Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 1945 Kenworth,,,What a rush

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1945 Kenworth,,,What a rush
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next to my house is a school. Every Aug, they have a car show. Well since I have this cute little 1945 Kenworth in my shop with faux aged lettering, I thought I'd drive it there and enter it in the show. This baby has two stick shifts. I had done a job the night before at Kenworth Northwest, so I asked the guy how to drive a truck with two stick shifts. He explained it to me and this morring I took it out on the streets! I was really nervous, but I made it in the show, didn't hit any other car and parked it. I was shaking right after I hit the air brakes. So along with the usual Ford's, Chevy's and Dodge's, they be having a lovely 45' Kenworth to check out. PS The owner of the truck is working today, he doesn't know I entered his truck in the show.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, I need pics! Quit holding back on us..... LOL You know I have a soft spot for old Kenworths.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Alicia, Photos
please!

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, ( & anyone else interested) until Eaton came out with the Roadranger transmission ( I think in the early 60's) almost all trucks had 2-stick transmissions. Spicer came out with one around the same time I believe.
There were lots of them around yet when I was learning to drive ........ I learned on a 1969 Dodge with a 10 speed Roadranger & a 1971 Mack with a 6 speed " 2-stick".
Gas powered highway trucks had either a 2-stick or a 2 speed rear end. Diesel power, until 1965 anyway, almost always had a progressive 2-stick.... a 4 X 4 meant you had 16 forward gears. You would have 4 on your main transmission & 4 on your auxiliary. Mack's most common configuration was a 5 X 3 on their B-model, of which 1966 was the last year.
With the Mack 6-speed, reverse was on the auxiliary, and you could shift gears when backing up.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh Rodger, I'll I know was "Put the big one way back and use the little one like regular" I didn't have to drive it more than a half mile.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Oh as far as pictures,I lost (Accidently deleted) them, but I'm working on a youtube video.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lEYaTvvq4g

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Mike, I wouldn't care to meet that guy ...... it's a good thing to keep at least one hand on the wheel. And, unless he's pulling a half million pounds, there no reason to have three transmissions.

You have to be careful not to get both transmissions in neutral at the same time. Sometimes, it's impossible to get them back into gear without prying on the linkage, especially on the old cabovers.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shorter sticks and the driver just reaches through the steering wheel to navigate the gears and has control of the wheel as well, I have riden with several old school drivers and have watched the complete operation, much safer than the video driver.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drove some early 50's Petes & KW's with over & under setups. Lot of double clutching, fast...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!