Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Luco 7900PS series brushes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Luco 7900PS series brushes?
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a new brush, a 1/2" diagonal fitch, from Rayco. I was expecting this to be similar to my Mack fitches (which seem to have some boar or ox to stiffen them up). This one feels very very soft, so I'm guessing its mostly squirrel. Can somebody tell me what this kind of brush is for?

It feels too soft to use on rough walls (which is what I needed it for). I'm guessing maybe it will be nice for hand painting onto dimensional letters? Laying down size?

Its a beautifully made brush... I don't want to ruin it!

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it could be used for filling in them bigger letters or doing a brush blend. And also for guilding, keeping the size flat and run free. Maybe even window lettering using 1-Shot or similar product.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
we used to call those blitz fitches back in my billboard painting days,...you'll have to use your paint somewhat thinner than if you were using a china bristle fitch,..they actually allow for sharper lines on masonry (and old rough repainted billboards)than normal china bristle fitches and work much faster once you get used to them,(you don't want to use near as much pressure as you would with a china bristle and especially do not use enough pressure to ride the heel of the fitch it,ll ruin the brush just like it would a quill)...I wouldn't try filling in with them as they will take a week of extra time if you do(1/2" brush won't hold much paint and you'll wear it out real quick on brick using it for a fill in brush),...all this being said after 40 years of painting walls I prefer that type of brush for outlining my copy before filling it in with a larger brush or roller

edit to add,... try it out on a wall somewhere first and with a little practice you'll see what I mean,...I also would advise using a larger size for any copy over 1' high,it'll hold more paint for longer strokes...

[ May 07, 2013, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Scooter, long time! still painting in the Heart of Art, SF environs...
just checked my brushes, first used the black, soft ditches, M. Grumbacher series 3722,early '60's, got some Mack series 4039 w/ gold handle 7-8 years ago, like Tim said, work real well in the right circumstances... was told early on "good to work on oilcloth signs(stretches on a frame)

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 7 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. It does feel like it would be nice to use on walls... I was just afraid a rough surface would wear it out prematurely. Maybe I'll save it in case I get an interior wall to paint on...
(I've pretty much quit using 1-Shot for any exterior use unless I'm spraying or rolling and can put down two coats...)

--------------------

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Leamons
Resident

Member # 42199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Leamons   Email Gary Leamons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scooter
We used to call this brush a deer foot fitch or just a soft fitch. The long metal ferrule allowed the use of a straight edge on vertical lines. The helper filled in the letter. This brush took a long time to master and what a dripper!
I began my sign career at Blogett Signs on High St. in Oakland,in 1964. Are they still around?

Gary Leamons L'Sign Co

--------------------
Gary Leamons
Baraboo, WI

Posts: 1 | From: Baraboo, WI | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gary
Thanks for the extra info on the "deer foot".

No, Blogget is no longer around (I've never heard of them, so they chalked up, faded out, and blew away over a decade ago.

--------------------

Bill Reusch
Visitor
Member # 8028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Reusch   Email Bill Reusch       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They also work great lettering corrugated semi trailers

--------------------
Bill Reusch
Reusch Sign Company
3258 80th. ave.
Knapp, Wis. 54749
715-665-2647

Posts: 83 | From: Knapp, Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bill
Ah, corrugated trailers -- that makes sense! (I've only ever painted one box truck, so I forget about paint on vehicles...)

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!