Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Tyvek questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tyvek questions
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 5 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When people talk about making window splash on Tyvek, are they talking about the stuff at Lowe's? Or the stuff I used to get years ago at a sign supply place? Thanks.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyvek is a white material with random long fibers in it. Very strong and lasts well. Lightweight and very usable for banners and splashes. The biggest problem is that it does take fluoro enamel a long time to set up -AND- it wrinkles the stuff, causing at least a day of dry time in between color changes...very frustrating, especially when outlining is needed. I have seen these used by somone else where they must have used a latex based fluoro as there were no wrinkles. I usually coat it out with white latex and then coat with the fluoro.

Time wise, it takes up to four times longer to do a splash on Tyvek, compared to simply doing it on the outside windows.

I did one that I suspended with brass eyelets on a cable some 150 foot long in 2 long sections, either side of the double front doors. The reason was that they could not use it during the week with the city's regs, but on Saturday they had a PT Cruiser or Mini-van Sale. The first section was interchangeable with the PT or Mini. I recall there were four different first sections all together. 4 separate cables for each one. It worked for maybe three years, until they remodeled the storefront. They worked just like drapes and I made some little 2x4" double thick dibond pieces that I drilled into the aluminum mullions to install the perpindicular ends for the stainless cables. Worked like a charm and were tight as a drum, 75' long on each side.

Naturally, I had to buy one extra roll of the Tyvek to get the one last section which left me with 75' of the stuff (54"). Finally, I had another splash on the inside that I used up all of the stuff. I do not try to sell these anymore s they take too long to do and prefer banner paper for the inside jobs.

N. Glantz and Son, Inc. does sell some pre-coated fluoro paper that works great and you save the time and material expense of having to coat out big areas of the expensive fluoro enamel. Used it many times. It is a little heavier than banner paper but looks great. I used it just like painting a window, but it is more opaque than banner paper.

I found a better grade of paper roll a couple of years ago that is heavier than banner paper they use in digital printing. White and has some plastic coating on it that helps with strength. Can't remember what brand or how much it was, but an interesting material.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Craig Sjoquist will see this and chime in. I know he has some unique ways of doing Splashes.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pierre Tardif uses Tyvek with water based fluoro ... works great!

Do a search and see what he does.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 2 cents worth & excuse will have to make 3 or 4 posts cause my WiFi did not let me upload the last one were I explain it all after typing a 1/2 hour grrrrr lol

Tyvek works great paint with water base ONLY & use double sided banner tape cut in 1" squares, several at corners & curves.

This maybe the best for cold weather installs compared to the vinyl method I use.

Problem is it might peel up in spots & it sorta looks winkled which may or not be a concern with customers for cold weather installs maybe only way.

Next posts on vinyl

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Pierre Tardif use Tyvek with good success 1st seen it in 2000 in Signcraft & he inspire me to try, instead of painting on glass.

So after Tyvek I went to white vinyl mask because of previous problems mentioned.

I tried white Static cling next, this was also great, paint in shop & apply except it also curled up & faster then Tyvek grrr lol

About that time also I tried Accugraphaics white vinyl mask 4ft X 150 rolls but had to paint on site & found 2ft rolls was much easier to install, cause in the wind it would stick to it self & not easy to separate.

This method for me turned out best cause people would see me painting & ask for signs plus available locally anytime at a cost of $100 per 2ft roll

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
3220 N.O.B.T

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Next one I liked alot was Exac-tac comes in both white & clear..But had to order from Texas & a 2 week wait, Cost was over $200 for a 54" X 150 ft roll.
This one is very easy to install even at 54" it does not stick to self well for windy days.

Have not tried painting in shop with it & installing on site nor cold weather installs, mainly because of availability for me.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
3220 N.O.B.T

Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Next is one that works well for painting in shop & applying on site, & can be painted with any paint then clear coated, install cost a bit over $200 for a 4ft X 150ft roll & a wait to receive for me.

Avery transit white vinyl MPI 2121-It might come in clear also
cold weather install it will crack so being careful of course the reason I mentioned clear vinyl to install inside & after painting message back with white paint.

Hope this helps & will glad to answer questions

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
3220 N.O.B.T

Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Almost forgot your Tyvek question of where to get & which kind.

Even though the type ya get at a Lowes has Tyveks brand on back it is the same type & weight that works & you probably can get that as white on both sides at at a sign supply but does not know where.

I order mine from Tyvek & it is available in several grades or thickness, forgot the sizes available & cost.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
3220 N.O.B.T

James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. Right now, I'm using up an old roll of 30 inch black vinyl. Pretty big roll, so old that the tack has diminished to the point that it handles well in these situations. What's weird is that somebody left it in front of the shop I used to have in the little nearby commercial district. No note, just this big roll of vinyl, and a few smaller ones. I scruff and clean the vinyl, then draw the letters on with a white china marker. Then, I go around the letters with a redish-carmine colored Sharpie marker. Next, I spray a coat of Rustoleum's Painter's Choice 2X coverage white spray paint. Awesome coverage, good dry time. Then color, outline, and clear coat. I'm going to make a separate post about the marker.
Thanks again Craig for all your tips; I saw your comments late last night at another forum, and had pretty much decided to go with vinyl after reading that. Just as soon as I use up this black.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago when it first was made, a salesman gave me a big roll to try out. It lasted for years and we had no problems with it. Now years later it has many uses including covering new construction on homes.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use it as a ground cloth when backpacking.

-

I also print my topographic maps on both sides of a piece.

I quit making banners out of it because people thought it was butcher paper and therefore thought the banner should be really inexpensive.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Tyvek for large perforated patterns - it's the ticket for windy days when paper just won't hack it.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I used to paint the ice for the Tampa Bay Lightning the patterns we got from Jet-Ice were Tyvek. The ones I made were butcher paper. The only problem with the Tyvek was you had to put weights on it to keep it in place while pouncing, the paper you just dampen it on the corners with your fingers and freeze it to the ice.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!