Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » State of the Town of Letterville

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: State of the Town of Letterville
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seem to be a number of questions and issues arising lately at our beloved little community.
Some that come to mind are:
Lack of posting in the portfolio area. (See current thread there.)
Multiple postings. For some reason in the last month or so, it's taking a long time to upload posts and people are hitting reply multiple times. The result is awkward and a bit frustrating for the poster and the thread followers. This is obviously a technical issue that can be sorted out by whomever maintains the site. I'm not sure if that is Barb, Steve or a third party.
The general opinion of people I've talked to, are concerned that Letterville is slowly fading away.
I am one of many that have enjoyed and supported this community over many, many years.
I follow other sign forums and they are continuing to evolve and adapt to the ever-changing cyber landscape. Some more than others. One in particular has a mobile app that works very nicely.
I am willing make a bigger effort to increase the content of the community, but I'd like to know there is a plan in place. What exactly is the vision here.
I have the utmost respect for Barb and Steve. I realize they've had some tremendous health and personal issues to deal with.
There are many of us out here that are wondering what the plan is and what we can do to help put it in motion.
I have talked to Barb directly and I know she realizes there is much to be done. I don't think she and Steve know exactly where to start or what to do.
If we want this place to continue, they need to know that they have support from us come what may.
In turn, we need to know what the plan is.
Since this is a public forum, I think it is important that we can participate openly. If I miss judge this, Barb and Steve, feel free to delete this thread. I don't want to cause problems between you and your advertisers.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very well articulated post Duncan! Thank you.

After reading it, I called Barb and indicated my support of Letterville and she and Steve, in whatever capacity I can.

I currently visit Letterville daily, but also visit a couple of similar forums that are geared to living in our "adopted" country. Those forums are also suffering a loss of "posts" and I believe it is related to the way social media sites like Facebook and Twitter have taken over in the last few years.

Let's hope that Letterville can soon reclaim it's place as one of THE best places to visit for sign related information and general chit chat!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I love about Letterville (among many other things!) is full size photos, without having to click on a small icon and having to endure the time lag to enlarge like another sign site.

Letterville was my first sign forum when I progressed into signmaking years ago; I searched, researched, read, reread, investigated, asked and always was provided an answer here on Letterville.

Recently I saw a post by a new member and couldn't believe that membership had grown into the 38,000 range - I am member 8042, wow, that is unbelievable growth for my beloved Letterville!!

Come on everyone - hop back on the bandwagon and bring Letterville back into glory!! I view Letterville every morning while having my coffee and I do agree that postings of the fellowship are dwindling. Very sad. [Frown]

I know one of the benefits with one forum in particular, is the breakdown of categories, but we all lived without that before and enjoyed the reading as it was presented - I would read absolutely every post, or at least start reading it until I was certain it may not pertain to me directly. One other forum seems to be more technical with more equipment and software specifically - Letterville is more general.

Perhaps we have said it all during the years and all of our equipment works without fail!

Also, I have noticed the loss of many master artisans. Many of whom I came to learn about and love, without actually knowing them. I have always felt bad hearing they have left our membership. I may not post but I still feel the pain.

In my early thirst for signmaking knowledge (not so much now, because of course, I know everything [Rolling On The Floor] ), I used to visit every website that appeared with your name under your posts. I still do, but have noticed the diminishing number of posts in the last two years especially.

Steve and Barb do a marvellous job with Letterville and I would personally like to say, 'Thank You' for allowing me to grow my business with the help of Letterville.

I told Barb that she has to Invoice everyone annually for their membership. Fifty dollars annually will not break the bank to the individuals who enjoy this resource. Maybe this would allow for a third party to write some script to add a few features to help increase membership so they can share their portfolio, share their happiness/sadness, problems, keep us in touch with technology, provide a pat on the back, etc. - you know, do what Lettervillians do best.

Just my 2¢.

I still say we need a 'like' button (or other word if we do not want to copy facebook).

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think maybe it a sign of the times. When I got into this game, Letterville was not around. I got into it because I like working with me old fingers. I had done Calligraphy for years before. No apprenticeship, worked with another fella for a year or so is all. So I learned from Letterheads. I was always a pretty decent Mechanic with the brush. Here in Oz there is TAFE, a trade school more or less. The student must work in the trade to stay in the course of study. The ones I have seen are just sleepy blokes who have no Real passion for the craft. Most find it a little confusing, all the processes it takes in this trade. My Job the last few years, a router table. No one else wanted to Learn it's use. So a 69 year old fat man had work thru no fault of my own.

