Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » UUUUGH!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UUUUGH!!!!!
john randall
Visitor
Member # 2450

Icon 15 posted      Profile for john randall   Email john randall       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a little 3'x 5'sign on MDO with the same Vinyl I have used for years..only difference is I didn't want to pay $50 for a gallon of purple paint so I went to Walmart and got a quart of exterior semi gloss. Yesterday I thought all is well the vinyl stuck to the board no problems. I stuck it in the back of my truck last night and this morning it was slimy and you could literally wipe the vinyl off with the palm of your hand. ???? has anyone experienced this? I thought switching to latex to coat boards was going to be a smooth transition uuugh!!!

--------------------
john randall
signman
130 Magnolia Trail
Lumberton, TX

Posts: 163 | From: Lumberton, TX | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never use latex on a sign which will have vinyl applied.
(especially Wallyworld paint)
It can have silicone and such in it to help it be a better house paint but it is not a good choice for signs.
It's a hard lesson to learn, but wouldn't you have been better off spending the $50?
[Frown]
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walmart paint is made by Glidden. Behr got the highest rating from Consumer Reports.

I've had some serious issues with Sherwin-Williams paint fading badly after just a couple years.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been using latex paint and vinyl for 20 years with no problems...but, only 100% acrylic and high performance vinyl. Cheap is cheap.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing you should know, and I heard this from the paint dept manager at Walmart, who said:
To keep prices low, they don't get the best grade of paint. Glidden is good paint, but Walmart doesn't
buy the "good" grade of Glidden paint.

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true. Consumer Reports confirms that referring to Walmart's low price on paint as a false economy.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john randall
Visitor
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john randall   Email john randall       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you buy acrylic based latex paint I called my supplier in houston this morning and gold him my story and he doesnt carry or has ever heard of latex bulletin colors

--------------------
john randall
signman
130 Magnolia Trail
Lumberton, TX

Posts: 163 | From: Lumberton, TX | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john randall
Visitor
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john randall   Email john randall       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you buy acrylic based latex paint I called my supplier in houston this morning and gold him my story and he doesnt carry or has ever heard of latex bulletin colors

--------------------
john randall
signman
130 Magnolia Trail
Lumberton, TX

Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had good results with SW. SuperPaint and Resilliance. I prefer satin finish personally.
My vinyls have all stuck but as Ray stated use the high performance vinyl.

I do not think you are going to find to many waterbourne bullitin colors out there. Ronan has waterbased products that I have been impressed with but why not use the SW. for backgrounds?
Be mindfull that with deep colors you'll need to keep some deep gray tinted primers to help cover.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ronanpaints.com/graphic.htm

Ronan makes a nice line of water-based enamels, I've not used them as a sign background but they say you can on this page.
I love their Speednamel line.

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, I believe Raymond uses Porter AcriShield, as do I. I've never had a failure with it, although I don't use gloss much & vinyl doesn't stick well to the other sheens.
There's a learning curve to using acrylics but you generally don't have to worry about your paint failing in a few months like 1-shot.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Bob, I've been using SW's SuperPaint. Obviously you get more "sun" in Florida than I do, so I'm wondering what you're doing that would make the paint retain its colorfastness.

My workflow has been to put down a coat of primer and then 2 top coats of the SuperPaint straight from the can.

I did a carved sign for a client about 5 years ago. The background was painted a dark Hunter Green using SW's SuperPaint. Two years later, the dark green had turned into a pale seafoam green.

I never used to have any issues with SW except in the last 5 years.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW,

Kent Smith says to never use paint from any big box store. [I Don t Know]

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

[ February 22, 2013, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Joe Cieslowski ]

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john randall
Visitor
Member # 2450

I have used SW industrial enamel and it fades too quickly us it's very expensive

--------------------
john randall
signman
130 Magnolia Trail
Lumberton, TX

john randall
Visitor
Member # 2450

I'm just sticking with Ronan it lays like a sheet of glass. I just didnt use it this time b/c I needed a very specific color of purple and when I hand mix it it always turns out too blue violet.

--------------------
john randall
signman
130 Magnolia Trail
Lumberton, TX

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3' x 5' you woulda dun better if you bought a couple cans of KRYLON and painted it. latex paint is WATER BASED...how long does it take for water to evaporate??? a lot longer then an petroleum based reducer/vehicle for oil based paints.
using a water based paint in a high humidity area(florida coast)will always take longer to dry completely. heck, my floor in my shop will get completely wet sometimes......JUST FROM HUMIDITY in the air. being in florida since 1981, i dont do much with latex paint for these reasons. i prefer AUTOMOTIVE PAINT for any sign backgrounds. NEVER A FAILURE!!!! and it lasts like the paint on you vehicle)))) but then again, i cant spray on high humidity days, if i do the paint will haze. so i wait for bright sunshine days, spray the paint and let it bake a while in the sun....))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Automotive paint with hardners for signs here, also available in all bulletin color match just give them the numbers such as bright red 104 (Outdoor advertising standards)

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john randall
Visitor
Member # 2450

Do you spray or roll?

