Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Gerber Edge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gerber Edge
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how many of you are still using the Edge? With the Advent of large format printers I was wondering about getting back to using it for shorter run and specialty decals....What are your thoughts? Do you use it often?

[ April 19, 2013, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Neil D. Butler ]

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm running my every day. I wouldn't survive without it.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also run it every day and agree with Glenn totally

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be without it. I outsource most bigger stuff now, but for smaller prints I need right now, I use the Edge.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have both, and we still use the Edge regularly. The learning curve to train someone on the Edge is a lot higher than an inkjet, so that is a consideration as well. Also the expendables are more costly with the Edge. When we had the Edge only, we were doing jobs with it that would have been done much quicker, with higher quality and less cost than if they were done on the Roland. For small decals with a spot colour or two, contour cut, the Edge is the go to machine for us. Also it is better at printing white and metallics and printing on specialty materials... as long as the shortest dimension is 11.8" or less.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup...I use mine often.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mines a dust gatherer now Im afraid. Everything on the large format for past five years

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do thousands of dollars worth of LexEdge lables a year. Special cuts, special adhesive, no other way to do them. Looking to upgrade to an Edge 2 when a good deal shows up. Can't go to the FX as MacImprint won't drive it.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Edge is limping along. I can do spot colors on it but no process color work. Even so, it still is making me money creating hard hat decals. Trying to decide whether or not it is worth refurbishing.

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use mine 3 times a week. i need to replace the hydraulic lifters. They are 12 yearrs old. My machine is about 18.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check and see if they are coming to your area!
http://www.gspinc.com/sharp/

Looks like it is worth your time!

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you know that the hydraulic lifters are easily replaceable......FROM THE JUNKYARD!!
My husband found a pair at our local auto wrecker on one of the small hatchbacks and they snapped into place perfectly for $5 instead of over $100 through Gerber.....go figure!

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the NAPA Number for the hydraulic lifters
NAPA number is 8195622.

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have my Edge fx I bought about 6 years ago... it gave me so much trouble that I simply started using the wide format for everything, I gave up on the edge.. sorta... honestly it has only about a year on it, and thats part time... but it is good for quick short run decals and like some said specialty materials....but I'm either considering getting a new one and a gs15 plotter, or just getting it fixed, I still have the envision 375 Plotter as well... but thats 15 years old now,but it still works.... sounds like it may be a good Idea to get it up and running.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice Brian &Sue . I will check both of those out. I go to NAPA frequently- we have 4 junker vehicles and do a lot of our own repairs.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use mine all the time. Brian, thanks for that #, I knew there was a napa # out there but I'll tack that on my bulletin board since mine are getting tired.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Brian
I got the lifters from Napa. Thanks. They work like a charm.
$29.00 each. Thanks!

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Brian
I got the lifters from Napa. Thanks. They work like a charm.
$29.00 each. Thanks!

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Brian. I too have new lifts on my machine because of you! Now the machine seems happy to pop open and get ready for a day of work!

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

No problem, just keep those money makers working!

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If mine didn't loose a pixel at 6.378" up, I would use mine more, but I have a 30" Mimaki and Laminator and it becomes difficult to laminate the 15" material.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sharpen you Edge seminar in my area in two weeks. I just registered. Thanks Brian for the heads up

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

No problem Rick! Hope your Edge check-up makes it as good or better than new!

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

No problem Rick! Hope your Edge check-up makes it as good or better than new!

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still run the trunnion model I bought back in '96.

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking into aquiring a laminator and I figure if I laminate my edge prints wich are rated for 3-5 already, Lamination should provide even longer of a life. [Smile] Once I figure this thing out lol

[ June 12, 2013, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Lamination is the way to go Rob, the longevity of edge prints were always a concern of mine...

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the radio station's SUV about 5 years ago with a combination of Edge decals, yellow/UV guard overprint and laminated prints off my old HP9000s.

They just got rid of it last week and most of the Edge prints were almost white and much to my surprise and delight. the HP print literally looked like it was done last week.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!