Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Anti-virus....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anti-virus....
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a decent free antivirus available anymore?

Not being cheap.... I currently have Norton on three machines which have been updated for years and recently acquired a fourth machine and was wondering what kind of options there are and what kind of experiences other 'heads have had.

--------------------
Happy Signing...... Marty

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada S4N 5K4
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Avast, free edition, and I really like it.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shirley houston
Resident

Member # 4021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shirley houston   Email shirley houston       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Vipre. You can purchase from HSN and usually with a Lifetime License for up to 5 computers. I have had it since 2012 and am very satisfied with it.

--------------------
shirley houston
shirley's etc
384 hillcrest st.
marianna, arkansas 72360
870-298-2624 shop
870-295-5409 home

Posts: 127 | From: marianna, arkansas 72360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried numerous ones and like Avast. Earlier this year, I hired a pro to come in and really virus protect and clear my machine of any weird stuff and that helped. He installed Avast and other spyware tools. I do find it helps to simply turn off completely, the machine every several days. Not just a restart, but let it be off for several minutes. I know it sounds like smoke and mirrors, but the guy knows his stuff and I have taken his advice.

EST is junk. Had problems with the Norton, Panda and some others. Avast seems to be good.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preston, by "turn off", which do you mean, simply Shut Down, or cut the main AC power?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean simply do a complete shut down of the computer for more than 30 seconds. No unplug from wall power.

Another thing the guy told me is to shut down the browser after going to any site not normally associated with my browsing....Huffington Post, NY times etc. They set in cookies that sometimes are hogs. Clear the cache once a week.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
under a full power cut off, this is the only time your RAM gets cleared of all the crap you have done since the last time you had a complete POWER OFF/SHUT DOWN.
there is this littel program with in window called task manager. most never seen it. when the computer is running hold down the CTRL, ALT & DEL key. this window opens and you can choose to open TASK MANAGER. it will open to PERFOMANCE, YOU can see how your processor/processors are being used....the icon in the left corner, you can minimize the performace window, to your tool bar on the bottom near the time. it will show when your processor is working.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Kearfott
Visitor
Member # 3756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Kearfott   Email Dan Kearfott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also use Avast. Have been for several years and it seems to be doing a great job.

--------------------
Dan E. Kearfott
KEARFOTT GRAPHIX
312 W. 8th St.
Gibson City, IL 60936

Success comes in "Cans", Failure comes in "Cant's"

Posts: 121 | From: Gibson City, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Norton used to be the standard but now considered junk by many.

I use the free version of Avast and am happy with it.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Norton and Mcafee were the best up till 10 years ago. Then they became bloated and out of control. In fact Norton became well known for causing serious problems.

Then AVG acme around and the geeks loved it. But alas it went the way of bloatware trying to do too much. One day AVG went the way of Norton and Mcaffee and became disliked.

Now Avast Free is one of the three that is well liked by geeks for virus deflection. And comodo firewall is a good firewall protection. There is no need to pay for any antivirus or firewall any more with the really good products being given away.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avast, here...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
avast all the way. I have even moved to their subscription one. Norton, AVG, Macafee are all crap and bloted and cause more issues than good

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are all listening to hearsay or your information is very outdated. Norton has actually been rated as one of the top antivirus programs in recent years by many respected organizations.

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

EST claimed they had never had a virus sneak through, but they forgot to mention malware. It caused serious problems for me last year and basically cost me $500 to get the machine cleaned out.

Panda was full of glitches that caused a huge slow down of all operations.

Now maybe it is just me, but Avast seems to be working well.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently using Norton 360 on my entire network of shop computers. I've not had any issues since I started using it 3 years ago.

Before that, I used Avast for awhile, but started getting too many false positives and gave up on it.

My local guru swears by AVG.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't used Norton (or McAfee) for many years, so they may have improved. Before I bid them good riddance I had problems with every single solitary install on multiple computers. Norton was worse than any malware I encountered. It was like the borg and would end up taking over, causing legitimate things not to run, giving no warnings whatsoever. As a consequence, I never allow anything branded as Norton on any of my machines.

Avast has served me well so far.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though they always say "resistance is futile", sounds like you beat them Russ. Way to go..

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Spy Bot Search & Destroy
TDSSKiller.exe

those are 3 that I have used recently, all free.

The TDSSKiller might be specific for a particular virus svchost.*exe32 also listed as winrscmde in your Taskmaster Screen. It just bogs your computer down using all the available memory 'til your PC shuts off.

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AVG here. I used Norton for years until it got so bloated, switched to Avast til it got the same way. AVG has been fine for the three or four years I've been using it.

Also Malware's Anti Malware.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!