I think most coming into the trade wouldn't think there would be much useful information in here for them. Most wouldn't take the time to look.

I had suggested to one of the apprentices to ask his fellow students if they would like to get together for a Mini Letterhead meet. He snickered. So there yah arh!

My 2 cents.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In its heyday, this thread would have had 50 replies and the flaming icon by now. I sure miss the camaraderie of those days.

(But, of course, by 50 replies in the topic would have slid into politics or religion, too. [Wink] )

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post Duncan. I too am concerned. I don't do Facebook much and still rely on Letterville for a current list of Future Meets, workshops, and what is happening with those who frequent here. (rather than jumping from site to site to see what's happening). I realize Steve and Barb have been through hell and back many times, but worry that Letterville (and all you wonderful sign people) will just disappear. I check in everyday, sometimes nothing new, sometimes a personal story about having to decide what to do next with the business, etc., sometimes a joke from Si, or a question, nice to know these folks are still around. You are all very important to me. I follow Old Paint's health, Raymond's shop stories, Rusty's wit, Alicia's posts, Dave Gundy's Mexican adventures and much more. Steve and Barb have done well. If they need help, they have my support. It would be devasting to have you all just fall off the end of the earth.

I do visit and enjoy other sign sites, but always come back to Letterville. I hope the plan is to update the site, and keep it alive. Keeping my fingers crossed.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not here nearly as much as I used to. Though given the post count, some could say I've been here too much. I used to visit here 3 and 4 times a day. Now it might be 3 or 4 times a month assuming I can get in at all.

Letterville certainly needs to be updated and cleaned up. Logging in has reached the point where sometimes I give up trying to and go elsewhere.

I think for a lot of us who have been here for a long time, things have changed and we've simply moved on. While I'm still doing signs, it isn't my main focus for me anymore. I simply don't have the passion for it I once did. These days,the more interesting signs I do have become the exception instead of the rule.

To me, Steve is something of the glue to this place. And as he has participated less and less, I've noticed regulars began dropping off as well. I have no idea what is currently going on with him and Barb. At least not like I used to. I have no idea how his health has been or if he is even in the sign business anymore.

For lack of a better term and as I see it, Letterville is suffering from what happens to most businesses that don't change and adapt as time goes by. The same can be said currently about a lot of boards I used to visit. None of them have the amount of traffic they used to have.

Just my 2¢ (and worth even less), I don't know if Letterville was much of an income earner for Steve and Barb. I suspect it has cost them more than they have take in. But if Letterville is to do more than just survive, it needs to change. Get a new skin. Become proactive to attract new members. Work to restore the brand (so to speak). But without Steve actively involved, I don't see it happening. I miss his wit and humor, the one thing that attracted me here in the first place.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post Duncan! We have met a lot of friends on this sight - including Barb and Steve - and would be lost without it. When we started in this business 14 years ago - Letterville is where we gained most of our knowledge.
I would be lost without it! I try to visit it daily, but sorry to say - I am not a great one for posting.
I do think a lot of it is to with the social media, but Letterville is more, it is a community....that a lot of us have become as close as family.
There still is a lot of good coming out of here - in the last year or two - Letterhead meets are starting to come alive again - and if you haven't been in a long time - well, consider doing it - it is an awesome time!
Thanks again Barb and Steve for all you have done!

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 575 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gang...Steve and I are both following this thread.

Duncan brought up a topic that we are aware
needs to be addressed.

We'll be posting more on this subject latter.

We may be down but we're not out.

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2375 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be at my desk a lot more than I am currently and often checked in and posted here too. These days I still check in daily and sometimes post too. But I also maintain four bogs, keep a staff of eleven busy and am designing projects that stretch out week into into 2015. Simply put, I keep very busy.

Letterville is where I met and keep in touch with many good friends. In the real world there aren't many folks who speak the language of signs or who carry that passion.

I'll always appreciate the hard work Steve and Barb put into this site to start it up, make it work and keep it going.

I'll try and post some of our projects more often. If we want to see it continue and flourish we need to do our part and not just wish it so.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve & Barb

Thank you.......It's been over ten years,now,that you have allowed me to visit this village. I hope that I can continue visiting for ever.

There is not any other place where we can have what we have here....So, what are we waiting for? Let's continue getting on each other's nerves, inspired by our love for this magnificent trade that has given us so much.

Remember the old saying: "If you build it they will come."

RD

[ November 04, 2013, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the wonderful things about Letterville used to be Steve or Barb's input on topics. Barb's were always sensible,

Steve's were sometimes (well not that often) sensible and more often funny as hell!!!

