Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » About time to think about a new computer...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: About time to think about a new computer...
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any insights as to what a good configuration for a new computer these days ... sure would be helpful to get me started on my search. My computer is close to 7 years old, ... my monitor just went out the other day. Has me feeling nervous.

I will most likely take the Dell route again, as they have served me well.

What's working well for you folks out there?

~ janette

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if you're looking for a desktop or laptop but pay the couple hundred extra to get a solid state drive. I had a desktop computer built online last summer (the savings for me doing it myself were minimal) and I used SSDs. I'll never go back to spinning platters. The computer boots and shuts down in seconds. Corel loads in a second or two.

I usually opt for a really nice video card or two but on this one, went with onboard graphics and it smokes my old Dell XPS with its dual cards. I can still add a dedicated graphics card if I want to.

This computer is much quieter than the XPS and doesn't need radiators to cool it. It also cost about half as much.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez David, once more in English please. [Smile]
Okay, where did you order this online wonder?
Here's a couple of things from a guy that knows little about the inner workings. You probably will have a choice of Win 7 or 8. Make sure what ever software you use will run on the new operating system. If not, figure software upgrades into the cost. Depending on what hardware you have (plotters, printers, scanners etc.)make sure you can get drivers for the new OS. Other things to consider, if you have an Edge II, get specific information on what kind of port you need to hook up to. I'm sure there are other things to consider. Apparently, Windows 8 is a whole new OS, so be prepared to start from scratch.
I'm thinking it's time to upgrade soon too. We have a good IT company that has done service for us. I'm going to seek their advice in setting up a complete new system. I'm good at making signs and solving sign problems, but when it comes to computers, not so much. [Smile]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do tech support for a shop or two nearby here and whenever I can I recommend dell,....just last year one of them chose my suggestion of a dell refurb for a secondary workstation,...he got an i5 intel processor with plenty of ram for under $300 from their online store,...the only blip encountered thus far is when the power went out due to a storm,...go figure,... the thing needs electricity to operate,...actually that was not a problem it booted right back up when the utility company restored power,..I would think you could get a deal on a 3rd generation i7 processor driven machine since the 4th generation chips just hit the market,...add about 8 to 16gb of ram,...and a solid state hard drive and you should have one really really fast pc,....personally I would have the machine load the operating system and programs on the solid state drive and keep the original drive(usually about 500gb) as a slave to store files,...the ram and solid state drive shouldn't bump the price much over 2 to 3 hundred extra but it should produce a machine that is screaming fast for quite some time to come,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm kinda like Duncan...Some computer stuff confuses me.

I just did a comparison of speed....

How long it took to open CorelDraw

On my 3 year old desktop (AMD Athlon II 2.70 GHz processor with 6 gig of RAM) 3 seconds to open Draw.

On my 10 month old laptop (Intel core I7 2.30 GHz processor with 16 gig RAM) 19 seconds to open Draw.

The desktop cost me around $350 and the laptop cost about $1100. Obviously the desktop is the best bet, but I can't shove it in a bag and carry it on a plane!!! [Big Grin]

