Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Accepting Credit Cards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Accepting Credit Cards
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found out that we're paying $20 a month to the company that we run the cards through. They also get a percentage of what we do. We own the machine, and some months never use it and we don't use it frequently. What alternatives are you using?
It's not worth twenty a month to me.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use Square, the one you see advertised on TV and all over the internet. No monthly fee and a small fee for the transaction. I had a service a while back that had monthly fees and percentage charges that cost much more than we ever took in.

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use both Square and now PayPal has a reader- it came in very handy a few weeks ago- I was at the school where my wife works and just happened to have my phone and card reader with me: I was doing a t-shirt project for the school and they are sometimes kinda slow about getting payment out... The administrator that placed the order asked if she could just go ahead and pay for the project with the school credit card- a few seconds later I had $875.00 in my Paypal account, which I used to pay for the product thru PayPal as well. They charge a percentage on the transaction, but no monthly fees or anything

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used NPC for the past 12 or 13 years.
I own the machine
No statement fee (if you opt to check them online)
25 cents per swipe
1.3% for debits
1.9% standard credit card
or double that for corporate or rewards cards.

The best part is no machine rent and no statement fees....but the rates are pretty good too.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Square something that requires one of those internet phones? Do you need an Apple product to work it?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Square requires a smart phone but it doesn not have to be an Apple. I've been using one for a year and a half and it's been great.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Square, do you HAVE TO swipe the card, or can it also be "keyed" in over the phone?

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can key in information also Don.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Where I live cell phones are very iffy. Sometimes they work and if you turn your head the connection is gone. Internet is slow. No cables and slow satellite is all we have, so the smart phones don't make sense for us. I'll check out that NPC company.
One of my friends uses Costco, but I see they re sell it to Elavon who does it for much less. I'd like to not dump the service to our customers, but for how seldom we use it, the current expense isn't justifiable.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that same issue of unaffordable charges connected to the CC Com....I have used the square for almost 2 years. We had a sprint phone for a while- had horrible connection - but I never had a an issue when entering a CC. But I guess that would be a question to raise to someone.
I will say that my money is deposited almost twice as fast as my old CC company. I did a transaction at 7:30 thursday night, and by Friday, 9:30 am I had an email stating that it was deposited. [Smile] I Highly recommend it.

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 574 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, if you key it in, the fee is slightly higher.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

We spent some time yesterday comparing a few of these companies and found not too much difference between a few of the best prospects price wise. One company would re program the old machine that we own and another would sell us a USB device and the third uses a program on the computer without any device. How would you compare those options? Simplicity, security, longevity, value of investment? They want $160 for the set up charges or for the USB thingy.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

also, we seldom swipe a card, most always someone giving info over the phone

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you might also talk to your bank- sometimes they offer solutions as well- a few years ago my bank processed a large credit card payment for me and offered me several services for future transactions, but I didn't have much need for them at the time.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

I like Elevon a bit better than NPC. NPC wants $159
to get me set up and the other is free but has a .03 % higher rate. Seems the way this is going eliminates me needing to use my Hypercom machine any more and it all happens from a website. Is it really that easy?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RixRax
I frequently use CBH ...
thats Cash on the Barrell Head.
Some customers are allowed to write me checks too.
lol

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..... wish my income posted double .....

[ December 12, 2013, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Sacks:
I like Elevon a bit better than NPC. NPC wants $159
to get me set up and the other is free but has a .03 % higher rate. Seems the way this is going eliminates me needing to use my Hypercom machine any more and it all happens from a website. Is it really that easy?

Wow! I guess NPC has changed. I don't remember any charges to get set up. They even sent me a free terminal...but that was about 12 or 13 years ago. Tell them the other company's is free and they might wave it.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going with square now that I finally have a smart phone. I was using PayPal but discovered some of my corporate accounts don't allow their corp. cards to use PayPal.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just changed all my phone lines to digital.
Saves a ton of money.
I had to change my credit card machine to the Square devise on the smart phone.
It really is the simpleist and easiest way to go.
They take 2.75%

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the Square & I love it. I usually explain it to customers, but I had a guy over 70 years old not even blink when I grabbed it - he already knew all about it. Fee is a little higher than banks but there is no monthly fee, no dealing with the "compliance" crap & I can use it anywhere. CC numbers can be keyed in rather than swiping but for a little higher rate, the same as traditional cc processing. I'm thinking their cut-off is around 5 pm California time to be deposited the next day.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Some of what I found...the company we've been dealing with said that a month after my three year contract with them expired it is automatically renewed if I don't say stop, and I need to buy my way out of contract. They also offered me a program with a 2.2 rate and a monthly fee of $8. Looks kinda nice.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!