Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » The book that I want...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The book that I want...
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you consider what Mike Stevens did with defining graphics, so that we can describe what works and doesn't with any sign, that's what I want about store entryways. Not just a picture book of pretty fronts, but something with explanations that reveal the patterns of pleasing colors and proportions and textures and such. It wold need to speak about the architecture and the signs and window dressings also. How many of you have this book? Can you tell me its name please?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it, "Mastering Layout,,,The Art of Eye Appeal", writen by Mike Steven's? I have one. it's one of my "Jewels".

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was jaw dropping to watch this person at work...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Eddy   Email Pam Eddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this book too. Very good information for layout and design.

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Posts: 460 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it include the Mike Stevens 15% border technique [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from what i'm reading in rick's post... (he knows about mike's book).... he's asking is there a book that speaks to color, proportion and texture ?

[ June 09, 2013, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: Vance Galliher ]

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that my writing is incoherent or everyone is miss reading it.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rick
Signs of the Times have a publishing division and probably have the closest type of book that you are inquiring about. Their "Sign Gallery Series" in particular, although they have separate books that touch on the topics you've specified.The earliest 3 editions of that series are probably out of print and are probably also the most relavent to the hand painting craft portion of the trade.

The link to their on-line bookstore is:

stmediabooks.com/store/shop-by-brands/signage-and-graphics/signs-of-the-times.html?p=4

Hopefully you find something there which satisfies your needs.

Edited to add:

Here's another link to a more recent book authored by a Chinese Graphic Designer. Possibly interesting to see how America's Commercial Storefronts are viewed by someone with a different cultural background.
It's at :
http://www.linksbooks.net/architecture-books/storefronts-usa/

[ June 09, 2013, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Ken Henry ]

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would also be interesting to consider the ergonomics of the storefront. Years ago I had an interesting conversation with a video store owner who read about ergonomics; and employed the concepts in his new store. He was saying that people don't like the corners of a counter, so they use the middle. His store's counters were all 'mitered' for lack of a better term; a square became an 8 sided place. The isles where the videos were displayed were only chest high, so that the store had a more open look.
I'm wondering if there are different kinds and sizes of doors that are more appealing. In the typical how to paint landscapes book, they will say to make a country road curve out of sight to invoke the viewer's curiosity, and draw them into the scene. I had someone once tell me that the reason storefront windows were papered completely over when a new business was moving in was to invoke a sense of mystery and curiosity before the grand opening.
Just rambling on with what might be relevant thoughts.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Thank you Mr. Donahue. Your comment re assured me that someone understood my comments. I have the old ST books. They are pictures. I'm thinking about some analytical evaluation and the results of study where there are defined concepts explained. Proportions. Color use. Amount of open window space. I doubt any such book has been written yet.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my travels I have yet to see such a book... although that by no means that there isn't one. Good luck in your search.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this: retail , might be a start. I figured people had studied the thing.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Masters
Visitor
Member # 851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Masters   Email Bill Masters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick try some of the old International Correspondence School Books.

--------------------
Bill Masters
Golden Signs
Scranton,PA
signbum@msn.com

Posts: 86 | From: Scranton,PA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, you might enjoy "The Old Way of Seeing" by Jonathan Hale. It's more about architecture but gets into the subject of design which I found extremely interesting. The book was recommended to me by Shane Durnford, whose work we have all admired here in Letterville. I was able to check the book out at the library.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 7 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick
I haven't seen such a book, but VM&SD (Visual Merchandising and Store Design magazine) used to run some articles covering research on the topic. It was mostly college-type statistics analysis (data crunching) on how long people stopped to look in a window, or what effect a "sale" sign had, etc. Kind of dry stuff, and not really any digested information that I recall coming out of it. Their published by the same people who publish Signs of the Times as well as Boutique Design.

Steven's book is singular in the design field for prescriptive design advice. That's why it is used as a textbook in many design disciplines; not just for sign design.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!