Many years back A bunch of us were willing to assist the site by being "members"..$50/year...For some reason Steve and Barb quit doing that billing. I wish they would start doing it again.

Letterville is, for Steve and Barb, a business. Start treating it that way again you two.

I'd pay $50 just to get rid of that Roland ad about the 2011 stuff in Japan!!! That ad is just a little bit old????

Bottom line to Steve and Barb...get outta yer funk and get back to work on Letterville...It'll clear your minds and make you re focus on something wonderful that you created to help and assist thousands of people all around the world!

Think about the "all around the world" part.

You guys might not know, but you have had a HUGE impact on signmakers all around the world.

Enough of my rambling thoughts..now it time for Steve and Barb to get off their butts and start being active again!!!!

Does anyone agree with me???

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen the future, and it is not the internet.

There will be some sad goodby's from the old fogies who still use the net, but the next form of communication will knock your socks off. It always does.

I'd bet the web will go dark in less than 10 years. See you all on the other side.
Cheers!

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Mike. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to see 50 years into the future?! The technology will no doubt be amazing.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect the issue here is the same as it is for live meets. Once the same topics have been repeated a few times, interest wans. Not everyone wants nor needs to learn about paint mixing, gold leaf or for that matter being a wall dog. I think the interest is still out there in keeping in touch, there is just not the urgency to learn. The Letterheads have matured to the level that seeking information and help has become secondary. Many of us check in periodically but have little to add to a topic and are merely seeing that our friends are still out there.

Letterville is certainly a valuable trade forum and deserves continued support. Support is the key issue and I am sure we all will.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike said: "I have seen the future, and it is not the internet."

So, tell us Mike, since you've seen the future, when do we get flying cars?

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike and Brian, I just bought a book "The wonderful future that never was". An interesting book, mostly visual with ads and illustrations from Popular Science.
Who knows?

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am one of the old fogies that checks in every morning since Steve introduced me to the forum many years ago. What ever needs to be done with our support, I am ready, willing and able to do my part. Letterville is much too important to let go of. I too have a feeling that the drop of dues is part of the problem. I'll never forget how when asking for the phone number of The Wizard Steve of Ohio, the answer came all the way from Sweeden. I was able to contact him and he came to Terry Colley's meet in 2000.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for what it's worth, my opinion of Letterville is that it's just fine. (Not referring to problems Steve and Barb may have keeping things up.)
Dave's post reminded me that I'm late sending in my dues. Will take care of that right away.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Letterville to me is much more than a sign forum - the people I've met through this site have become like family. I only hope the lull here is temporary - it's still my favorite place to stay in touch with my sign pals....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dan... on keeping up those four bogs. Don't you have to just add a little water during the dry season? [I Don t Know]

I think Kent nailed it. Participation in Letterville has waned about the same as live letterhead meets have. I hope Steve and Barb can revitalize Letterville. Other than a few Walldog meets, it's about all we have left for sharing.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
letterville - where time stands still

I pop in at least once a week to see my real friends

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Like*

Blame facebook if you wish, blame changing times, blame the economy & the bill spike,, time spent here is a function of spare time available, plus whatever else commands our attention.

The internet age showed up 'laziness' as a strong aspect - people want information & they want it now! Facebook has dropped email sending, the way emails dropped letter sending. 'Newer' people seem to want things to be all-too-easy for them - to be almost spooon-fed.

Sonny nailed it well, saying it is more than a 'community' but a family here instead. There are lots or relevant hints to the problem, but a solution to it could take some really creative thinking.
I administer a draught horse forum, that did really well for 6 years, but activity there has taken the most severe nosedive in the last year since someone started a Facebook group in a similar category.

We had topics categorised really well - information & answers were easy to find, there was a social area, and many techincal areas. It was good.
Now it's about dead.
Facebook has its faults too - I've been in other 'groups' there and somneone will ask a question which will be answered, some way or another, mostly be over-enthusiastic newbies; three weeks later spomeone else comnes in and asks the same question, and a month later, ditto, and on it goes. Even those who could help get sick of trying when people are too lazy to use the 'search' function to see if it's already been asked and answered.

Thus those who could best help are keeping away from many sites or groups where they could help, also because it's time we got our life back, too...

Is 'Brothers of the Brush' becoming obsolete as a phrase? 'Masters of the Mouse' might be taking over? [Wink]

Even the whole sign trade is morphing-as we all know. When we hosted the Letterheads-Oz meet in 2007, with 50 attendees, it was hard to motivate the bulk of local signwriters to attend - most scarcely knew what a brush was, let alone how to clean one properly...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

quote:
I administer a draught horse forum, that did really well for 6 years, but activity there has taken the most severe nosedive in the last year since someone started a Facebook group in a similar category.

