Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » World class employees

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: World class employees
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear so many negative comments these days about young people and new employees who fail to perform. I have found the opposite to be true. Right now we have topped twenty employees and are still growing.

I like to hire young people, most often with little or no experience. My intent is not to save money for I pay them well. Even the greenest, straight from high school starts at $14 per hour. The young people I hire are eager to work and eager to please without fail. The only things they lack is experience and skills. We can provide those.

We pair the newbies with those who have been with us a while. The 'seasoned' employees know what is expected and take great delight in guiding the new folks. I find as their responsibility grows their skills and confidence do as well. With many teams working on the site there is a friendly 'competition to get more done. We encourage it. We rotate each crew member through many different tasks, cross training the crew in the process. We also shuffle the crew often to give each member the broadest experience possible. It also prevents boredom. The work we are doing is hard physical labor, often in not very nice conditions and yet the crew is always laughing and joking and encouraging each other.

I have found that everyone performs to ever higher levels when we take notice of well performed duties. Expect the best of someone, notice and recognize when they do it and a new standard is set in the process.

It is fun to watch each of the new employees go from shy and hesitant to confident and skilled workers in a relatively short time.

-

-

I make sure each evening as they pack the tools away in the tool trailer that they turn around and take notice of what they have accomplished during the day. The work our crew is doing is nothing short of world class!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure for some of them it is a dream job. [Smile]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks like Dan are few and far between, but aren't we glad that they exist?

All of us eventually find what we are searching for. Dan just always searches for the best, whether in his own work or in the heart and passion of others.

If we look for the good, it becomes evident. The opposite is also true.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
World class employees, come from world class employers. Dan, you will always reap what you sew.

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't say it any better Mr. Miner.

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sources to help people see and chase their dreams with confidence is something sorely missing in our world today...You my friend are one of a rare few who have the gift to do just that and do it well...Thanks for that...Pat

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you imagine how much better off our country could be if other employers followed Dan's example?
Now here is a true National Treasure in my opinion.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't it be great if Dan had a reality TV show for tryouts for the next creative person he hires?

Sort of like the Jim Henson Creature Shop Challenge
on SYFI

I can see it now: Build a funky looking train going through a funky looking mini golf course and do it in just 3 days! [Smile]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!