Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Anyone using the new Porter Paint Glyptex!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone using the new Porter Paint Glyptex!
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone tried this Glyptex paint from Porter yet? I am trying different brands of water-based paints and this stuff is amazing. It rolls on like oil-based 1-Shot and flows out smooth with minimal effort. I got a very smooth finish with a simple black foam roller. The colors are nice and are custom mixed but they didn't have a really bright red for some reason.

I wanted a real bright Cardinal Red but they couldn't mix it so I am still looking for other brands that can match the bold colors of oil based paints. I was happy that this new Porter paint works well and covers great, but was disappointed that some colors weren't achievable.

Does anyone know of an acrylic paint that has the bold colors that we are familiar with? Would NOVA paint be the answer for painting aluminum panels and HDU? I know it works great for murals!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, our local hardware store (Do-It) told me their paint is made by Sherwin-Williams.

Last summer, they mixed me up some bright red, that was quite bright. It was called Hot Rod Red. I got it in a satin exterior.

I believe Do-It hardwares are around most of the country; but if you don't have them,maybe check with Sherwin-Williams to see if they have it. Their line of Super Paint has some good, bright colors and holds up well. Glyptex is a very good paint.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronan's Aquacoat is a good available paint & red is bright.
But it still needs a UV clear coat also finding that Modern Masters UV clear coat seems to be better then Ronan's UV aquathane

As far as NOVA ..only time I used it is at Arcola Walldog meet & it seems outstanding in color & coverage also with the understanding it will last,
but is only available from Nova.

Modern Masters also seems work good for color, but coverage in question But was great for pictorial painting.

I'm find using LATEX instead 1 Shot on outdoor signs is a big plus yes on Alum composite works great.
Still using 1 Shot on cars & trucks though.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dale and Craig, I actually have a Sherwin-Williams paint store very close to my shop, but had really good results using Porter paints on a big sign project 2 years ago. I have used Sherwin-Williams paint before and liked it but the Porter paint Glyptex was a whole different feel and covered really well.

The closest Modern Masters paint distributor is 30 miles away so that's not very convenient. The closest Ronan dealer is 5 hours away in Chicago.

I hope others here will shine some light on what works for them in acrylic latex paint. Until then, I will be trying out other brands when I can. Thanks guys.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Porter is now owned by Pittsburg Paints, as far as I know. My local (Austin) dealer went out of business and said that all the color formulas have been changed. The paint is still labeled as Porter but the color formulas are from Pittsburg.

Porter had a Safety Red that was very bright and covered well, but it is no longer available. Some of the other brands I've used are bright, but take about five or six coats and fade quickly.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just used a qt of a very bright red in SW resilience line. It took 2-4 coats to cover. I needed some more and visited my nieghborhood Devo paint store. Ed mixed there top of the line to SW's formula. the Devo covered much nicer but was not quite as bright but dang close. We'll have to see about color fastness over time. It did lay down smoothly. I am encouraged.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, I thought I saw once that you used Sherwin-Williams SuperPaint as well. Does it work as good or better than the Resilience? They also have a new "Emerald" paint that is supposed to be a lifetime warranty for exterior! Just wondering since you are in Florida if you notice which latex paint is working.

Ray, I know you have used Porter for a while which is why I used their paint for a sign project 2 years ago. It still looks great. Their Glyptex version seems to really roll out smoother than any latex paint I've tried. have you tried it yet? I was told it had some of the characteristics of oil-based paint which explains how it flows out so nice. Do you think they are blowing smoke or is their truth in their words?

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't tried the new Glyptex, but I'm pretty fond of Porter AcriShield. No problems even with the new formulae, even if they're PPG now.
Except ......... their reds suck.
I've come to the conclusion that any reds that work have to be mixed into a red base ...... not a clear base. Para ( Canada) uses a red base, or at least did. Someone said once that Sherwin Williams has a red base as well, but I don't know that for a fact. There's a Sherwin Williams store near here ( 50 miles) but they don't sell Superpaint in exterior in Canada, & nothing exterior in quarts. So..... I'll keep on buying my Porter every spring in South Carolina.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve I do like SW super paints but it is only available in gallons. Resilience is a more pricy paint but they will make any color in qts. That is why I am using it.
This afternoon I was facing a lot of outlining with a liner brush. Chris Lovelady gave me a bit of Nova color black. I added about twice as much resilience to the nova and paletted it out with Flotrol. It flowed of the liner incredibly well. and covered amazingly.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!