Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Signfoam or Percision Board?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Signfoam or Percision Board?
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to order 8-4x8-18# HDU boards for upcoming job...I've been using Percision Board but for no particular reason...I figured all HDU was about the same...if it was being sold as 18# then the 18# density and hardness was consistent throughout the market...however recently I remember an unfavorable comment pertaining to the density Percision Board when compared to other HDU products...I was unable to find that post on my search...I can get either Signfoam or Percission Board delievered to my door at about the same price...anybody have a preference.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use Precision Board in our shop with great results. We use only 30 and 40 lb board however which is heavier than what most folks use. We find it is easy to finish and is much more durable.The Precision Board of today is quite different that what people had in the past. It is currently the greenest HDU product in the market currently.

I'm sure the answers you get will be as varied as if you asked what is the best paint or computer. People tend to favor what they have experience with.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Humphreville
Visitor
Member # 4762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Humphreville   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Humphreville       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If those are the only choices, Sign foam. If Duna Board is available near you I would go with that. I like the way it works better than the other two and it's cheaper. 20lb duna is a little more expensive than 15lb Sign foam. Never cared for precision board, keep being told it's different and try it again every few years but it seems the same. I don't think any of them are bad just personal preference.

--------------------
Eric
PA

Posts: 149 | From: Intercourse, PA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer Precision Board both for the quality of the product and the integrity of the company which means a lot to me. Their ancillary products are also top notch and they are focused on our industry.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used both, and prefer Signfoam.

Seems less coarse/dusty. Signfoam feels "tighter" when comparing the same density between brands.

Just my humble opinion.

Best regards,
Bob K.

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go with the Duna. Great product and I think it creates less dust.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried 30 lb PB & don't dislike it, except for the weight. A 1" sheet weighs 80 lbs.
20lb Duna comes very close in ability to hold detail & it weighs in at about 54lbs.
Duna doesn't make an 18lb sheet, although they do make a 31b density.
What you have access to should determine your choice, as all will get the job done.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although Duna comes from Texas, it's unavailable here in the fourth largest metro area of the USA. I'd love to try it.

I just finished an intricate sign with all kinds of texture and carving on it and used both PB and SignFoam, depending on what I could get of each material. All I can get around here is 15 lb.

I like the formulations of the last couple years better than the earlier versions of HDU. The newer products have a much smoother texture and less voids.

I don't use enough HDU to really build up a preference of one brand over the other, although I've always liked the helpfulness and responsiveness of the PB staff. They also have many useful auxiliary products.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David - Reece Supply is now stocking DUNA Corofoam. They deliver to me from Dallas. They only have 15# which is more like 20# of other brands.

We use Precision Board in the heavier densities like Dan Sawatzky - 30#...which is smooth and produces less dust. Great for cut out letters and high detail carving.

The more positive side of Coastal Enterprises is the wide range of associated products they produce, plus the great staff and customer support they provide.

OK, Kellie, do I get any free stuff for that?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond,

Thank you.

I'll give Reece a call next time I need some. I'm anxious to try it.

I have to agree on the products, staff, and customer support Coastal Enterprises supplies.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!