Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » CorelDraw function question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CorelDraw function question
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you tell me if there is a way - either by default, or after execution - to have CD create 'rounded' ends when applying a 'contour' to an open path?

By default, the ends are always 'squared-off', and they intersect through the open end-point.

I would like them to be 'rounded' and curve around the open end-point at the same distance as the contour is applied to the rest of the path.

Easy selection in Illustrator.... I imagine there is an easy way in CD?

Thanks!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there is Todd but you can achieve that a different way.

Rather than using Contour, you could add an Outline (Stroke). In the Outline options you can select a round end. Once you have it looking like you want it to, under the Arrange menu select Convert Outline to Object.

[ March 08, 2014, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Terry Whynott ]

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhh..... that's a creative solution Terry! Thanks.

In between my post and your answer, I discovered another way to achieve 'rounded corners' on a 'contour outline'..... takes a little longer, but it did work: I applied my contour. Converted the Contour to curves. When doing that, it makes 4 nodes around the end of each open path endpoint. I used the 'shape' tool, then, to surround the outermost corners of the contour at those endpoints and 'deleted' them.... which automatically makes a nice curve around from the nodes of the contour just behind the deleted corner nodes.... if that makes sense.

Thanks for your suggestion. I am going to give that a try.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In X6, it's one of the options in "contour"

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to know, Rodger! I'm still on X4.

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Like*, *Like* & *Like*

( X-3 here! )

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd, in Corel you can also experiment with the "Fillet/Scallop/Chamfer" docker.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Thanks guys....

Rodger... I found it on the tool docker.... it wasn't readily identifiable.... but I located it. Thanks!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!