Advice to Janette...buy the largest monitor you can afford. I got my 28" monitor from TigerDirect 2 years ago and it is a joy to look at!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st off as to monitors.........
ANY 1080P TELEVISION..... will serve you well as a monitor. how do i know this?
i have on this computer a 1080p 26" VIZIO, that i bought at WALLY WORLD FOR $278.00, i luv it!!!! crisp clear sharp graphics(these come from you graphics card in you computer)and that will dictate how well you see them. the wifes computer has a 24" Hisense brand, 1080p for $150.00. so if you want go pay more for one. but i have both a monitor and i can watch TV if i want to.
one option you have IF YOU DONT WANT TO GO THUR A FULL RELOAD of your computer, is to order a "bare bones" machine. this will be new processor, mother board, ram, power supply and all you do is take your existing hard drive, AND PUT IT IN THE NEW COMPUTER. so you will be running the same OS, PROGRAMS AND ALL........without having to reload the hard drive. i did this with my last computer up grade. i bought a 2.8 GIG QUAD CORE AMD, and a GIGABYTE M/B DDR 2 RAM, 2 GIG, NEW BOX...little over $350(3 years ago)and this M/B will accept the newest 8 core AMD if i want to upgrade.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave I don"t want to rain on anyones parade here but how fast a program opens is no way to gauge performance,...the best way would be to compare how long it takes a process that is chip intensive like a multiple contours and or tracing a bitmap,...any program can be optimized to open fast,...the new solid state drives are the best speed producing hardware factors I've seen and or read about in quite some time,...the resulting change in the way the pc works is phenomenal and very noticeable over the old standard drives,...the solid state read times are in nanoseconds compared to milliseconds on a normal drive,...this means your virtual memory(place on the hard drive windows uses for extended memory to augment the ram) is almost as fast as the actual ram making for a tremendous boost in speed in the actual operation of the pc,...that in itself should speed up processes like ripping large bitmap files for printing on a large printer tremendously,...imagine being able to utilize 50gb of hard drive space for virtual memory and that space is almost like adding actual ram due to drastically increased access speeds over the old fashioned spinning disks of a traditional hard drive,....

[ June 20, 2013, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everytime I go onto the Dell Site I get so dang confused. So I'll ask here ... what is the dif between XPS and Precision work stations? Seems to have some good pricing on the Precisions right now. But I don't really understand what they are. LOL

XPS is fine for my needs right?

Looking at the XPS 8700 right now w/ the solid state drive. But I also looked at one of the Precisions that are offering a 300 dollar savings.

I will need to get a computer somewhere down the line. I hate computer shopping!

I will take the advice I've gotten here and do the SSD this time, on whatever I choose.

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nettie, what do you want your computer to do for you? What programs do you plan on using?

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corel, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Versaworks, Quickbooks, I want to move around quickly, and not bog down when the graphics start getting heavy. [Smile] Also ... I don't want to have to upgrade again anytime soon. LOL

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Janette,...looking at all those machines is confusing I agree!!!!! from the five minutes I searched dell's store on;ine and your descriptions I would point out to you those deals are for i5 3rd generation processors,...my advice is to go for the 3rd or 4th generation i7 processors,...it'll add an extra $100 or more at least to the price but 3 or 4 years from now your machine will still be up to snuff and it'll lessen the chances of premature obsolescence,.... another factor I look for is the amount of ram that comes with the system and especially the amount of ram that can be upgraded to,...3 years from now you don't want to have to buy a new machine because that 8 gb ram limit isn't enough for the last upgrade to fully cooperate without having to wait for each command to complete,.....last I would steer clear of the slimline smaller cases and go for the good old fashioned larger case to allow for extra cooling,...thus a longer life for the machine,...the new chips require cool environments even more so than the ones in use now so the larger case makes room for the heat to dissipate and more places for vents and fans,...it also often as not allows for room to upgrade video and sound cards if need be in the future,...other than checking the specs for each system to see what chip is used and the ram limits there isn't all that much difference,.....those are the tings I look for at the very least for myself,..often I click on the specs tab before I read the glitzy add copy for the model,...that is where the actual facts about the system are,confusing as they may be to some,....

[ July 01, 2013, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a particular budget you're trying to stay within?

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Thanks Tim for the info. When I go back to look again, I'll be armed with some more info.

Glenn, the biggest bang for the smallest buck of course. LOL But seriously, I could go 1500 to 2000 ... if it was worth it, for a good system.

I'm not so much into the frills as I am good solid ingredients for the best performance, to take me as far as I can. I'm not one of these folks that relishes in the next upgrade.

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I shopped for a Dell- a custom built machine with everything I wanted, was about $100 more than the Mac I ended up getting with everything I wanted...

I still have 2 older Dells that are workhorses, I had them built with as much ram as they could take at the time.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
btw- my next purchase will include a larger monitor and SSD drive

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And an IPS monitor at that Michael.
All new desktop configurations should do that type of monitor and like Michael said, SSD drives.
Apple uses High resolution IPS screens in their Imacs, at least the 27" ones.

