Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Help on Price and Design

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help on Price and Design
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been asked to make a sign for the new offices of a big building concern that I make apartment signs for...below you will see their logo in black and white...the main man loves the idea of using the logo as a blueprint to construct a realistic house in a finished and unfinished phase...I have 2 questions.

Design...the entire sign not counting the rock base measures 5'x 8'...it will be a miniture house...one side finished off and the other side unfinished with open framing...just like a real house might look...I'm thinking about making the house wide enough so as to incorporate windows on either side of the porch...I think if the proportions...length to width...are that of a real house it would be most effective...what you think.

Price...the company will build the rock base...I'm not sure what I will make the little house out yet but I'm open to suggestions...it is double sided and all 4 signs will be sandblasted HDU with woodgrain backgrounds...you can use the bottom sign in the picture as your yard stick...it is 8'long.

This guy loves the idea and has asked for a price...I have no idea...whatya think...also I'm really open to ideas on how you would build the little house and type of materials would be best.

-

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any connection???
http://www.irby.com/

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seams to me that the FRAME should be waterjet cut out of metal. Then attach every other layer on to the metal frame.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John has a good idea, But I would let a welder make it from Square tube aluminum and then have it powder coated, then attach all of the rest.

I'd guess $8-10K

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much input from me other than I love the idea and your rendering so far. Should make for a great looking sign.

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would ask the customer if they have a budget amount for the sign. You could do something very simple like a contour cut out shape with a digital print or you can go full 3D. That's quite a price range between the two methods. BTW, I am thinking you showed the other side of the sign will have the image flipped on the house if the sign is contour cut. Looks like a great sign. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked input from Dan Sawatsky and he suggested I bump my price from $150 sq.ft. up to $200. I can do $200 per square with hand carved detail and some gold leaf but around $100-$150 per sqft is what the market will bear here. I think I would figure in your price at $200 or more. That does bring the price to be $8000 and up.

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be 5' x 8 ' ....got that Rusty, but what are you thinking as far as depth?
I would agree with having a welder make up the framing with square tubing and suggest composite decking material for the siding. The roof line could be wood; the welded tubes can handle a 'faux wood' paint job; the windows...hdu or wood backed up with acrylic/plexi.
Just for 'funsies' slip a couple solar lights in behind so the lights come on at night.
Boy it's hot out here today!
Looks like a fun job. I have no idea what to charge; I'd look at material cost and try to estimate time, then go from there...but you'll probably be in the $8-10 thou. mark (welders aren't cheap)
Ummm Rusty...You know if you do this job, you'll absolutely have to share the photos with all of us!!!!

[ July 10, 2013, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Shirley Carron ]

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shirley...What a great idea...the solar panels in the windows would really be a neat addition...thanks

I thought the depth should be roughly half the length...I'm thinking I would like it to look more like an actual house with signs on the house as opposed to a sign in the shape of a house...probably wide enough so as to incorporate 2 windows on either side of the front porch which in the pic above is the far left side of the sign.

Looks like most of you guys see the frame being made from aluminum tubing...in my sign making I have little experience with metals so let me ask a stupid question...Do I attach all my other building materials to the frame with sheet metal screws?

Jean...thanks for the idea about the digital print...although less of an impact and less of a challenge...it sadly might be the way that this job goes.

[ July 10, 2013, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great design, as usual, Rusty!

If it's going to be two sided, there might be a problem with the porches being different sizes. Are the two roof pitches the same?

I'd love to see this made of western red cedar with solid acrylic stains used......just like a real house. (That's the "wood Guy" in me talkin)

Please keep us in the loop,

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe makes a good point about the porch size...

Rusty, what about approaching this as if you were dooing the two halves seperately and then locking them together with the roof?

A welder would then construst the skeleton side of the sign, you could fabricate the finished side, pretty much any way and out of anything you are comfortable working with, then the two sections would come together with the roof added on.

Just a thought. If you were looking into the structure from the skelton side, would you see into the finished side? Or would you see just a blank surface?

Having the blank surface would enclose that half of the house and give you a hidding spot for any wires, lights etc you might add and contain the light within. (less likely vandals would mess with it, if it weren't too easily accessible).

The only thing you'd have to attach to the welded frame would be the IRBY sign panel. And yes, I would use metal screws painted to blend in.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Joe...glad to hear a "wood man" speak up...I know I would feel more comfortable working in wood...and what you said "just like a real house."

It's two sided...here is how it would look approaching it from both directions...the only difference would be how the "IRBY" sign would read.

-

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Shirley...interesting idea...you're giving me options I had not considered...great to have more minds working on a project than just one.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!