Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » pricing help for painting a gym wall

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pricing help for painting a gym wall
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Painting friends,
It has been too long since I priced anything painted and need your help. I have a 1-color logo for a church gym wall (smooth painted drywall) which is about a 8' tall by 15' wide area. It can be projected or I can make a pounce pattern to get the logo onto the wall. How do you figure the charge for a job like this? I called Jane Diaz today and she gave me some good advice. I want to hear from some of the other sign painters to hear how they figure it and make sure I do this right!
It's always good to ask several opinions when you are not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Steve,
I subscribe to Si's pricing methods - which is the highest number possible that you an say with a straight face. And, if the client doesn't flinch at the high number, always add "plus materials" [Smile]

Seriously though, I would need to know a lot more detail, before I would even attempt to quote the project - how big will the logo be and how detailed is it, the condition of the wall and the paint used, the color chosen, etc. However, I would estimate at least $75 an hour for my time on site plus materials and travel.

Havin' Fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8' X 15'........times minimum $10 sq ft.
8 X 15= 120 sq ft X $10 sf = $1200.00 i use the $10 figure for simplicity. once you got the square feet, just add a zero to it and ya got the $$$$ figure.
NOW......using simple math from that $10 sf figure, say you want to charge $15 sf. easy....half of $1200 is $600, so now you take the $600 + $1200 = $1800.00
if you really want to give them a deal, depends on what your connection is to the school.....$7.50 sf. easy to figure. 1/2 of $1200.00 is $600. 1/2 of $600 is $300, so take the $1200 figure subtract $300.........you get $900.00........but i try not to do any painting jobs like these for less the $10 sf.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve,

Although I, really, like Si's method of "estimating" the highest figure possible I can say ( plus materials, of course ), with a straight face and without cracking a smile, here are some questions that I, usually, tried to answer, myself, before I gave a final price on a similar project......back in the good ol' days.

It would help you to answer these questions, first. Then, estimate the number of shop hours that it will take you to complete the job ( including trips and time spent in sales meetings ) plus the cost of all material, rental of equipment used in the project ( if needed ):

1 - What, exactly, are you going to paint?....How intricate is the art work? How long do you estimate it will take you to complete the painting on the wall?

2 - How much time have you invested in selling this project?----Road trips?-----Meetings with the decision makers and others?, etc., etc.

3 - How many miles would you have to drive to get to the job site and back to your shop?

4 - How large will this logo be? ( on the 8ft. x 15ft. wall )? How much paint and other material are you going to need to paint the logo on the wall?

5 - How high, from the ground level, will you be painting this logo on the wall?

6 - Do you need a ladder, scaffolding or hydraulic lift to execute your work?

7 - Are you going to make patterns for the logo that you intend to paint on the wall or are you going to project it directly on the wall? If you are going to make patterns, how many shop hours did you invest in making the patterns?

8 - Are you going to need a helper for this project?

9 - How much money is your shop hour worth?

In my days, when I had answered all these questions, I was ready to come up with a fair price........Now, I just say a prayer and hope I get the job.

However, estimates are like opinions....Every sign shop has a different one.......or, maybe, you could do what I do.......Like I said: Say a prayer and hope you get the job.......It works, most of the time.

GOOD LUCK, STEVE !

P.S. ---- Church gym wall ??......Does this mean that you are donating this project to the church?
If so, please disregard all of the above
information.

[ November 14, 2013, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!