Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need Your Opinions on Design (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Need Your Opinions on Design
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another apartment job...thought I would challenge myself again and incorporate a landscape painting for the second time ever...here are 2 separate but similar landscapes from my imagination...each landscape has 2 versions...I plan on using cutout hdu letters...raised hdu borders...mdo board for the landscapes...and using smart board for the 2 versions using a paneled background.

Wondering if you guys have a preference of the 4 and if you have any suggestions or prefences on materials that may differ from what I have described...thanks

You may have to increase picture size a little as I wanted all 4 to be seen together.

-
 -

[ February 06, 2013, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. 1....Hands down!

P.S.----You are welcome !

[ February 06, 2013, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rusty,I Like #1 with the sunset/sunrise scene) altough I would move the Creekstone lettering down a bit so they are totally surrounded by the black (will read & pop better)... # 4, for the day light landscape.

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sign with the small picture. Easier for the customer to maintain. You might not be the next sign guy called to refurbish it, and he might convince them to scrap the whole thing for a white background with dark red letters on top of a black shadow! [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Pat said.

They all look great!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty I am partial to the Cooler day palette myself. I do like #3 but lower the text so we do not have a visual conflict with the painting...These are Stunning. What medium will you employ for the pictorial?

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 14 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#1 and maybe trim the foliage a little. [Wink]

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are so nice I wouldn't mind hanging them up in my living room. [Big Grin] I vote for #1 and agree with moving the text down to eliminate some of the blank space between the icons.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like all of them, but the bottom two most. I'm a big fan of negative space, but the space underneath the lettering is forced by the equal housing icons. I wonder what it would look like to make the bottom border thick enough to allow those icons there. Then you could drop the copy down a few inches and still have plenty of negative space to force the eyes to the copy.

I can see it in my head. But, does my explanation make sense?

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful and unique designs, Rusty. I ditto Pat's comments.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks...I do appreciate the suggestions...when I get some time tommorrow I'll work on them...if something works well I'll post it...I am aware that there is some visual conflict created by the overlapping of elements...especially on #3...but not as much on #1...I raised the lettering as much as I could on purpose for fear that I was creating a composition too top heavy and out of balance...also I was hoping that the shadows created by the dimensioanl letters would compensate somewhat for the overlapping problem and also thought I could tweek the shading as needed behind the letters in the painting process to help...I'm encouraged to try dropping the letters now that several have suggested it...thanks

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, number 1 is my favorite. It is so realistic. Your pictorial tells me you should do much more, it is truly beautiful.
The whole effect looks like if you change anything, you will spoil it.
The customer will be very lucky to get such quality work.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, after some thought # 4 is proving to be my favorite. It is cleaner and the Painting looks like it belongs as a part of the composition rather than a background. Also when any maintanance needs to be done you might be glad that the pictorial could be removed and worked on seperately rather than having all of your eggs in one basket. It just looks more like a sign...A fantastically executed sign.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty,

Stick to No. 1 !!.......You are on the right track.

Do not compromise the quality of your beautiful work by thinking that, in the future, the sign will need "maintenance" and you need to plan, now, for when it happens......because you are certain, that the customer is going to call you, then, to provide the maintenance for the sign that you made 10 years before........Yeah, right !.....Listen to the voices, Rusty.

If it happens, that the sign, eventually, will need maintenance.....you will, probably, be too old, by then, to carry out the task.......Be realistic, brother.......Listen to the voices !

[ February 07, 2013, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rusty, your work is outstanding ! my choice is #2, but i would suggest leaving the main bkdg panel plain (not ribbed) and of the darkest value as in #3.

[ February 07, 2013, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Vance Galliher ]

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer #2 & #4 for an entrance sign. When the pictorial is in it's own frame and the copy is separate it somehow makes more sense as a sign to me. Do those two symbols have to command so much space? They seem to throw the layout off so much. Could they be mounted on one of the columns stacked as if a couple of plaques?

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Joy...you make very good points...interestingly I designed the smaller framed pictorial signs #2 and #4 first...only later as an afterthought did I have the idea about making the pictorials encompass the whole background and superimposing dimensional letters on top...if I could pull it off...I feel #1 would have the most dramatic effect...however both of the big pictorials are risky and would be hard for me to do...the smaller pictorials are safer yet still work well...but I want to remain open and listen to the ideas and suggestions of others here in Letterville whose opinions I hold in high regard...my real preference might not be the most practical...and who knows...the client might not want to go the extra mile and pay for something with this kind of flair anyway...this all could be a moot point.

