Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 10 years later...“flowers for the living”...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 10 years later...“flowers for the living”...
Bob Gilliland
Visitor
Member # 28

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Bob Gilliland   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Gilliland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the time to visit memories of the cherished past but remember to take the action today that will become those cherished moments and not moments of regret.

My visits here to Letterville are nowhere near as frequent as they use to be and posts are even rarer. I did want to take a moment and remember “Daddy Fine Gold” and to also gently remind anyone who reads this that right now is happening but your tomorrow is not guaranteed. Dear friend Raymond said “flowers for the living”; make that call, drop by for that visit, write that letter or send that email. Flowers on the casket or at graveside are nice, however, the guest of honor doesn't get to enjoy them and the conversation with him/her is very one sided at that point. Go ahead; reach out now to add another memory to be remembered instead of adding to a list of regrets.

RICK GLAWSON EULOGY, as delivered by Raymond Chapman

Frederick Elvin Glawson
Wilmington, California
October 7, 1947 – March 10, 2003
55 Years, 5 Months, 3 Days

We are here this morning to celebrate the life of Rick Glawson. Son. Brother. Friend. “Brother of the Brush”. Mentor. And for Lola, a special “son”.

It is a sad occasion because one so dear is no longer with us, but it is not a mournful sorrow that we experience because of the assurance that Rick still lives, only in a different setting.

Today is St. Patrick’s Day. It is altogether fitting that we should gather this morning as a family to honor our patron saint.

Rick was a giant man with a gentle heart. He towered over many of us, both physically and professionally, but that Teddy Bear personality never made us feel uncomfortable or threatened. When asked his height he would say that he was 5’-17”. Maybe that was so that he would not appear to be looking down on us.

He was a constant learner and the ultimate teacher. His mind was a sponge for knowledge and once some information was in that “steel trap” it did not escape, and then he willingly shared it with anyone who would ask. Or even vaguely looked interested. All of us were awed by his knowledge on such a wide range of subjects. Today, most of us here are better at our craft because of what Rick learned and shared.

But we are not here this morning because Rick was so knowledgeable. If he had been a genius and a jerk no one would have showed up. We are here because Rick looked upon each of us as very important, whether we were or not. In his eyes everyone was valuable. And whatever he had, he wanted to share with others.

Wonder where he learned the value of a person? Could it be from the one that saw in him something valuable, someone important, when others didn’t? We owe so much to Lola, for without her we probably would not have had Rick.

He was at his best when he was teaching, whether it was in a classroom, sitting across the table at a meal, holding court at the green chair, or talking to you on the phone. Almost everyone here has a story of how the quick call to Rick turned into an hour, or more. Or how the simple question at a Letterhead gathering resulted in a history lesson, along with some chemistry, some philosophy, and a good session of building self-esteem – yours. Rick assumed that you were just as excited about some new bit of information as he was. Often, many of us wanted to say, “Rick, I didn’t want to know THAT MUCH”. But we still always jotted down a few notes so that we wouldn’t forget.

Certainly, all of us in the sign business are going to miss having that immediate and complete source of information and encouragement available to us with just a phone call. But far above that void is the lack of having Rick’s smile to greet us. I don’t remember a time when he wasn’t smiling. So many have said, “I’ve never seen him angry”. Even over the phone the voice projected a mental picture of a smiling, caring, loving person on the other end.

When you ordered something from Rick you not only got a box of supplies, but an encouraging word, a genuine concern that your project was going to turn out great, and usually some follow up call or remembrance the next time he saw you. In all of his greatness, he remained the humble teacher, always wanting you to have the spotlight and the savor of success.

Rick had a unique sense of humor. He liked to laugh. It was not unusual to be seriously listening to a long explanation of why one bathroom cup was better than the rest and then to suddenly realize that he had very gently begun to pull your leg. He looked at life a little differently than the rest of us – who here thinks Habeneros are a snack food? Or have you ever wondered if Rick owned a pair of shoes? Because we always saw him in sandals.

Time is our most prized possession. It cannot be replaced. And yet, that is what Rick gave away so freely. With every question he never seemed disturbed, annoyed, or rushed. He simply made you the center of his attention. We will probably never know how many nights he had to stay up to finish his own projects because he had used up the day helping us with ours.

For years many of us thought that we were Rick’s best friend because he treated us so special. And then we found out that he treated everyone special, whether you had been in the business for twenty years or twenty minutes. His patient was infinite. It seemed he never tired of the endless string of questions. Your question was important even if it were the most mundane and simple.

His smile always intrigued me. It was different. Along with it came a special sparkle in his eyes, and his eyebrows began to go up and his eyes just kept getting bigger. Almost like he knew something that you didn’t. And, of course, he did. It was more than just a vast array of facts and figures. He had discovered the secret that so few of us ever find – that people are more important than things. And that is what drew us to him.

You see, Rick was a preacher. He didn’t wear a collar, or a robe, or stand behind a pulpit. His life was an open book. Not one that he wrote, but one that he read…and lived. Many of us claim to believe in the “good news” but Rick was one of the few that truly allowed it to direct his life.

John 13:35 “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love you another.”

We were given a glimpse of what God is like as He was revealed in how Rick treated people. All people.

Rick found assurance in the fact that this place was not his home. The short time he was here was with the knowledge that he was not designed for an existence in an imperfect world.

John 14:1ff “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”

Rick is not dead. He has just changed residences. Before us is the body that Rick used while he was here. But this is not Rick. He has gone home.

The Apostle John describes that place in Rev. 21 “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of the heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.’”

Later in that chapter of Revelation John began to describe the characteristics of the city.

