Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » The best birthday gift EVER

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The best birthday gift EVER
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bookkeeper has been over the past two weekends. She only comes at year end. In all honestly, it hasn't really mattered that she came more than that because I've allowed myself to land in the lowest tax bracket, not really needing to know the $ numbers for the most part. Just go about my work and pay the bills. No big deal.

Well, this weekend was somewhat of a game changer. The numbers showed I nearly made as much with my blogging gig (aka passion thing) vs the sign biz. Whaaa??? I didn't see that slip by!

I cut myself a deal awhile back. When I can surpass my blog gig beyond my sign gig, I am allowed to quit the dayjob. But not a moment sooner.

And just for that added little extra push, my main dayjob client told me about this mandatory new thing that will require me there even MORE in 2014. I don't want more, I was banking for less.

I have less than a year to make the final flip to avoid that ditch. And I'm going to give it all I've got in order to do it.

I turned 51 on Saturday. My ploy isn't to get all these bday wishes. Not even close. My point is, if I can start over at this age....

Well, you know the rest.

Just do it.

[ April 07, 2013, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Donna in BC ]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna

Here's to making the switch to your passion. This is an inspiration to all who dream. Our dream (realized when I turned 59) was to build our dream house. We hope to move in in about eight weeks.

GO for the dreams and work with our passion.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
51 what? You don't look a day over 20.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like AC•DC would say...For those about to Rock....We Salute You!!!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first came to Washington state from California, I had no clients. I took a job running the signshop at a local amusement park. I worked there for six years. Job had medical/dental benefits as well. But as time went on I was able to build up a clientel even though I am smack dab in the middle of some of America's finest signshops. Then one day I told my manager I was leaving. He said 'But you make such nice signs here." He couldn't understand my logic of leaving a hourly job. That was in 2002, I have never looked back since. Go for it girl, like the song from the Mary Tylor Moore Show, "You're gonna make it after allll!!!.
 -

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn's right, you must be counting in dog years.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Donna!! and Happy Birthday!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Donna! Go for your dream and make it happen.

Happy Birthday!

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy belated Donna. I commend you for your success in following your passions. When you have so many talents, you have so many choices...your hard work is paying off, good on you. (Dan, you too!)

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandpaw gives junkmaker a high four! We aren't aging Donna,....we're evolving. "sign" will always be in our blood even if it isn't in our name anymore. I'm moving toward furniture making and back to photography.... It's all good!

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a birthday wish has come true, life is good after all.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did you monetize your blog?
What you and Dan said is inspiring; I'm 53, but what's interesting is that I seem to have gained a certain discipline that allows me to think clearer now than before.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Grandpaw gives junkmaker a high four! We aren't aging Donna,....we're evolving. "sign" will always be in our blood even if it isn't in our name anymore. I'm moving toward furniture making and back to photography.... It's all good!
Well said! [Smile]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥ ΈΈ.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥Happy Birthday!♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥ ΈΈ.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥ To You ♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥ ΈΈ.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥Happy Birthday!♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥ ΈΈ.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥ To You ♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥ ΈΈ.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥Happy Birthday!♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥ ΈΈ.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥ Happy Birthday! ♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥ ΈΈ.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•.ΈΈ♥ Happy Birthday! To You!

★ ☆•°*”˜˜”*°•.Έ☆ ★ ☆Έ.•°*”˜˜”*°•.Έ☆•°*”˜˜”*°•.Έ☆ ★
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ (―`v΄―)
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ `·.Έ.·'BIRTHDAY
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ Έ.·΄Έ.·¨) Έ.·¨)TO YOU DONNA!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥(Έ.·΄ (Έ.·΄ (Έ.·¨―`★

Good for you Donna - when you love what you're doing, you'll never work a day in your life!

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Donna [Applause]
and a Happy Belated Birthday to you.

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2376 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Junkmaker... bhaha that's PERFECT!

James, I monetize with 'ugly' ads right now to play along with the blog game thing. But Dan is pushing me hard to ditch them and make my own way. I'm getting there! Some side online gigs are helping but I already know what the main game changer will be... ugh. The hardest and longest one of all. Gotta get that ebook writing complete!

Thanks everyone! I had a wonderful bday with friends and food all day long. And even a nap just like Raymond!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your dream will be your reality! awesome! and happy birthday!!!!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no doubt in my mind that your dream is going to come true. You are a very special lady - there's something inside you that is very different. It shows in your passion for your work and your love as a mother. Follow your heart.

And...Happy Birthday..a little late. If you could find a way to bottle whatever secret you have for looking forever young at 51 you could make a mint.

Naps are never wrong.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, I think it's the water out there in Yarrow. Look at those lovely ladies, Janis, Donna and Bec. It's like a fountain of youth. It doesn't seem to work for men however. But, that could be because Coke isn't made from local water. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, Happy belated birthday wishes...

Many years ago we used to chat and you let me know that you had surpased $100K gross for a year. That inspired me to try to attain that target, and I did.

Thank you for letting me know it was possible for a one person operation!

Now that I am on the other side of retirement, please let me give you this small bit of advice...Pay as much as you can into CPP during the next 9 years...You will enjoy the benefits after age 60. Also, if you haven't already, start up an RRSP account.

You are 51 now, but the years DO creep up quickly and you need to assure your future.

Just a comment from an old fart that used to be 51!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday Donna!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lady Donna, or are you more prone to MaDonna from Cody? there is a book that you might find inspiration from Do WHat You Love and the Money Will Follow
Let me know if you ever get it and care to comment.
Belated Happy Birthday again, and again, and again.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Hey Dave,
There are a whole bunch of us getting perilously close to retirement.
I think it will be like starting a new sign business. You, fret and plan and analyze. You procrastinate, you dream, you think you have all the answers. The next minute you're scared and really wonder if you can do it. Then all of a sudden, boom you're there and this is your new life. It's all kind of scary and you wish you had a mentor. Instead, you plow through, one day a victory the next day a failure.
Up and down,forward and backward. When it comes to retirement, there is literally no time for failure or even trial and error.
You and Shirl, as much as anyone I know, seem to have made a smooth transition to this new business of retirement.
I would love to see you start a thread on the topic of Retiring from the sign business. A good open exchange of thoughts and experiences that people like us can relate to and participate in.
Cheers...

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Duncan...And it did take a few years to go from planning to fruition. At your suggestion, I'll try to put together a description of how we planned it. But not tonight!!! [Big Grin]

Stay tuned tomorrow.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

[Applause] Thanks Appy

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

I remember that convo, Dave! I'm glad it made a difference for you!

The money was great but it just wasn't enough to keep me going. I just lost interest. Your advice is heeded! Now to get busy...

Thanks everyone! Not entirely sure where things are taking me as the opportunity seems to change daily. It's one pretty crazy surreal ride.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!