm working on that.

With the video camera, I can monitor progress while they letter at my customers site.

All I do is sit back and watch.
You guys are still putting vinyl on by hand?

Suckers!

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reality is that Windows 8....

-

...can be painful.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my corel and adobe won't load.I am extremely dissappointed. pointed so far after many hours of trying to get it to just do the basics. I think this is the biggest coup for apple I have ever seen.

to make you rebuy all your software is nuts. Like buying a new car that requires you to then pay extra for the keys after you get it homeand then you discover that you have to go buy a battery to get it started and then something else. Very poor show MSFT

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

I guess I am lucky??? [Wink]

CorelDraw X3 and Office suite XP installed just fine on the Windows 8.1 laptops and so far they have not encountered any problems. Other programs that I use, some of which date back to Win 95 also installed and work just fine.

(For Joe's satisfaction... [Big Grin] ...Yes, the laptops are running Win 8.1 64 bit)

Maybe there IS a big difference between Win 8 and Win 8.1? I do know that the laptops booted up to desktop right out of the box and if I don't want to, I don't have to ever use the "start" button and look at all those stupid "apps" that hold no interest to me.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hated, hated, hated it. I bought a laptop with Windows 8.1 in April kept it for less than a week and returned it and ordered a Windows 7 pro laptop from Dell.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dave........my problem with 64 bit windows 7, 8 or 8.1.....is not corel it has to do with running older ROLAND CUTTER, printers and scanner. my canon u656 scanner...WILL NOT WORK ABOVE XP..... why? cause canon did not creat a 64 bit driver for that old scanner. had the same problem with my ALPS PRINTER... after WIN98, there are no drivers for it, so it sits in a box out in the garage. so when i upgrade to win7 or 8.1......i will have to buy a new scanner and throw this one in the trash, just so i can have an up to date os??? dont make sense to me. i also run an older ENCAD 736 inkjet printer......it also will not work in a 64 bit environment. as for the usefullness of 64 BIT...... only in games.....will it produce any advantage.

[ June 08, 2014, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a new laptop this year running w8.1 & found I couldn't use any of my important programs (coral x5, Flexi or maintype among others) so short of destroying the harddrive or worse, made some changes. Found the identical harddrive on ebay, took out the 8.1 harddrive & replaced it with one formatted from a w7 running computer. Tried to start that one in new laptop & came up as not recognized. In fact no other boot option was possible other than bios attempt to restore 8.1. Did some research & change is possible but only by following outlined parameters (if you want everything back in factory-working order). If your machine allows you you have to make some bios alterations. Turns out 8.1 uses a whole new bios parameter setup over older windows versions. If available, go into bios & disable Secure Boot. Afterwhich, in system menu section, find UEFI and change to CSM or legacy. 8 & 8.1 use UEFI and every other operating system before it uses CSM. By changing those parameters you can now install w7pro 32bit on your system. But make sure you have all drivers needed to setup your devices (like video & wifi etc) before making changes to new op system. After that all my programs are back up & running fine. But if I ever need 8.1 again, that harddrive is sittin on a shelf & if reinstalled would be back to factory original but only after bios change back to UEFI.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

I think what msft did is deplorable. like buying a new car that requires different gas that you can only get at the msft station. Cute trick and it will spell the end of msft and will only boost apple, I bet....unless they see that msft is onto something.

Just the simple task of using Word or Excel is so odd. Cant expand the width of cells without finding the option on the task bar. They failed the "make it intuitive" and are probably all laughing at our frustration. Very disappointed with this system.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Here is a screen shot of Win 8.1 with Corel X3 running. I don't know what I did right to make Corel X3 work with 8.1, but before I even tried installing it I went to the Microsoft website and searched for compatibility and they said it would work and sure enough, it does! I've been using Draw on this laptop for about 10 days now and have had no issues.

-

Please don't get me wrong. I am very glad that I also have Win XP and Win 7 machines to still work with while I get used to this new operating system. My only purpose in doing the screen shot was to show that for some reason, I have not run into the difficulties that most of you seem to have.

[ June 09, 2014, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows 8

Thanks Obama...

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Joey....And CorelDraw

Thanks, Canada [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dave...

BTW, I thought you retired...

I may be luckier than all of you. as I never had the need to use all of those programs, computers, plotters, fonts, cards and sticky stuff to enjoy my life... Just hand me a brush, an idea of what one wants and if I agree I'll have it done in a few hours [Rolling On The Floor]

[ June 10, 2014, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Joey Madden ]

--------------------

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Fully retired here Joey....Haven't worked for a living in 6 years.

I just play with CorelDraw because I do love trying out new things with it. Can't just sit around and do nothing all day!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Well whenever you need something as simple as my work, I'd gladly come out of retirement for ya Dave..

--------------------

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Thank you my friend!!!

I do have a new ride, 2013 Camaro convertible, and I would like to "personalize it" in a discrete way. I am thinking pinstriping. Around here the few Camaros are either plain jane or have the standard factory installed "racing stripes".

(I know it is not a Mopar, but it is a very nice ride!! [Big Grin] )

I'll send you a couple of pics and maybe you could recommend an idea or two???

I would love to drive out to the west coast again this summer and get you to work some magic but I have a necessary colonoscopy scheduled for later this month and Shirl has cataract surgery scheduled for late July.

It sucks to have to schedule fun stuff around medical stuff...but the medical stuff is what keeps us old farts rockin!

[ June 10, 2014, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, I've had a few Mopars in my day, I wish I still had them, now Im saddled in with a 79 Corvette. Much easier to find parts and so much easier to work on GM's, post some images of the Camaro.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear windows 8.1 only works good in Mexico.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Here you go Bob, and for Dave, these are re-sized in CorelDraw X3 on Win 8.1 right here in Canada!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

-

-

-

OK Bob, I showed you mine...Show us yours!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Applause] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Dave,

I only have some pre-purchase photos of the car complete, all the other photos I have are the car in pieces [Smile] or stages of disassemble.

If all goes well we will be installing the rebuilt engine this weekend. Once I get the front suspension back together.
[IMG]http://  - [/IMG]

and the fresh new 350 or 360 if you wish lol

Dave, Nice convertible! I can appreciate that. :)only t-tops here, but at least they are glass. I've sat in a few corvettes with painted tops and felt closed in.

[ June 16, 2014, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Nice ride Bob.. I bet you can't wait to get it on the road!!!

Not too much in the way of computer controlled stuff that makes it hard to do your own maintenance???

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Nope, all the smog stuff from the late 70's has been removed [Smile] even the heads are from the late 60's. Even though the car has only 70K miles the rubber bushings were all cracked in the front end from sitting. So I am putting all new parts in ( while the engine was out ) and painting as I go. My goal is to have it driving for July 4th weekend [Smile]

[ June 16, 2014, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!