Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Heads-up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heads-up
Shane Durnford
Resident

Member # 8125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Durnford   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Durnford       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all.
Received a call from Sandy Baird (thanks Sandy) this morning regarding some of my sign images being used on a sign franchise website passing the work off as their own. Even so far as to post ca copyright notice.
...takes all kinds.
Aside from copyright infringement, it's just wrong.
I've been in touch...

Point is, I've noticed some fellow crafters signs on there as well, including Dan Sawatzky and Rene Giroux.

web page 1
web page 2

--------------------
Shane Durnford
Shane Durnford Design
142 Mill Street, Creemore, ON, L0M 1G0

Posts: 302 | From: Creemore, ON | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like they have scanned a few trade magazines. They even have other shops ads.
Tacky, tacky, tacky!

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW how rude can ya get, excuse maybe just because it is seen online, they think it can be used MAYBE

That very is rude.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Idiocy on parade.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How Nice!!! Hate to say it, I know I'm going to sound Racist... Nope Not going to say it...lol

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at least they have good taste- I didn't see one "peeing Calvin" or Brush Script CAPS on a curve... [Rolling On The Floor]

A similar thing happened in the photography world- a friend of mine is a pro, and he hired a girl to be a 2nd shooter at a wedding- she did fine, but a few months later it was discovered that she had used another photogs work on her website (implying that it was her own work). She apologized publicly, took them down and replaced with her own work, but it was too late the damage had been done- the pro photog world beat her down so bad that she had to quit the profession. It was very ugly, and even though she did good work, nobody would hire her.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed another long-time Letterhead's work also posted on that site. I called Dave Beatty to give him a heads up as well. Ironically, they not only posted his work...but also a picture of him holding up a finished piece. Nervy to say the least. They also proudly display the Better Business Bureau logo, implying membership...but I have to wonder if they're even members in good standing.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every photo on that website is a Sign I have seen someplace else.. I don't think they have a Sign of their own on that thing.. I would be contacting their ISP and file a copy write complaint.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we can all keep them very busy by asking for "Free" sign quotes. "Ah, how much is a sign like the one in picture five, but I will be using my own design, one that I designed myself, I want more color than the,,,,,,
Drive em nuts.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On looking at these websites I, also, noticed how they go about the wording around the images.......They never claim to have created, manufactured or installed any of the signs shown in that website......They are just showing the viewer the images of the different kinds of signs that they are selling.......This is as far as I go on that topic......I have no idea if this is legal or is an infringement of copyright.....It may be...But it looks, more, like a misleading act of lack of integrity.

However, this reminds me, that during the days of "no computer", back in 1977, while living in Florida, I was doing a lot of sign work for this new sign shop, in Coral Springs, Fla.........Lettering signs,billboards,vehicles, walls,windows, etc. and, also, making sign patterns for neon tubing on storefront windows, channel letters installations ( on walls ), etc.

I was not an employee of this sign shop, I was just a contractor ( freelancer ), working for a percentage of the selling price of every project.

The owner of the sign shop had three salesmen, working on commission, who always wore nice suits, ties, carried expensive briefcases and drove nice cars.

They usually left the shop every Monday morning,around 10am, right after they had finished planning their sales for the week, during their usual sales meeting, and returned back to the shop the next Friday, to turn in all the job orders they had closed throughout the week.

These salesmen covered the whole State of Florida, from Key West to the Panhandle, selling all kinds of signs.....mostly electrical signs for shopping malls, apartment complexes, golf courses, storefronts, vehicle fleets, etc.

Other than their selling skills, the only sales tool that each salesman carried was a portfolio full of skillfully cut ( by the sign shop owner's wife ), colored, photographs of signs made by other sign craftsmen, at other shops, all over the country....which had been carefully extracted from the Signs of the Times magazine.....and nothing else.

Incidentally, the shop owner, had, previously, been a plumber, for many years ( in California ), before coming to live in Florida. He never could make a sign, by himself, if his life depended on it.

We all made a lot of money, in those days, because of this man without integrity.....He died of old age and a very rich man, while retired in Bonita Beach, Fla.

Thought I would share this little story with you guys......Somewhere in there, there is a lack of integrity lesson to be learned.....if you choose to do so.

[ April 01, 2013, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I happened on the whole thing by checking out Pinterest and saw Shane's sign that took me to Flikr and then on to 1stopvisual.com I got a hold of Shane and we chatted about the whole thing. I mentioned that I had posted some of my signs on pinterest and then pulled them all off and added my website in the corner of the picture and re-posted. I think this is something we should all make a habit of even when posting a picture here. It is so easy to lift a image off the web. I know with a little photoshop or a careful crop they can remove the watermark, but based on what I have seen, laziness seems to go along with swiping images. Just a thought. We all have to look out for each other.

check out these pages as well on Flickr as they have posted other peoples signs there and place their copyright tag under it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/84904676@N05/page11/

[ April 01, 2013, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Sandy Baird ]

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so insulted. So far, I haven't found any of my work there. He could at least have posted some of my stellar examples of hand lettering... oh wait! Those sure wouldn't have sold anything.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an update on this company. I looked at their webpage and noticed the BBB logo, the SAC-ACE and other logos they say they are a member of. I check with the Ontario Better Business Bureau and they are not a member. I checked with the Sign Association of Canada of Canada and they are not a member, and the woman I spoke with said they have been in touch with the company to have them remove their logo from the page, after recieving an email from Steve Greer.
Please take a look on their website and see if any of your work is there. If so, contact them. If you see work of other sign artists you know, contact them and let them know.
I have contacted the company myself and told them that they must correct the page immediately and made sure they understood how wrong they are.
I also told them that the Flickr page was worse, as they put their copyright tag under work they had taken and portrayed as their own.
I have even seen a sign by Periandros Damoulis in Greece on the site.
I am hoping that with enough pressure the two sites will be fixed very soon.