We had topics categorised really well - information & answers were easy to find, there was a social area, and many techincal areas. It was good.
Now it's about dead.
Facebook has its faults too - I've been in other 'groups' there and somneone will ask a question which will be answered, some way or another, mostly be over-enthusiastic newbies; three weeks later spomeone else comnes in and asks the same question, and a month later, ditto, and on it goes. Even those who could help get sick of trying when people are too lazy to use the 'search' function to see if it's already been asked and answered.

BINGO Ian!!! It happens on many forums.

In this age of "instant gratification", people can't be bothered doing a simple search.

Tomorrow I will be driving into downtown Merida Mexico (population 1,000,000), to get Mexican licence plates for my vehicle...downtown Merida is a confusing myriad of one way streets...How will I deal with the situation....easy...I used Google street view and previewed exactly how to get when I need to be!!!! Yes it took a bit of research on my part, but I did it myself. I might be 69 years old but I am not helpless yet!!! [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Phillip Newell
Visitor
Member # 4618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Newell   Author's Homepage   Email Phillip Newell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, all I can say is good luck. Be prepared to spend the better part of the day waiting in line, unless they've streamlined things by now. [Smile]

Missing Mérida/Chicxulub/Progreso in Illinois.

--------------------
Phillip Newell
Newell Graphics
1346 Garnet St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-754-5113

Posts: 187 | From: Henderson, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I subscribe to a plastic modeling forum, aircraft. I have resisted Facebook and all the other Instant messaging, how much time can one spend on Them? Someone from the WWII Aircraft forum posted a Facebook conversation. It musta been kids, they were discussing F-16s in WWII! Now I ask you????

And you are right "Stewey", I lurk around in here to see what my old chums are up to. Sadly there aren't too many of them lurking with me any more.

Not in the trade any longer, I have few questions to ask, and mostly cannot answer most that are being asked.

I've been here in Oz for 13 years and haven't been able to afford to attend one. Even the one around the corner at Taren Point.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys. I don't post as often as I used to and only pop in occasionally. Facebook and twitter takes some of my browsing time. Might I be so bold as to suggest the site may need a facelift. I have always found it way too complicated to post images here for example. with Facebook and other social media sites its a piece of cake. A dedicated mobile app would also be useful I'm sure as like it or not, thats the way technology is moving. Just my two penneth worth

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m one of the Letterville slackers. I’ll try to be more involved in Letterville than I’ve been lately. I don’t Tweet and I don’t Facebook so I can’t attribute my lack of participation here to that. I love this place. I’ve learned numerous things I wouldn’t have known otherwise and have gained many friends here, some of whom I’ve met in person at meets, others at workshops, and still others I’ve gone to visit when traveling. I’ve stayed in some of your homes and didn’t steal the linen or tableware!

The last few years have been tough on me healthwise and financially and those issues are somewhat related, in addition to the nosedive in the economy which has also affected my family. Dealing with all that distraction has taken much of the time I’d spent here in the past.

I fell and shattered my right wrist this spring and then had follow up problems with arthritis, tendinitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and nerve damage in both hands and wrists, necessitating being in braces on both hands and wrists for two months along with an aggressive, time consuming regimen of physical therapy. I work with my hands and my hands don’t work very well any more.

Since the fall and fracture used up much of the deductible and out of pocket on my health insurance, I went ahead and scheduled long delayed but necessary surgery on my right foot. Two days before the surgery, something happened to my back at the PT office and I couldn’t walk or stand for two hours. I didn’t tell anyone how bad it really was–I was also experiencing vertigo and blurred vision. I knew if I told them that, they’d have sent me directly to the ER of the hospital next door and then my surgery would have been delayed. My insurance was going to roll over that week and I’d then be on a fresh deductible which wasn’t possible with our budget. They got me on a gurney and the therapist sent for a doctor who brought in some powerful meds and I had to get my wife and daughter to come downtown to pick me up. I needed to get plenty of work done before the surgery but all the medication I was on made it difficult. I ended up working forty eight hours straight before the operation, figuring I’d get plenty of sleep once the anesthesiologist showed up.

I got hit with quite a bit of work right at the time of the surgery and I was supposed to take it easy and stay in bed for several days afterwards but was on crutches for hours working the day after surgery to help my best customer through an emergency. That caused a setback on my recovery because I got compartment syndrome from the swelling. I also did some installations a few weeks later, climbing ladders with a surgical boot on. I did the install myself because a hired experienced installer had botched the other installations on that job.

