Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Deceased Paint

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Deceased Paint
Kevin Mann
Visitor
Member # 7161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Mann   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was getting all my stuff ready to paint a fluorescent Window Splash. A couple of months earlier I had transferred all of my gallon containers of oil based Day Glo paint to quart cans. Unfortunately, I didn't know at the time, severe and irreparable rigor mortis would set in. Call it the pucker factor as all of the containers had that emaciated look, while the lids were metal the body of the containers were plastic; I have used plastic bottle before with lettering enamels so I didn't foresee any problems. Lost the better part of 2 gallons. But as they say, it could have been worse. Fortunately I had enough paint on hand to finish two jobs that day.

--------------------
Kevin Mann
SignMann
Sacramento, Ca

Posts: 80 | From: sacramento california | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The flourescent has a notorious short life so it could be that when you transferred from one container 2 the other enough air got in to get the the paint started drying in the container. I'm just speculating .....

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Down Under, the oil-based fluro paints are as good as useless, while the waterbased fluros are wonderful.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the price... man it's getting up there. Prices at a local outlet have been rising steadily over the last 5 years or so; One Shot fluorescent is now $45 a quart. There are import outfits that sell fluorescent paint cheap, but you have to buy 200 gallons or some huge amount. Would like to find some pigments, and make my own.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I order Day Glo brand from Hamilton Marine in Maine. I ask that they date and shake it prior to delivery. Great people and they keep me fresh.

I only order gallons and pour out a quart or so into an old gallon can. I do not like using the trays, unless I am using a nine inch roller. I generally only use the Chartreuse yellow and the red. When I need an orange, I mix the two. When I need a green, I add a little poster ultra blue to the yellow. I try to only pour into the old gallon can how much I will need for each job. Once the sediment builds up enough, I generally have a new can to switch to. I keep the new cans tightly sealed and if there is a second spare gallon, I store it upside down and mix with a slightly bent rod in the drill press at a lower speed for ten minutes when it gets chunky at the bottom.

I used One Shot oil fluoro for years in quarts, but it was way too expensive that way and once I switched to Day Glow, I noticed a better quality paint...lasts longer in not only the can, but fades slower. I swear by Day Glo.

I go through maybe 14 fluoro gallons a year. I order either two red and two chartreuse gallons at a time and sometimes just one of each. They ship two to a box, so either way it runs the same. Hamilton does have sales from time to time and you can save the shipping or maybe ten percent, if you get lucky. They seem to email me the new sales offer shortly after I order at full price, naturally, lol. Their website is easy to use and their service is fast and dead reliable.

The stuff is expensive. Including freight, I generally pay about a hundred bucks for a gallon. Considering when I started, it was $40, I gotta admit that it has affected my prices I charge. Overall, my prices have risen two to two and a half times since I began, 25 years ago. My overall materials costs are actually now less than what they were back when I began (from 22% down to 19% of sales. Sure gasoline has risen, but the mileage write off has gone up the same.

The key today is simply finding enough clients who still want a fluoro window splash, compared to perforated vinyl digital printing. Fluoro is so much brighter, but these youngsters today want that clean look it seems and not actually attract as much attention. It makes no sense, other than they all are like sheep and just want what the other have.

Considering how few of us Splashers are left and the average age is now approaching 60, it is soon to be a dead art form. Is there still money in it? Duh. If you are young and hungry, Window Splashing can be very lucrative. It take guts and it helps to look at many other's work to really get it going.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gallons of day-glo branded screen ink that is still good after 20 years. We had a repetitive print job that finally petered out. I'm moving very soon so I've been checking out what's coming with me and what's not and I'd love to give this stuff away to anyone who can use it.
It's alkyd based. I imagine that it could be thinned to a brushable consistency. Anyone vacationing in Traverse City MI?

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Mann
Visitor
Member # 7161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Mann   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it was not the quality of the paint with me, it was the funky plastic they used for the quart cans. Next time I will pick up the all metal cans for sure. I also like using water based but the oil holds up better to UV rays esp. here in Cali. Does anyone know of another (better?) acrylic fluorescent. I've been using SCR again through Day Glo. Amen to the lost art of splashing. I encouraged my son to work on it, even for part time work, but to no avail.

--------------------
Kevin Mann
SignMann
Sacramento, Ca

Posts: 80 | From: sacramento california | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DayGlo water based with a coat of clear acrylic holds up just as well as oil based.

AND just as hard to remove.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Si. Using the water based day glo, is it as opaque? How does it compare in price?

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presto ... fluoro paint is not opaque ... you need a white undercoat, both water band oil based types.

Water based is about $10 per gallon cheaper than oil based.

After 45 years of window splashing, I find That DayGlo brand was the best for me.

First I would do the letters using a flat high hiding latex wall paint.

Next the fluoro paint went on top of the white.

Outime with black or a ny dark color.

IF they want it water proof, I rolled on a clear gloss acrylic.

Here in So. California, latex pint dries quickly so that by the time you have all the white done, you can start laying on the colors, then it is time to do the outlines.

Your milage may vary!

[I Don t Know]

Added : Water based paint doesn't become "deceased" if you keep the lid on the plastic buckets!

[ October 03, 2013, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!