Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Cracked HDU, suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cracked HDU, suggestions?
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This question was asked by the guy who bought our sign company in St. Louis. Here's his question.

Have a problem with a HDU sign we did. This is a routed sign that I installed about 6 months ago. It is mounted to a piece of MDO that was secured to the brick structure.

It was attached to the plywood with construction adhesive and screws that were hidden under snap caps. You may have to in large picture to see caps. The sign has split and now looks like a map of the US. At first I thought it was the paint that cracked but once I got closer it’s the HDU itself. Any clue what I may have done wrong?
 -

My thoughts to him were, just guessing I'd think it was a expansion, contraction problem between the mdo and the hdu. Probably if you hadn't glue the pieces together it wouldn't of happened. Over size drilling the holes a little would let the hdu move. Any other suggestion

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've glued many pieces of hdu to mdo and never had this problem. What I see is that the sign is tight between the brick. I think that caused the problem. Expansion of the sign or the brick or both made it even tighter. Is it exposed to the sun? Being black would increase the problem.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's only a problem on top- could water or rain have got in & tried to swell the plywood?

Very peculiar...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with goddinfla on this one...looks like the sign was too wide to fit the space so the left border was trimmed off...then I bet that the sign was forced in between the columns...if that is what happened then with heat the brick and sign expanded into each other...probably why we see the breakage in the center...pressure coming in from both sides of the sign.

[ January 30, 2014, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah.
Eight bolts on a 4 foot sign?
That's 4 too many.

That thing was pulled and pushed in every direction.

[ January 29, 2014, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Mikes Mischeif ]

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All valid suggestions. Why use a material that rots with one that doesn't? Using aluminum for a backer, not jamming the sign into a tight space and anchoring the sign with studs set into oversized holes with silicone most likely would have prevented it.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im with Wayne on this one, From the begining I never trusted using MDO as a backer, and in this install, it doesn't even need one. Im going with the tightness of the install, and the MDO.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Filler and black paint.
[Smile]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!