Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » price check on vehicle lettering

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: price check on vehicle lettering
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit that I do a fair amount of pickup trucks, vans and dump truck lettering each year. Pricing the jobs has always been based on how many bells and whistles that I've done on the designs. Truck doors are easier to figure out, even with lots of outlines, shadows, graphics, etc.

I am curious as to how do you price a full-size panel van which covers a lot more area. I've done some simple two-color lettering, no artwork, on both sides and rear doors for around $650. I just finished two full-size vans last week with ALL the bells and whistles for $1400. each. These vans were all vinyl lettering, digital print vinyl for graphics/photos and went pretty quick considering how much I had to put on them. I am looking at the new 2013 price guide and wondering if I need to have a price increase. Some jobs I am under-priced and others I'm over! I'd like to hear if you have the same problems adjusting your prices each year. I also decided a long time ago not to let the competiton affect my pricing. I do quality work and don't want to get into a pricing war which has worked so far.

This year has started off more promising than the past 2 years. I am also expanding into more 3D work which is another head scratcher to price.

I sense their is no easy answer to these questions! I hope everyone has picked up business for January and are preparing for a busy Spring.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Steve

I think each area has a different market range. For Oregon, this is what I price. I am still using an older price book but pricing what the market will bear.

For two color letters, shaded outlined on full size van between $650-$850. For the full job with logo it would be about $1200-$1400.

For 3D work let me know if I can help you there, that is what I do predominantly.

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pricing vehicles have many variables.
1. calendered or hp.
2. new vehicle or used.
3. type of work the vehicle is used for.(tree service trucks, are usually used vehicles, and get abused so calendered vinyl hold up better for them. same with rock or coal hauling trucks. dirt, sand gravel dont get the heavy abuse.
4.how often do they replace the vehicle.
5.how much artwork do you have in the design? dosent matter if its only a door or the side of the van.......YOU STILL HAVE TIME INTO DESIGN.
2 DOORS.......
single color no artwork
$50-$150
van 3 sides plain lettering single color calendared vinyl
$250-$450
hp vinyl 3 sides $300-$550
artwork 3 sides
$500-$1000
box trucks.....start at $750.....$2000

[ January 29, 2013, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm in the ballpark on pricing.

Jeff, I could use some help with pricing the 3D work if you get a chance to email me at www.signmagic@sbcglobal.net. Thanks!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pricing in this region is all over the place. I gave up on worrying about what others charge. I know what I have to have to stay in business and I start from there.

I've been using EstiMate software for several years. Its been a big help to me in that it helps me to make sure I don't undercharge and lose money.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn, I have Estimate software and haven't found it to be that helpful. Using sliders for complexity can put the price all over the place. Maybe I need further training on it.

Steve, I've been using the SignCraft pricing guide for several categories. Once I picked my shop rate I started timing jobs, plugging in my hourly rate, added materials and my profit, and the sign guide was always right on the money. So I feel I can trust what the guide says.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with OP, except for one item. It always took me the same amount of time to letter a used truck, as it did a new one.

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand,,if you are not sure,,and it's a new customer. You could ask, with a smile, "Gee, that's nice, what do you usually pay for your van/truck/vehicle lettering?" If it sounds high, smile on the inside. If it sound really low, he's lying.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, to me the biggest problem with EstiMate is that it is so easy that we tend to over think it. I've certainly been guilty of it.

What I've done is create a line item under "Substrates" that reads "Customer's Vehicle". I've put the cost at 50¢ per square foot. This is to help defray the cost of cleaning the surface.

The only two sliders that I ever move are the "General Difficulty Level" and the "Market Level".

As long as I am reasonably realistic about my time and I have the Market Level providing me with a 40% margin, Estimate will generate a fairly accurate and consistent quote for me.

The other thing that I do is leave notes under the "Production Notes" tab about the project. I do the same with written notes on the "Workorder" sheet that EstiMate will generate which I keep filed with the invoice for future reference.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been referring to the SignCraft pricing guide for several years now and just wanted to see if it was staying accurate with everyone else's prices.

So far I haven't given my work away! It is good to check prices now since we are into the new year and things start picking up each month as it gets warmer.

Leaving prices the same as last year or the year before that is not a good idea. Everything costs more and I don't want to work for less! I'm going to check the pricing guide more often and probably will ask for a "price check" here in Letterville several times this year.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!