Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Does this need to be bakced up for strength

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does this need to be bakced up for strength
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never done a wall mounted HDU sign. It will measure 2ft h x 20 ft long. It will consist of 2 10 ft panels.
When we make the HDU signs , that are hung between posts, we back up single sided with MDO, or double sided we sandwiich 3/4" MDO in the center..

My question is, since it will be 1.5" 18lb, mounted up on a masonary wall, should it be backed with MDO or Diabond (to ligthen the weight).

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane...Diabond for sure...MDO is so heavy and will not hold up over time as well...and why aren't you using diabond as the center of your double sided HDU signs as well...much lighter, as strong as you will need, and will not decay...you can chose either the solid core or corrugated...either would be lighter and better than the MDO...checkout my last post of about a week or so ago...I included some pictures...these show an example of the corrugated version I am presently building...but I would be fine with the solid core as well...it's just that the corrugated version is so very rigid yet so super light...you might want to read what I said on that post...it could help explain more.

I would be interested for others to weigh in on this question...does a 1.5" single sided 18 lb HDU sign mounted on a wall need the extra backing...I have put unbacked HDU signs on brick at least 3 times I can remember...and probably several more that I just cant recall...the results has been fine so far.

Without knowing your particular case...there could be an advantage to backing the 2 pieces together as one...but you could consider bolting a simple 2x4 frame to the wall...you would then bolt through the HDU into the wood...I don't see backing it as completely necessary but naturally it would strengthen the sign.

Now I've spent way too much time on the computer...it's back to the tv to get caught up on Zimmerman case.

[ July 03, 2013, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not back it up at all. Just attach with enough screws to hold.
Works great so far for me.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as the sign sit flat on the wall you will be fine , no need to back up.

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with the others, too, Diane. Really no need to back this sign up. It's rigid enough on its own.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would mount 1.5x1.5 aluminum sq.Tube on the wall and make recessess on the back of the HDU panels to match the bar. screws in from the sides.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume the sign is all one piece. The sign is going to be a bit wobbly and hard to handle. What I've done is to cut two or three slots in the back of the sign along its length and epoxied aluminum angle into it. It gives it enough rigidity to make handling easier. And when possible, in mounting to the wall I use TapComs run through the face of the sign, through the aluminum angle and into the wall.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is unsupported, it is important that water not be able to find its way behind the sign and freeze.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer Glenn's Ideas..

Russ is also on a good track

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!