A comparable one from Dell on sale can be had for around $500 to $600 (monitor only.)Hey,it's what you are looking at all day, might as be in the forefront of needs for a new computer.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Nettie,

In that price range, this is what I'd consider....

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=fdcwgt31b&model_id=xps-8700&

Add to that the 27" LED monitor and you've got it made.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Robare M. Novou
Visitor
Member # 3711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robare M. Novou   Author's Homepage   Email Robare M. Novou       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim, is Front Side Bus Speed still a factor in the world of new computers.?

I know in the old days it was very important to have a Fast Wide Side Bus.

Thought I heard something where they did away with the Front Side Bus in newer computers.

--------------------
Robare M. Novou
Milwaukee Sign Works
Milwaukee Wisconsin USA

Posts: 21 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robare M. Novou
Visitor
Member # 3711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robare M. Novou   Author's Homepage   Email Robare M. Novou       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janette, are you upgrading to a 64 bit system.?

--------------------
Robare M. Novou
Milwaukee Sign Works
Milwaukee Wisconsin USA

Posts: 21 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Robare actually it isn't that big of a deal anymore
intel basically integrated that part of the information flow into the chips themselves with netburst technology so the flow of information could be utilized by the multiple cores rather than the single core front side bus addressed and was implemented for,...with the multiple cores available such as the 8 core processors in the new 4th generation i7 that part(frontside bus) is handled within the chip itself

edited to add,....the new architecture is called Nehalem/Sandy Bridge microarchitecture,...

[ July 02, 2013, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Glenn, that was one of the ones I was looking at and leaning towards. My system now is an XPS 410 and has served me well.

I'm still curious tho ... does anyone know what the Precisions are? What's a "working station" ? Not sure what that means. The Dell chat person was saying that it would last longer because you could upgrade it, blah blah blah... Here's part of our chat session ...

07/01/2013 01:33:49PM Agent (Jeric D): "XPS is for customer that is looking for a system that offers a high entry level graphics."
07/01/2013 01:33:56PM Agent (Jeric D): "Our Precision line is for professionals in need of a graphics intensive machine. It's also a portable powerhouse that delivers absolute performance in every aspect. However, the cost on that is too great but it's worth to have a "beast" in your hands."
07/01/2013 01:34:53PM janette balogh: "there seems to be some sales on the precision right now. That is why I'm asking. May be overkill for my needs tho?"
07/01/2013 01:36:02PM Agent (Jeric D): "The precision is the right system for you because it will allow you to upgrade its parts in the future with more powerful parts."
07/01/2013 01:36:06PM janette balogh: "what types of businesses usually opt for the precision?"
07/01/2013 01:36:28PM Agent (Jeric D): "So basically that system will last longer in terms of life cycle and upgrades."
07/01/2013 01:37:22PM Agent (Jeric D): "Engineers, graphic designer, physicist and more."

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Janette,....there are two types of computers on a network,... the "servers" which are used to tie all the other computers together and help them communicate with each other,store commonly shared information and run the software to control the network. these machines usually sit in a special room,secured so that only a system administrator or his assistants have access to it,...often as not there will be multiple servers hooked up to only one monitor as they are designed to run by themselves with the least amount of input from an administrator ,...the latest greatest versions of those type computers use a xeon processor like the ones used in the precision work stations you mention,....A work station is considered to be catered to used by an individual either as part of a larger network and or as a stand alone machine,....often called clients in network terminology they are primarily designed to work by themselves just like the computers we use for our home and office for day to day use,....from the specs I read for the precision desktop work stations I could find on dells site they use xeon processors which I personally do not think will be that advantageous to you in a graphics design applications environment,...the 4th generation i7 is designed for the single workstation environment you intend to use it in and can be integrated into a network environment just as well,...

edited to add,...I read a high pressure sales pitch from the chat session you post and I have never heard of someone using server technology to run normal desktop apps for day to day use,...even the highest price special sign systems by SignBurst do not utilize server technology to speed things up they use the good old standard i3 i5 and i7 processors,..SignBurst computers make systems just for the sign and digital printing industry and the specs for the xps 8700 special edition will cost you another $600 or $700 more than what dell is charging you to come up with a comparible unit from SignBurst

[ July 02, 2013, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

The Precision comes with higher priced components and with the Xeon processor. For the nature of the work you're doing, I think its overkill. You're going to pay more but its not going to help you be all that much more productive (i.e. - profitable).