--------------------
john randall
signman
130 Magnolia Trail
Lumberton, TX

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
automotive paint for best finish.......needs to be sprayed.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spray HVLP gun, works great hardly any over spray. Must wear proper breathing apparatus such as air fed helmet, I love mine.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sherwin Williams DTM here. Never had a failure but I also let it dry thoroughly and only use HP cast vinyls.

Here's some Sherwin WIlliams DTM black on vertical grain redwood. The Gold is hp cast metallic vinyl applied to the black.
 -

[ February 26, 2013, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
I've seen so many signs where after time, the background on MDO signs peels but the vinyl lettering still looks okay. This happens in particular to the pre-finished white MDO you can buy.
Years ago I started buying MDO, unfinished and I cover it with vinyl, then letter as normal, The Vinyl outlasts the prefinish and the signs look good longer.
Since the unfinished surface is kinda like paper the vinyl adheres well. No dry time.
This works great until you need a background color that isn't on you vinyl color chart.
Hope this helps.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the edges of the MDO?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond..I always used "paintable" caulking on the edges, smoothed it with my finger. Then sprayed the surfaces and edges with automotive enamels.

As Joe says, if it stays good on vehicles it will stay good on sign backgrounds.

Spraying automotive paints, with or without "hardeners" isn't for the faint of heart, though, and should always be done with proper respiratoy protection.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seems like you guys are using the words "acrylic" and "latex" interchangeably?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

I'm not a Kent Smith by any stretch of the imagination but it seems that they are both the same thing - at least in a generic way. Acrylic is the resin in water based paint and the more acrylic that is used, the better the paint, and the higher the price. Not all "latex" paint uses 100% acrylic as a resin.

I can hear Kent snickering now over my explanation.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of the latex paints have had additives in them such as silicone, which makes them incompatible with vinyl application. I use Benjamin Moore Aura paints almost exclusively now with great success. If you are going to use latex with vinyl, just be sure there are no incompatible additives.

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

hummmmmm hows that work for automotive ACRYLIC ENAMEL????? or ACRYLIC LACQUERER???? acrylic car paint that can be used on a car including acrylic enamel, acrylic lacquer and acrylic urethane neither are water based.
then you have "fine art" ACRYLIC PAINT that is used in place of oil paint???
my understanding is: ARCYLIC IS A WATER BASED additive, that can also be used in solvent vehicles.
i know this because of my own experiments. i had some ACRYLIC ENAMLE CAR PAINT of a particular color. when i tryed to macth existing paint with it, it was not deep enough of the base color. the paint store was closed and the only pigment i had was some ACRYLIC PAINTS for doing paintings. so i took the cobalt blue(water based)windsor acrylic paint and added small quanities to the quart of blue i had and made the color deeper to match existing paint. the ACYCLIC PART of paint is what comes outa the color mix tubes.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it is available everywhere (I am in FL), but I swear by Coronado RustScat Acrylic Latex Enamel (semi-gloss as I hate gloss paint). It dries hard and not sticky. Vinyl will not come off. You do need to allow proper drying time.

Sherwin-Williams has their own version of acrylic latex enamel but it didn't seem to work the same. SW SuperPaint and Resilience have failed for me. They stay sticky and like Glenn, I have had problems with fast fading. It is also very rubbery and tends to bow boards when curing.

[ March 01, 2013, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Amy Brown ]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

OP asks some good questions, but I don't know the answers to them. I'll have to bow out to Kent. My response was just to the acrylic paints that I use - I don't have any experience with the automotive paints.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There aren't many things I'd buy at WalMart. Their paint would be the last thing on my list.

If you do a a fair amount of painting, Mathews sometimes will foot the bill of getting a paint station in your shop(owned by PPG so it's very similar to their automotive paint) You just have to buy the paint. You can use it as single stage paint by adding their catalyst, or spray direct and clear coat. They have brushing and rolling additives, and with 16 basic colors you can make a LOT of colors. Their paint chip book looks like a PMS color chart.... it's big.

When it comes to latex, I mainly use Porter AgriShield.

[ March 01, 2013, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

automotive paints have been doing that for many years. in fact when i worked at NAPA, i setup a few body shops with a "consignment" paint mixing station. in the really old day it was mostly lacquer paint then it went to ACRYLIC ENAMEL AND NOW ITS ACRYLIC URETHANE. the paint manufacture provides the mixing colors, and you pay for the paint as you replace the mixing colors.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!