For a few months, the pain in my hands, wrists, and foot was so bad I had to take far more pain medications than I wanted to. Up until three weeks ago, I had braces on three limbs and pretty much bludgeoned anything I tried to work on. I shed the braces in mid October and I’m better now than I have been in months and am anxious to bite off some more projects. The foot will still take a couple months to finish the healing and nerve regeneration but it bothers me far less now than it did before surgery. The only pain med I’m on now is one Meloxicam tablet in the morning for the arthritis.

Right after I got out of the braces, I went backpacking in Arkansas with my brother in law. I hadn’t walked over a mile in two months and we hiked 42 miles over very rugged terrain, up and down 1200' canyons and mountains in the Ozarks. My foot was swollen and sore the whole time but no worse than it was while sitting at my desk. Last weekend, I played flag football and soccer with the grandkids, although I found out kicking a soccer ball was not a good idea while I still have pins in bones in my foot.

I had a follow up with the surgeon last week and he was quite proud of my progress. He told me if the patient does well, the surgeon pats himself on the back but if the patient does poorly, the doc blames the patient. Right now, he’s taking credit.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are not alone Dave. I've been putting off answering the questions Duncan brought up for years. The bottom line is that I lost my way and hid my head in the sand while Letterville declined.

One thing I can promise is that Letterville will always be here. There is live coverage of Letterhead meets dating back to 1985. You guys have also contributed all sorts of step by steps, project panels.

Years from now, I still dream a new generation will discover the joy of the brush and paint.

It's hard to believe it's been 15
years "doing it by hand" went out of style. I know young people are rediscovering hand lettering. Pinstriping is hotter than ever, but only a few are experienced gilders left. Rick and John's passing left big shoes to fill.

I got to cut this short, but your support has finally made me pull my head out of dark place. Truth is, I never expected to still be alive. It's been 20 years and 6 more heart attacks since I was given that death sentence. It's time I climbed out of the rut. [Smile]

[ November 14, 2013, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: Steve Shortreed ]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve and Barb....so GOOD to be hearing from you guys on here. We are all pulling for you - and know the difficult times you have had. But know that your Letterville family is always here for you - and sending many positive thoughts your way!

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 575 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barb and Steve, just wanted to say that you're still in my prayers and wish only the best for you.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ran into a young guy yesterday who was drawing and taping his layout on glass doors and windows for hand lettering.

He seemed so grateful and happy to find someone who actually has done this for a living although not much hand lettering is done here anymore. I could see the basic mistakes he was making and pointed out this site is his best hope for help and encouragement to further his pursuits in this area.

We talked about the documentary "Sign Painters" which he has been trying to see. He chased me down the block to again confirm the web address of Letterville. Hope he comes here and continues on because I really don't know of a better place with a wealth of knowledge like this that could help him.

(Hope things improve for you Steve)

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let us know how we can all help!

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got away from the site for too long of a time because I found myself on the site too much. I was getting behind in my work and made the decision to stay away. I came back a few weeks ago because I had a question. I posted it and received help just as always. This is a great place to be a part of.

I haven't paid my dues in a long time. I'm sure Barb knows just how long. She would send me reminders and I would pay. I haven't received one in a long time, so I haven't paid. I truly just didn't think about it.

Bard send me an email about how to pay and I will.

Now I have to start another thread about another question I need help with.

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
1signdesigns@backroads.net
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dido what Donald said. As a family owned business we were spending way too much time on forums and the work wasn't getting done. As the leader of the clan I called a meeting to address the situation.

The boys found a way to limit time spent on forums and after our designated time was spent we were kicked off the forums. There was limited time allotted in the morning and afternoon -- per person. If you exceeded that, you were shut down.

However as time went on, some of our group found ways to circumvent any limitations. And then there's Facebook. Facebook has ruined things for me, because it demands way too much attention.

I am at an age where I feel like rebelling against it all ... and I don't text message or anything. I can't keep up with everyone's birthdays, anniversaries, sicknesses and special pleads for prayers and help. That doesn't mean I don't have feelings. It simply means I can't keep up with it all. I have been trying to make a positive difference when and where I can and still not spread myself too thin. I apologize to anyone who may be offended.

All that being said, when I do want to be included and share what I know or find out what others know or feel, I always come to this place, because I think it's the best. And for Pete's sake the text is big enough for me to see and I like the layout and most importantly I like the people who hang here.

Steve and Barb, you have done a good job and I hope you keep it going and keep the faith.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!