Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 2 contacts 1 customer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 contacts 1 customer
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are doing a simple site sign for a business here in town that is relocating into a new building. Right now the location is just a field. The sign says future home of & has an arrow.

The problem is, I am dealing with 2 contacts from this one customer & they don't seem to agree on some of the very basic aspects of the sign. The guy thinks the type should be blue, the lady thinks it should be black. She thinks it should have this little leaf icon that is on her business card & he thinks the leaf thing is stupid. Both of them have said "I'll handle" the other one.

I honestly have no idea which one of them is really in charge or where either of them are in the company hierarchy. I sent a sketch out to both of them with 4 different layouts 2 blue & 2 black. Now I wait to see what happens.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave
www.diazsignart.com < basic site
www.diazsignart.net < flash site
muralmuseum.com < International Walldog Mural & Sign Art Museum

Posts: 316 | From: Pontiac Il | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice would be to deal with only one person if at all possible. It can get unnecessarily complicated if you don't.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben...I had to laugh at your problem..

I had a long standing client (10+ years) who I lettered probably 500 tractors and 300 trailers for over the years. They hired a couple of young, fresh out of college, kids who thought they knew everything. They were watching me work one day and made the common "quip" that I was doing one side the wrong way. Only they weren't "quipping"!! They were dead serious.

I told them to take a walk around the yard and look at every single tractor and trailer and then go ask the company's CEO if she thought I had been doing the work wrong for the last 10 years!!!!

They still refused to believe I was correct and I had to go to the CEO myself and take her to these two imbeciles to let her explain that they should mind their own business and leave me to do what I knew how to do.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the beginning of the process I make it known that I only listen to one person - they decide among themselves who that is...especially churches.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben,

Just give them 24 hours to resolve their differences and, then, have only one of them come and tell you what they want.........Otherwise,they have to get someone else.......Let's keep our dignity in place and stop being so tolerant, with these self proclaimed designers.....Not on my watch !

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normally this doesn't happen, but in this case these two both had their hands in it from the very beginning. It is one of those things where I'm not even sure how we ended up in the middle & I'm sure they will figure a way to work it out. They're not really nitpicking the design or a problem to deal with, if anything it's kinda funny watching them back and forth. Most recently he wrote me back & said he liked one of the blue designs without an icon, but he would check with her first. So, my guess is tomorrow morning when I get in I will have an email from her requesting the black design with the icon. We will see.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave

Posts: 316 | From: Pontiac Il | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She is the administrator of the business and he is on the board. I'd say she should be handling it and he should listen to his adminstrator but he really is trying to take a "hands-on" approach. [Roll Eyes]

[ January 22, 2014, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Jane Diaz ]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who has the checkbook?

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bem, you gave them FOUR designs? That's two too many!
You need one severely poor, ghastly design, and one great one, and explain to them why the great one is better & more effective, and they'll both agree with you: problem solved!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Ian on this, although I am so guilty of doing the same. Giving them too many choices muddies the waters - and frequently the sign.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

It's a site sign & not a very complex one. One color block letters. The 4 layouts are to show with or without the leaf icon thing & black or blue text. I didn't spend hours doing different killer designs. The funny thing about it is that the basic decision of black or blue is the major point of contention. He said it "needs to be blue" & she said that they "have done away with blue". We'll see what today brings.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave

Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

And... She picked the black sign with the icon. I must be psychic. [Roll Eyes]
I sent them an email saying:
quote:
I'm not really sure who has the final say on this sign & I am getting very different directions from both of you. I will let you decide between the two of you which direction I need to go.
In the mean time I'm gonna go pop some popcorn because I got a feeling I'm about to be front row for a really good show.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben,

That was an outstanding response, on your part....!!

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

I just got a call from the guy. He basically said that him & her are a team & that they have been making all of the other decisions on this new facility as a team. He said that they would figure it out & he would let me know which direction they wanted to go in. He also added that he thought his idea of how it should be was good & that hers was bad.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave

Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

We have our final decision & drumroll...... It looks like she wins. Well sorta, now instead of the sign saying future home of the business's name with an arrow pointing toward the site, it will say the business's name have an arrow toward the site & will say future home of at the bottom of the sign. [I Don t Know] We are also doing another sign to go at the site which will say future home of the business's name & has the stupid leaf icon in the middle. Whatever, at least we have a final say & they have what makes them happy.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave

Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In black or blue, Ben?

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about really dark blue?

Of course, the clients might be black and blue after they get the pecking order straightened out...

[ January 23, 2014, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

Black. Oh & she came in just before the days end to make one last change. Now it's supposed to say future home instead of future home of. [Bash]

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave

stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
25 years ago, a 7-biz-architecht comp paid me 200 US to have a 2 hour-meeting just to tell them to shut up and let men do the work [Wink]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One order: one customer; or else you wind up beeing a negotiator insteed of a painter.

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to bring in the Henry Ford clause - you can have any colour as long as it's... [whatever we have most of on the shelf and want to get rid of fastest] Any other singular colour will be a bit more expensive...

[ January 24, 2014, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!