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I requested quotes for signs done by Shane, Dan and Rene but they haven't responded.
I came across this happening a few years ago with a company here in Ottawa. The owner had bought into a sign franchise and put up a web site showing other signmakers work; I suggested he replace the photos with project of his own.
I've also had an ex employee take credit for signs they did not do, but had been done in my shop while they were employed. One such employee later tried to pawn my work off as his own to get a job working with Shane and I believe he worked with Dave Beatty for a short time...the nerve!!!
He has since moved back into the Ottawa area and is still going about saying he did this or that sign (my signs)and trying to get work that way.
I suppose it makes for a good idea to put some kind of company tag on the projects, or decal or something that works like a signature. Do most of you practice this?

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one David.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've worked with a handful of outstanding, dedicated and honest sign salesmen over the years but unfortunately many are pretty low on the food chain. A lot of these people are nothing but "widget" salesmen who bounce around from one industry to another and are only concerned with commissions.

[ April 02, 2013, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Brent Logan ]

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They must have got tired of nasty emails and calls (mine included) for the website is now down for maintenance.

Thanks to those watching out for us and for the time to let those involved know.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

There is a lot more work for this company to do before they erase their mistakes.

I went back to Pinterest and they still have images of others work with their tagline.

Next the 11 page spread on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84904676@N05/

Then, just this morning I followed a like to a number of Youtube videos that contain others work. Shane, your gallery sign is on this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ualt9mNA4Mg

I will drop them a call tomorrow if these other sites aren't cleaned up.

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look at their storefront photos, doesn't it seem incongruous that a shop that uses such tacky layouts on their building along with Brush Script on their flyer could come up with all the beautiful, well thought out work they claim to have done?

I've seen some brazen claims in my time but this one takes the cake. Thanks to Sandy and Shane for bringing it to our attention.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truely a talented group of artist...con artist that is.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to laugh....Like many, I sent an e-mail to this company expressing my thoughts about their dubious advertising.

Their response to my comment was to "block" my Mexican ISP!!!!

No big deal, I doubt that anyone from this area is going to order a sign from them anyway. There are plenty of much more talented sign painters and graphic designers, than they are, here!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, their site is down, and the original links Shane put up are defunct...

Well done for noticing it, Sandy!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

I have gone about as far as I can go.
I tried to have all of the images that belong to sign artists here and abroad removed, but because I wasn't the one who had my pictures used, I am unable to get the images off flickr and youtube. All of the pictures that where on the website are also on those two sites. here is the message from flickr:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Flickr Member Support.

The Flickr team greatly respects the intellectual property
of creators. Issues of infringement are handled for us by
the specialists within the Yahoo! Copyright Team. Please
click the "Copyright/IP Policy" link that's available in the
footer of every page to reach your Yahoo! Copyright Team,
where you will be able to file a Notice of Infringement.

(Only the copyright holder can file a Notice of
Infringement.)
Thank you again for contacting us. If you have any other
questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Regards,
Flickr staff

The youtube site has the same complaint system, so if your images are on the sites, you will have to make the complaint yourself. 1stop signs, feels they have done enough and are unwilling to do anything to flickr and youtube.

I'm done. It up to you if you want to pursue it.

Sandy

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The site is back up. Dan's sign is still up under "corporate".

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that is cheeky, as well as an honour, and disgusting & dishonest at the same time...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flicker is down, youtube is still up.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a similar issue with a company that had used some of my images (laser engraved business cards). I found the ISPs that were hosting their site and sent them a "Notice of Copyright Violation" (a copy can be found at Godaddy.com) along with a description of the images that belonged to me (URL addresses of the images) it took a week but the images were taken off their site (and replaced with other images from the web).

The excuse that the web site owner gave me was that they had a company in India develop their website and they had the right to use any image on the web as it was in public domain.

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

They've staked claims on pictures pulled from just about every trade journal article, supplier catalog and ad for the sign industry. That's some real chutzpah.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

The last time I contacted them to compain, I told them, that, they have 3 location. You must have created enough signs of your own to fill your website. Use images of your own work and avoid this hastle.

She the asked If it would be OK for them to farm any 3d work out to me. I couldn't help laughing out loud, but explained I didn't think that was a good idea, for me, and I passed.

I guess they felt I had been a pain in their ass,long enough, and this might get me to back off.
I would have been more impressed by the offer had they used any of my images on their site, and had an idea of the work I do.

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!