If I were doing 3D modeling, the Precision might be the way to go but you are going to pay dearly for it.

The XPS 8700 is plenty for the nature of the work you're doing. I don't see the more expensive Precision being much of a benefit. Personally, the XPS is what I would go with.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Kent Moss
Visitor
Member # 4295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Moss   Email Kent Moss       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janette,Precision,beast in your hands that sounds good.

About 12 yrs ago I purchased a Dell Precision 330 w/monitor,at that time it was one of the better models.I was told as U Precision is 4 the Graphics industry,so must b the way 2 go.

Only problem I've had was last spring the interior cooling fan died,did not know,then lost my hard drive,related problem,??

Still runing strong.I purchased direct from Dell,they have[did?]a list of factory refurbished & demo sales units for sale.Usually I would b leary of this,but they r fully garanted just like a brand new unit,plus U can get the extended waranty also.They were price reduced,think I payed around $2,000.

Dell claimed when new under waranty units are returned w/ problem,they send customer a brand new unit,then repair & sell as above units.

Good Luck

Kent Moss
Paint On...
Sweet Charleston

--------------------
Kent Moss
Greg Moss Signs

Posts: 363 | From: Wilbraham, MA / Charleston,SC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
since timi brought it up and you seem to have a lot of confusion on what YOU REALLY NEED.........i think you need to go to SIGNBURST... they will build you a computer THAT WILL BE UPGRADEABLE, serve your present and future needs without having the name of a computer manufacture like, DELL, GATEWAY, HP, COMPAQ.......on the front of the case.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robare M. Novou
Visitor
Member # 3711

Janette, with all the talent you harbor within yourself...I find it hard to believe that you cannot build your own computer to your own needs. It's not that hard. And you would save a lot of $$$.

I'm not a big fan of Dell computers. To me they are overpriced, and not upgadable...unless you pay them huge bucks for a Dell machine that you can upgrade later.

That said, for someone like yourself who does not build your own set up...then certainly a well known big buck overpriced name brand is the way to go. You get a waranty and some peace of mind knowing that if something does go wrong with the computer...you can get it easily serviced within the waranty period.

If you do decide to build your own, just remember to play by the numbers...the higher the spec numbers the better the computer.

If you do have problems with it down the road, there is always this forum to help you out, not to mention a ton of information on the good ole internet.

Start with an ASUS motherboard, which accepts a multicore processor and at least 16 gigs of RAM...upgradable to 32 gigs of RAM. A nice inexpensive PCI Graphics Card. A good power supply of say...750 watts of power or better. A nice stylish case with cool blue lights and plenty of fans...heck you might even spend the extra coin and use liquid cooling to keep it all humming along. Those multi-core processors need a lot of cooling. Insert a few SSD's, one for your operating system and graphics software (C-drive), and the others for photos (e-drive), and graphic files (f-drive). And don't forget the DVD player...to play all those movies on your new big screen monitor...the one you'll buy with all the money you save from building your own computer. Dell.? Pleeease.!!

[ July 02, 2013, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Robare M. Novou ]

--------------------
Robare M. Novou
Milwaukee Sign Works
Milwaukee Wisconsin USA

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

My dad built computers for a living and loved every minute of it- I on the other hand have absolutely no desire to try and build one again- I want to turn it on and use it as a tool that will make $$$ for me- I'm in the creative graphic business and need to spend my time creating and designing, that is how I make a living. If you have the time, resources, patience and desire to build your own, that is great... but not everybody can go that route and end up with a dependable machine in the end.