V. 18 “The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass.” V.21 “The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of pure gold, like transparent glass.” – Don’t you know that Rick is having a ball.

Because he believed in that place, he did not let this place overpower him. He was not angered by the petty nor did he become confused by those whose motives were selfish. His eye was on a higher standard and his goal was beyond what he could gain from others.

This was found inside the front of Rick’s Bible: “Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Phil. 3:13-14

Today, I think Rick would be able to say the same thing that the Apostle Paul said to the young preacher Timothy in II Tim. 4:7 – “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day – and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.”

We have lost one of the greats. There is a deep void inside all of us. We are confused and there may be many “whys”. So many here have lost those that were very close, some in tragic circumstances, and yet Rick’s death has hit us especially hard. And we wonder why? Possibly it is because he was what we knew we ought to be and were not. And now he is gone and we are left.

Let us find comfort in the words from the book that guided Rick:

&Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. According to the Lord’s own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore, encourage each other with these words.” I Thess. 4:13-18

To the family and especially to Rick’s special friend, Lola, all of us here wish that we could say the words that would make the hurt go away. We have come here today from all over the United States, Canada, and even from England because of our deep respect for Rick, but also because no one could think of Rick without thinking of Lola. We extend to you our love and our hearts, along with all the hugs that we can get in, in order that you may know how we loved both you and Rick. There are a lot of people all over the world right now that are reaching out to you to offer comfort. I received many calls this past week with people saying, “Please give Lola a hug for me and tell her that we love her.”

Today, many are closing their businesses and setting aside this time as a memorial to you and Rick. Our sympathy surrounds you as our hearts are torn with yours. May God bless you.

Prayer.

--------------------
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg PA, USA

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You have to catch up with it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 642 | From: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep....said it perfectly Raymond.

I also was fortunate to be able to learn from him.
An
d you are so right about the phone. Haha

Thank you Rick....wherever you are.

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautifully said.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for taking the time to share

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Beverly   Email Robert Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke with Rick just two days before he died while attending Fred's meet. I had a question on new materials I had purchased and he was once again right there to help me in my enthusiastic quest.

Well here we are in 2013 as I have just returned from Freds and his name came up many times during our discussions as it will most likely continue to happen for a long time.

I have grown so much from knowing him and Lola and do want to acknowledge him and continue to honor his life. Raymond's task was not an easy one.

There was total amazement at the shear numbers of folks that showed at his funeral, a clear testimony of the impact this man had on those that loved him and the art of GOLD!...AND the love and respect that grew for Lola, another amazing person.

R.I.P.

-

-

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Posts: 1023 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bob for the reminder. That was a very special time as we gathered to show our respect for a dear friend.

Saturday, I conducted the funeral service for a cousin that was a large part of my life as I grew up here in our little town. This past summer I did the same thing for his wife of 52 years - the same day my brother died of cancer.

All of those events were sad times, but they were made a little lighter by the fact that I had taken the time to tell each of them what they meant to me while they were still alive.

"Flowers for the living" - it's a powerful force that makes standing by a coffin so much easier.

I had to miss being at Fred's this year because of the funeral for my cousin, but at some time Fred and I will leave this place. Whenever that comes, the separation will be a little easier because we have taken the time to convey our love for each other.

It's really hard to believe that it's been ten years. Lots has happened in that span of time, but our memories of Rick and Lola have not dimmed.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about Rick the other day and knowing he left us in early March, looked up his date of death and was surprised to find out a decade had passed. Time flies!

By all means, give flowers to the living. Also, continue picking for them a nice bouquet of your time. No man ever lay on his deathbed wishing he'd spent more time at the office.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was very fortunate to have attended the last meet Rick held. Everything Ray said is so true, Rick took the time to answer my question by taking almost an hour and never let anything interrupt.
He also cornered me at another meet to ask all about the clear coat I had discovered for gold leaf. We had to have spent over an hour discussing the subject.
Rick's passing was a great loss to all of us.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because Rick was so loving and so eager to share his knowledge, his legacy lives on more than ten years after he left us. I only spent a little time with him at the second to last Conclave and I too share the same sentiments I hear from so many others. It was a delight to see him in action.

On the day of his memorial I spent a part of the day doing a little gold work in his honor. That gold work still reminds me of him and the example he set each time I see it.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Boone and Rick Glawson were both very kind in helping me learn how to gild. Rick must have spoken with me at least an hour on the phone.

[ March 12, 2013, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne...he talked to everyone an hour..or more.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes he did, and back in the day when long distance was expensive. I'll tell my kids it's Rick's fault they have to pay for their own education [Smile]

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never met Rick, only heard a lot about him and Lola. Has any one kept in contact with her? Is she still alive?

Diane

[ March 13, 2013, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: DianeBalch ]

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
deleted for double post

[ March 13, 2013, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: DianeBalch ]

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

quote:
Originally posted by DianeBalch:
I never met Rick, only heard a lot about him and Lola. Has any one kept in contact with her? Is she still alive?

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com

Bob Gilliland
Visitor
Member # 28

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Gilliland   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Gilliland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, for us, Lola passed away back in 2008 (January 21st) [Frown] . I say sadly for us because she is in a much better place than anyone reading this post. Meet her only once, it was for a few short hours (should have been for an hour longer but I listed to Raymond on how to get there [Razz] ), but wow what a lasting impression. No wonder Rick turned out to be the individual he did! A very, very special lady she was.

--------------------
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg PA, USA

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You have to catch up with it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 642 | From: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Hey Yankee...the word is "listened" (or maybe that's how you Yankees talk..whatever).

Strange how stories get distorted with age.

Lola was a special lady and was the driving force behind a lot of guys that were saved off the street and the drug scene in the L.A. area.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!