Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » (Small) wide format printer suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: (Small) wide format printer suggestions?
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya 'Heads,
I have a decent client who is interested in ordering a boatload of "posters" over the next year or so.

So, I'm looking for a small printer that can handle the task - and perhaps a little more.

Here are the details...
• They will only be indoor posters.

• The client wants the size to be about 24" x 30".
• They need to last "a while" in a climate controlled warehouse environment.
• Each poster will likely be unique and they could be ordering anywhere from 1 to about a dozen or more per week.
• They will likely just be mounted to a wall - in some places brick and others may be finished drywall. So, the material should be somewhat rigid.

As much as I would like to have one, I simply can not justify the cost of a "real" wide format printer right now. And, I would like to spend less than $1,000.

So, any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hard to find anything for under $1000.00!!! I DID, on ebay. some of my friends pointed it out to me that an ENCAD 736 INKJET, was for sale near me in atlanta for not much money. now i really stole it, was afraid when i called the company to register it.
i paid $152.00 and a trip to atlanta to get it.
it is an INKJET, just like your desktop inkjet.
has 4 color carts, and had bulk storage of ink that is pumped into the carts. will print up to 35" wide on coated vinyl products. if your only going to do indoor prints mainly on paper, then AN INKJET is probably going to work. HP, EPSON, CANON all make a 30"-42" version of these. you can pick em up on ebay/craigs list.... but do a little research on each to see how available carts and ink are. these old ENCADS are about out of spec.......for todays market. MINE, sits sometimes for a month, i put paper/vinyl in it........send something to it and it PRINTS!!!!!
no messin with cleaning or having to keep it working so it dont plug up.
quick look at ebay i got this 42" encad...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/42-Encad-Novajet-Pro-600e-/261285752985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd5d83099 price is right)))
and this the same printer i have....think the guy is outa his mind...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENCAD-NovaJet-736-600-dpi-Printer-by-Kodac-Used-/171121553243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d7a3af5b
THEN this HP:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DesignJet-1050C-1000-Printer-Plotter-with-Stand-Holder-36-Wide-Format-/321205334287?pt=COMP_Printers&hash=item4ac954710f
or CANON
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-iPF755-imagePROGRAF-Wide-Format-Printer-/251297277582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a827c268e

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey OP - how's it hangin' big guy? Hope all is well.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
todd i got a ..........lot of things hangin)))) to which do you wish to address?
saggy boobs, the waddle under my chin, the skin hangin on my arms(from losing 20 pounds in a week with the stomach ulcer bout)
or those thing we really dont want to discuss that i have to be careful not to sit on????hahahahahahahahahahahaha

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A used HP Designjet would work. They have several widths available.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey OP....Glad you are back up and running and with your sense of humor!

My recent colonoscopy resulted in a few polyps being removed and all were benign (no chance of cancer) Thank god for that info.

I don't even need a training bra since my boobs are still small and perky!! LOL

No wattles under my chin...

No saggy arms either.

AND I have a few months on you.

Since I drink and smoke and you don't, how do I do so well?

Ahhh I know....I am a nicer guy!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry double post.

[ September 14, 2013, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

you do know, alcohol is a preservative?

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh gawd guys, I don't want to hear about saggy boobs!

Anyway, I didn't think I could get a good printer for $1,000 (sorry OP, I ran an Encad for years and there's no way in heck you could convince me to take another for free, nevertheless buy one).

Although I would consider a HP if the price was right, I'm also trying to stay away from HP for the computer related support issues I had with them a while back.

So, admittedly, my choices are limited.

However, I spoke with the client about this and they're willing to be flexible with me when it comes to quantities ordered and order frequency. So, I might be able to get a better deal from a wholesale digital printer with nothing out of pocket. And, I'm leaning towards outsourcing digital prints to a flatbed printer.

One wrench in the machine is Sal Cabrera from Signs by Sal just called, offering me a very good deal on an Epson 9600 which I'm seriously entertaining. However, it's a big machine and I have limited space. So, I may end up having to pass on the idea after all.

Thanks again,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

sorry you had the bad experience with ENCAD. like i said with mine for what i paid for it cant complain. the biggest improvment i did to it was to get the little card from china, that eliminates the code on the HP CARTS. and i ordered 4 of the clear ones from china that has no code on them....thing works....when i need it.
i would also like to have 30" NO BIGGER solvent printer. even an edge 2, but i just have an aversion to goober stuf.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved my Encad 736. I would buy another.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

In all fairness, the printers were pretty good - I ran a 700. But, the ink cartridges were a totally different story.
At the shop where I used it, I would burn out at least 1 cartridge a week. Fortunately, it was under warranty - most of the time. But, the hassles of getting a replacement - test prints and paperwork - almost made it not worth the effort.
As for the project itself, the client will likely be happy with the flatbed prints because they will likely end up being even cheaper than what I would able to produce in house.

Cheers,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!