I have 2 Dells that have been dependable workhorses and I still use them every day- 1 that I had built in 2003 and 1 that I paid $150 for 2 years ago.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

The xps special edition workstation previously discussed is very much up-gradable,...it is in a mini tower case with plenty of open slots for expansion cards and such and more than likely has four or more slots for ram,...dell makes a fine machine and when you factor in the warranty it comes out comparable in cost to a custom built system from off the shelf parts that may or may not be designed with the system as a whole in mind,whereas the dell is engineered as a unit with all components designed and or adapted specifically to work together,...there is a big difference in the engineering compared to putting together parts off the shelf ,...

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been a fan of going to someone that builds computers to my personal needs. No more guesswork on what to get. Good luck girl! I know how tough this decision is.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Thanks everyone for each of your insights. I must say that one thing for sure is ... I won't be building my own. haha

Dell has proven itself to me during the years, but I'm not opposed to hiring someone to build a system for me.

Here's the loop I seem to run into whenever I have that conversation.
#1. I have people trying to tell me what I need or don't need. It's difficult to find someone who truly understands what you do and what you need. (even when I try to describe what I want) I find that most often, they tell me, "oh, you won't need that" only to find out down the road that I sure could have used "that".

#2. I don't know the "techno-babble" of all the latest and greatest (never mind the old stuff) enough to express my needs to someone.

Geek Speak is a language I have yet to master. LOL I find talking to guru's rather frustrating. As the saying goes, "you ask them for the time, they tell you how to build a watch" ... using terminology that is beyond me. They ramble on about all they know ... while my eyes glaze over. LOL

This is why I come on here for help ... to at least be able to be more informed about what may meet my needs. So when I have that conversation with the guru, I can perhaps stay focused (and awake) somehow. [Smile]

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Let us know what you decide. I'll be adding a new computer to the shop before long myself.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just built a machine that is as fast as anyone could wish.

Intel I7 CPU was 300
Motherboard with video was 120
SSD drive was 120 and a regular huge drive was 60
RAM was 40

So for around 800 anyone can assemble a machine that rivals just about anything a Dell can make.

For a couple hundred more one can build a machine that will open corel draw with the speed of a mouse click and render very intensive 3d graphics in a few seconds.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janette,
I just replaced my 12 year old computer last year with a Dell Precision T3500. It has an Intel Xeon processor and Windows 7 Professional. My brother knows computers and he gave me good advice on what to order. I think I will stick with Dell too. Good luck!
Judy

[ July 09, 2013, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Judy Pate ]

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been very interesting reading - thanks for asking the question, Nettie.

One thing no one's said/asked is Win 7 or W-8?

I used a win-8 PC when in Englans last month & really hated it! My daughter & son have Win-7 on their laptops. Yuk!.
Maybe old habits die hard, & I'm too used to using Win-XP, but I know where all the files are to be found!
[Smile]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

win 8 is about to get an upgrade that will address the issue of the traditional desktop and the start menu's return,...

edited to add,...Ian the old folder "my documents" has been moved from it's xp location on the root directory to a folder called "users" then to a subfolder named after the user's login name,... they can be found in the "documents" folder there in both win 7 and vista

[ July 10, 2013, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janett:
I just found this. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD095LL/A/refurbished-imac-29ghz-quad-core-intel-core-i5.

I don't want to start a PC/ Mac spat, but I own ONE PC, and three Macs ALL running Microsoft XP pro under the "parallels" simulator.

That way I have the best of both worlds, BUT I can run any of the current graphic design programs [ including those that only run on a PC OS].
This has worked for me flawlessly for over four years, and I even use this set up on my Mac Book Pro laptop, so I can go to my clients and show them real time results of their projects.

Keeping in mind your target monetary expenditure, the Mac platform "MIGHT" be something worth looking at.

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.
Berlin Center, Ohio 44401

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Posts: 575 | From: Berlin Center, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!