Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How Best to Stick It On?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Best to Stick It On?
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...I'll show my sign ignorance once again...I'm always using wood or hdu for my signs and have used the aluminum faced sign boards only a couple of times...2 questions...what's the best way to attach an hdu cutout piece to one of these boards?...and secondly...will Magic Sclupt stick to these boards well...could the different expansion and contraction rates of these 2 materials cause a potential problem.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, if you don't mind a piggy-back; I have a terrible problem with the alumawhatever panels. It seems that they are powdercoated and I can't find a primer that will grab on. I have used several acrylic paints with no success. We used to have a flat white enamel primer from Chromatic but it is no longer available...or at least I don't find it anywhere. Any suggestions? Anyone? Anyone? Jer

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty,

I don't know if it's much help, but could you drill and screw through the back of the panel and into the hdu?
I might try some majic smooth for adhesion and the screws would also secure it.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Rusty, I use epoxy to attach an HDU piece to Alumalite or DiBond. I run a bead around the perimeter and then a few strips several inches apart. If possible I will run a few screws in through the backside. Another method is to drill pockets into the back of the HDU (3/4 to 1 inch forstner bits are best because of their flat bottoms) and insert a Gemini Letters stud then fill with epoxy. Then I'll drill holes through the aluminum and attach with a nut. (I drill the holes into the aluminum first, align your hdu piece in position, push an awl through the hole into the HDU to mark your dead center for the stud.)

For Gerald, for both DiBond or Alumalite, I've simply sanded the painted panel to let your pain have something to grab onto. No primer, just topcoat. I've used Porter (Acri-shield)acrylic house paint, One Shot (when it was still good) and automotives without any adhesion problems. The two brands I mentioned are not powder coated, they are proprietary paints, a polyester paint I believe.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gerald, I've been trying to get some answers for a long time, about getting something to stick to these powdercoated panels, with not much luck so far.
Haven't tried it yet, but I've been using a primer by Zinsser, called Cover Guard (Lowe's) that sticks like crazy to most anything. Might be worth a shot.
I'm going to try and contact the manufacturer, for their recommendations on finishes that may be used on this surface. So far, not much sticks.

Rusty, you were concerned about the different expansion rates between the aluminum and the HDU. I think I might prefer to try some silicone adhesive, rather than the epoxy, to compensate.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave; I always scuff the panel if painting it and that doesn't seem to help much, which surprises me. It works ok on bare aluminum so I think it is the factory top coat. I'm using Alumalite panels. I used to have a similar problem when striping white Ford trucks. Nothing would stick to the front fenders and hood. Not much chance to scuff on a new truck. I wonder if the new water base primers for auto body would be any better?

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll I'm wondering if they have changed their paint. I have painted Alumalite with Porter latex, automotives, and years ago, One Shot when it was still good, and every sign lasted years. And my only prep was scuffing with a 3M pad and then cleaning thoroughly.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.kilz.com/primer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=681d535890130410VgnVCM100000216310acRCRD&WT.mc_id=klear

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TEST THE KILZ FIRST. To find out if ti works for you. At Sherwin Williams...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, for all these years, all those aluminum panels were painted, with real paint....what we were told was, it was baked enamel. This is the same stuff they use on the outside of semi-trailers....very tough and easy to paint, as you described.

These new panels, for the most part, are not painted, but powder coated....an entirely different process. There are many conflicting pieces out, on how easy or not easy it is, to paint this stuff.

I know, normal prep and paint does not work, and the paint will peel right off. Past work I've done on race cars was "iffy" also, as the touch-up did not want to stick on chipped/scratched areas very well.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scuff or sand, Degrease or Lacquer thinner wash. Had good luck with SW Multi-Purpose primer. It is waterbased. Have also had good luck with Ben Moore DTM on most any surface with or without primer. Must do the prep.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

After exhaustive testing and unbridaled expense, I've come up with an illustration of what will and will not stick to powder coating.

The test panel is a scrap piece of the 3/16" aluminum composite material, with red powder coating. I wiped it down, twice, with Rapid Prep; marked it roughly halfway, and lightly sanded the right side with 150 grit sandpaper...just enough so that there are the slightest signs of the background aluminum showing. Remember, powder coating is VERY thin, so it's easy to sand thru.

All the paint samples were done last Friday, the 20th, and allowed to sit/dry in the house til today. These were paints I've used on a regular basis, and had on hand.

With just scratching with my fingernail,as you can see, none of them did a great job on the left, non-sanded side; some failed miserably.
As you can see on the right, sanding seemed to be the key to adhesion.

The 1 Shot with acrylic enamel hardener did great, as did the Zinsser Cover Stain primer, and the 1 Shot on the bottom. The acrylics did pretty well too, but didn't seem to fare quite as well.

Gives a bit of insight on what may do a better job on a particular project. What's still unanswered to me, is what if you're doing any hand lettering or border work on these panels? Sanding will certainly ruin the factory finish , and it's pretty impossible to just sand the areas where lettering or borders will go.

So, are the manufacturers trying to tell us we've got to stop using paint.....or what? [I Don t Know] [I Don t Know]

[ December 26, 2013, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!