As far as the symbols...again you make a good point...I tried the very thing you suggested once before but the people in charge of that project were afraid it would not meet the code requirements because they were not directly on the sign itself...but seems to me like it would be a part of the sign anyway...that is something I might suggest to these new guys and see how it flies.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I put the handicap/equal icons on the posts of a fairly large freestanding bank sign here in Huntsville. TN and AL will be different rules, but just as likely the same.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Ricardo...so that's what I'm hearing...and all along I thought it was the battery going out in my hearing aid...just joking Ricardo...I know exactly what you mean and thanks for the vote of confidence.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Rusty,

I worked close to your home town, ( in Tenn. ) for two years, and did and re-did a lot of real estate and entrance signs, for apartment complexes ( for another sign shop ) in that area.....I remember "the topic" on The Handicapped and Equal Housing Opportunity logos, coming up on several occasions, and I think that you are correct in saying that you are required to have those two logos on the face of this type of sign, to be able to meet the code requirements......Better to be safe than sorry.

P.S. - Just to be on the safe side, make sure you charge the batteries of your hearing aid, SO YOU CAN HEAR THE VOICES....can you hear me, now?.

[ February 07, 2013, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Here is #1 with the lettering dropped...the original is on the left...at first glance it is hard to tell there is much difference...which is good...but notice the location of the top of the "k" and the narrowing of the black negative space under "Creekstone" in the revised version...so whatcha think sign people...door #1 or door #2.
 -

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

[ February 08, 2013, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Bob...I hear what you and Joy are saying and #4 is coming in a close second with me...you guys make valid points...it does seem however that most people prefer #1...it's my favorite as well...I think it's the colors...however I'm still pondering the pros and cons...something like this I never give the customer an option...I only show the one I want to make.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Rusty,

I still like No.1, because if you bring the name of the complex down ( No. 2 ), you are bringing it too close to the logos of Handicapped and Equal Housing Opportunity...and making the sign look, kinda, heavy on the bottom.....On the other hand, by leaving the name of the complex where it was.. ( No. 1 ), you are creating more negative space around it ( including, also, the top area of the name ), thus making it more pleasant to read.....I think.

Now, to more important matters......I hope you do realize and, also, appreciate the effort and years of practice that I have put into my accent ( over 75 years, now ) to sound like this ( I still can't figure out how you know I have an accent....unless you were just born prejudiced and no one has ever told you, yet. ).....

Anyway,that accent, like you choose to call it, in such a condescending manner, has taken me to many places that you, without an accent, can only dream about visiting....and I don't mean countries. That is why I love my accent, so much.

Good luck with your sign project, Rusty....Don't ever stop listening to the voices......You know we love you in Oklahoma.

[ February 07, 2013, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Oh Ricardo...what I failed to mention was that many people find accents quite sexy. [Wink] ...and yes you probably have visited places I have only dreamed of thanks to your alluring accent...wait...I think I'm hearing the voices again.

[ February 07, 2013, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Check, please.....Good night !

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like #2 but that black area on the bottom is still a bit "empty" looking. Could you add some small text like "Apartments" to take up the space?

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1265 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

A couple of more versions inspired from suggestions by Don and Jean.

-

[ February 08, 2013, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been following this thread and I like the version you have here. I would go with the Appartments on a raised panel which would give you some balance with the raised lettering.

Did you say if the letters will be gilded? or painted?

You also mentioned about a shadow effect from the raised letters.......there won't be any visible shadows on a black/dark background. FWIW.....when I sell a sign with a black background, I tell the customer the shadow is free. [Wink]

Love all your work!

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Those 2 versions look even better. I like them both equally.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty,

I'm always enthralled by your designs. I like the handicap and equal housing symbols in the border. The only suggestion I'd have for your latest designs is to center "APARTMENTS" in that bottom border. To me, it's too high.

I've done many apartment signs over the years and have done something similar to your bottom design a number of times--make the top two thirds or so with recessed background and raised copy and the bottom section a wide border with raised background and recessed copy.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

[ February 08, 2013, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

I can't tell you how helpful the input from you guys has been...I think I got so involved in painting landscapes that I lost something in the process about sign design...the fresh perspective of new eyes brought to my attention basic things that I was looking right past...I needed fresh input to help me see my mistakes...thanks to everyone' help I'm leaving with something better than I initially brought...of the last 2 versions...of which I feel really good about...my personal favorite would be the top one...and yes David..."Apartments" got way too high in the process...that was just a slip and not intentional but thanks for noticing...it would not have built that way...you guys are the best...with the talented resources here in Letterville...you bet "I'll be back" for more help in the future...thanks again to everyone.

[ February 08, 2013, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Rusty you've found the best of both views. Well done.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, I knew anything you ended up with would be awesome! I admire your work so much that I was hesitant to comment on it at all. Those both look great.

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Number 1 of your latest versions is fantastic. I'm a big fan of your work, Rusty.

I struggle with colour. Your work with colour always gives me a feeling of calm and serenity.

Thank you for sharing your designs with us.

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Rusty,

You have done it, again!...You out-did yourself !

Tremendous suggestion by Jean, on adding the word "APARTMENTS" !.....and, also great suggestion by Don Coplen, on placing the logos of Handicapped and Equal Opportunity, on the bottom, outside of your painting.....Fantastic !

I like the word "APARTMENTS" ON the raised panel....Looks great !

P.S.---- See what happens when you listen to the voices ?

[ February 09, 2013, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!