Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Mimaki discontinuing 30" printer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mimaki discontinuing 30" printer
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not happy. My yellow head went out and will be $3100 to fix. Parts being discontinued at end of year. I really don't want to outsource the printing, but not sure if investing $20,000 in a new system is something I can spend. Don't know what to do...anyone running a Roland? Seems like I would loose productivity waiting for it to print a job and then be able to cut something else. Thanks!

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can continue to print on the Roland and cut on another cutter. At Franklin, we did this. Print on Roland and cut on Graphtec.

If I was to invest in a new printer, I would look at bigger than a 30"...

Check out auctions for repo'd equipment. My last boss got a ripping deal on a Mimaki and Summa combo.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping to sell the cutter to help subsidize the new purchase. And all my other shop equipment is set up for a 30" roll...laminator, tables etc. I don't print that often and a 54" would be overkill for me...I would spend more $$$ maintaining it vs actually using it!

I have seen some Roland stuff and it seems to print nicely, but don't know anything about the inks.

I had thought about keeping the Mimaki cutter if I had to cut while something was printing.

Not sure about outsourcing either...how accurate will the color matching be? And what if I make a mistake???? Can't order extra of everything or wait 3 days to get a new piece....

Just really bummed. Finally was going to get a paycheck and now won't see one for a few more years.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TJ Duvall
Visitor
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TJ Duvall   Author's Homepage   Email TJ Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check around with some of your local IT professionals. They may be able to help direct you to some one that can fix the printer for a fraction of that cost. (Assuming that $3100 was from Mimaki). You never know you may get lucky and find someone.

--------------------
TJ Duvall
Diamond State Graphics, Inc.

New Castle, DE 19720

Posts: 396 | From: New Castle,Delaware | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

TJ the price is from the distributor that the machine originally came from.

JV3 Print head assy $1,611.00
2 S-Damper Assy, Large $204.06
2 S-Pump Assy $271.78
1 Cap Slider Assy 4H, JV3-160,250 $188.57
3 DIGSERVICE Technician Time, On-Site,$450.00
4 Technician Travel Time, Ground Transport $380.00

TOTAL $3,105.41

The heads are $950 from suppliers and we can put them in, but I was told it is the adjustments that take time and the adj, must be done by a tech. The dist. won't adjust the head if installed by others...

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500

Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Anyone run on a technology loan? Sounds better to me. Make the same payment as you would with a purchased machine and after 3 years they give you a new one...keeping a payment in perpetuality, but always have no maintenance fees and new equipment...

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500

Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of print sales justify this much expense?

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Mike, not much. I got my Mimaki system used at 8 months old (still under warranty and service contract). Cutter, plotter and RIP software for $10,000 almost 8 years ago. I maintained it and it has never had any major repairs needed until now, which I guess, is a "wear and tear" item.
I don't like relying on others to do my printing and the lead time is longer than I would care.
Just not sure which way to go anymore. I am taking on a teaching position at the local tech college and if it develops the way I would like, it could become a full-time gig and my sign stuff would become a "pick & choose" hobby business, and not needing such a quick turnaround.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nikki - my buddy has had nothing but quirky and mechanical problems with his Roland SolJet Pro...maybe they've improved them since he bought his... but they are so expensive to repair, one wonders if they are worth the investment?

You don't have someone who you can wholesale through?

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Nothing quick enough, Todd. Everyone local is 1 week out. And I don't have that kind of time usually.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!