Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Crowd Sourcing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crowd Sourcing
Dawn Drake
Visitor
Member # 6533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Dawn Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started doing a few projects on a crowd sourcing site (projects with open galleries) because I may need to make a career change, and even though I've updated my technical knowledge, if I work for someone else I may be pegged as too old; I wanted the practice for logo design.

The results have been devastating. Today I got a one star, one step above "no thanks". This wouldn't bother me accept that this one I was sure was good. They commented that submissions from others were too corporate and I've had other customers in my life who came to me for those kinds of projects, a logo that looks good printed on a shirt etc.

I can rationalize about how hard it is to know what someone wants when you don't meet with them face to face, but the fact is, the top creatives that this website wants to show everyone, do have a volume of excellent work they have entered that you and everyone can check out.

Has anyone else started worrying about their place in design world and what Crowd Sourcing means?

--------------------
Dawn Drake
Signs That Scream
Grand Rapids MI

Posts: 44 | From: Kentwood Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crowd source - shooting a light bulb with a shotgun at 10 feet, 1 pellet at is enough - everything else is wasted energy and material. Good for the requester and the winning supplier, not so much for the rest of the world.

If the nice people making the requests knew what they wanted they could probably do a reasonable job of describing it to a competent artist and getting what they wanted. Crowd sourcing allows the clueless to create a competition in which they cannot loose and only one supplier out of the masses working on the request "might" win.

[ October 10, 2013, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Guy H. J. Hilliard ]

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crowdsourcing is the worst thing for graphic design..

The only people that make out in the deal is the person running the site and the customer have 100's to 1000's of choices for free.

You are competing with people where the prize money can be 1-6 months wages... worth the risk for them, not to the average American.

It's not actual design, it's throwing things on the wall to see if it sticks, it's not solution based, it's visually based. And if the person looking for the design has no taste, then it's a waste of time for anyone with talent.

You want to practice logo design... study the design process (http://www.davidairey.com/process/), get books on the subject, there are hundreds on the subject.

Another thing, get someone to look at your work and get an honest assessment and see if they can guide you to a better way of designing.

As far as where I'm at, I've been told I am over qualified.

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawn,

If the purpose of using the crowd sourcing was to get in some logo design practice and some feed back, you got what you asked for and didn't like the result. At least, that is how I'm reading your post.

It is hard to take criticism, especially of something you are proud of. Crowd sourcing sites are going to be particularly tough. They are either brutally honest at best or cruelly dishonest at worst. The question is "were they right?" This is where you have to do the hard part and set aside ego and analyze the comments and the logo itself.

I do quite a bit of graphic and logo design. I freely admit I'm mediocre at best. I don't consider myself as a designer or artist. That is for others to decide.

Just do your best and strive to be better today than you were yesterday. It is all any of us can do. And, it's why I don't worry about my place in the design world.

Don't let them get you down.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend buying the two books by Dan Antonelli on logo design. You can get them through here... http://store.signcraft.com//?r=letterville

Dan is also going to be releasing a new book very soon on branding. While it is written for the general public, particularly small business owners, I think a lot of graphic designers could learn a lot from it as well.

Just wishing you the best. Chin up.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much a waste of time- unless someone contacts you directly to do a project for them- I have done several of them in the past, but I sure didn't put hopes into them. If you look at places like Dribbble.com and pintrest, you may notice a trend for designers just creating projects that give them practice, but not wasting time like crowd-sourcing projects. I would recommend going that route if you just are looking for practice.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At first glance, it seemed like a great concept... until one participates in it and you realize that you are most likely working for free.

I did a couple when the one site came out. I was mightily disillusioned when I saw the "winning" entry. While I got good scores on my work, I soon realized that my effort was better placed somewhere else.

I did end up with some really nice portfolio pieces, though. Hurray for me.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first & last competition that I participated in that had an element of "crowd sourcing" happened on the very day that I was conceived. You see, there was this single egg, and the deal was myself, and a whole host of other swimmers had a remarkable competition to see who could get to and fertilize that particular egg. Second place was totally irrelevant, and only one winner would be rewarded.

I stand today, as living testament to the fact that I won that competition, and any obstetrician/gynecologist will back me up.

Whenever I'm asked if I'm a strong swimmer, I have only to consider the manner of my personal conception to realize just how strong a swimmer that I was. Olympic athletes had nothing on me on that day!!! Here I was, up against thousands, and against all odds, I WON!!!

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken..I love you and your sense of humour!!! BRAVO!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!