Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Rivets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rivets
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you guys stick cut vinyl letters over flat truck sides with rivets, do you puncture the vinyl and heat and burnish the rivets before or after removing the app tape? What are your favorite tools for this process?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always did it after removing the transfer tape. I'd poke a couple of holes where the air is trapped heat it and beat it in with a 3M rivet brush.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Similar to Brent, I'd work the vinyl down as much as possible before removing the transfer mask. With the masking still on, I'd prick 3 or 4 holes around the rivit. Keep working the vinyl down further. Then remove the masking. But then I'd use an old, cheap, soft plastic squeegie that was cut in half to "swivel" over the vinyl and around the rivit.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just finished this trailer - rivets are every 2" vertically. The Rivet Sealer 3000 works great! We used Air Release media and pierced through the premask. [Wink]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fXt9W5A0d8

There is a piercing tool that has 4 fine needles, and a Teflon insert that fits on the heat gun to create heat and pressure giving new memory to the vinyl over rivets. Takes seconds, just like the video. The tool is presenty on sale for $169.00 Canadian (available at Express Sign Products).

-

-

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori, that is a very impressive way to do it. I'd need lots more rivets to justify that expense and sure don't want to start seeking them out. So does this tool require an air source and electricity also? That would limit it to being an in-shop tool?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, no air source, just electricity for the heat gun. I would pay twice as much for this tool just because it takes so much less time and effort over a rivet brush. Yes, we don't seek out rivets either but they always manage to find us! [Smile]

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use felt squeegee to apply the graphics, and while the mask on, work all of the air towards the rivet with out forcing the air.

Avoid over stretching the vinyl, the adhesive will separate from the vinyl. Next I puncture 1-2 small holes at the bottom of the rivet at the 6 o'clock position and follow up with the felt again. If the air releases great, if not try just a little more with a plastic squeegee, just to get it closer.

Now remove transfer mask, and if needed gently apply heat to get any final bubbles or as a final heat-set.

Again,,,,avoid over heating vinyl so the adhesives don't separate

Good Luck

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori, that is incredible!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Donna - I've never seen such a clean application. We all hate rivets, but they're a common enemy and it appears Lori has the ultimate weapon. I gotta get one of those....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Well Thanks guys! Yup, we hate rivets too, but with the right vinyl and the right tool, it's pretty easy. The decal was 14 feet wide and took approx. 10 man hours to install. I don't know if that's fast or slow - one of my girls stops working when she talks (which is a lot!) [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another tool that works well for around $50. The RollePro is quite versatile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z4YSMH06l4

and here when your rivets aren't necessarily in a row or you're not doing complete wraps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai7C_o0nGgM

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double Post

Wow do I love my new U-Verse internet service from AT&T. It's so fast and reliable.

**********NOT!!!!!!!!!**********

[ July 22, 2013, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

I also have the RollePro, doesn't hold a candle to the Rivet Sealer 3000. The RollePro video looks impressive, but in real life isn't nearly as quick or easy. We found it to wrinkle vertically in between the rivets. Just my opinion!

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Lori, I found the same thing and attributed it to not enough practice.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201

Aaron Haynes
Visitor
Member # 490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaron Haynes   Email Aaron Haynes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like to give it a right cross!!..get er done

--------------------
Aaron Haynes
Aaron's Signs & Windows
Napa Ca
aa4signs@sbcglobal.net
------------
Important Rule For Life: "Look out for number one... Don't step in number two"
------------
If your never the lead dog on the sled...the scenery never changes.

Posts: 241 | From: Napa Ca. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!