Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Can paint go bad from cold temps?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can paint go bad from cold temps?
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always had a heated garage at my shop so this has never been a problem. I had some quarts of Porter paint from last year that I took home to paint the kid's wooden swing set/playground and didn't use it all. I left it in my garage at home which isn't heated. We've had some cold weather this past week and it got down in the teens the last few nights. I don't know if it froze or not but wondered if acrylic latex is damaged from cold temps.

I have some bright colors that I want to use again, but haven't looked to see what condition they are in. (forgot to pack them in the van this morning). Just thought I'd ask to see if I need to go buy new paint or not. [I Don t Know]

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Latex paint can survive freezing, but it is not recommended and I wouldn't use it on anything I
was getting paid for. Save it for the swing set.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, I don't know the chemical reasons but I know that paint that's been frozen is always sold off at a greatly reduced price.
Here in Canada paint is always delivered to the stores in heated trailers from November to April.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always bring my latex paints inside the heated office building before the first freeze and keep it in here all winter. To me, it's not worth taking a chance on painting a customer's sign with latex which has been frozen.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes accidentally leave the gallon of white exterior latex in the truck when it is cold. I try to always bring it in to prevent freezing, as it turns very funky. Down to about 20 degrees, it crystalizes. I have taken an almost full gallon that got nipped and set it under the drill press with a stir bit for a half hour and revived it almost as good as new. Some small lumps, but certainly workable. Since my work is not permanent and only stays up for a season or two, it is not an issue, but for the best permanence, I would not use it.

Have heard that adding several ounces of alcohol to it helps hold off the freezing, but it is easier to just bring it in at night. Below 20 degrees, it turns horribly bad and is not reusable. Bottom line is keep latex above freezing. Oil based paints can take it.

I have often wondered about adding some limited amount of auto antifreeze to latex to see if that would not only help it survive freezing, but to also add some wetter quality to it for rolling and to add some 'easier to remove' when the window splash needs to come off. Guess I should try a small sample?

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These quart cans that I had left over of Porter paint were less than half full so they probably took a hit in the cold garage. I will take a look at them tonight and see. I had a feeling that it wasn't good for it, but wanted to get some advice from you all. I have a project for some inside sign work that I was going to use this paint on. It will be better to start with fresh paint and not have to worry if it will start to peel off!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Mann
Visitor
Member # 7161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Mann   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh, bring it in. My paints would turn into thick cottage cheese if left out. Useless after that

--------------------
Kevin Mann
SignMann
Sacramento, Ca

Posts: 80 | From: sacramento california | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Mann
Visitor
Member # 7161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Mann   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh, bring it in. My paints would turn into thick cottage cheese if left out. Useless after that

--------------------
Kevin Mann
SignMann
Sacramento, Ca

Posts: 80 | From: sacramento california | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve,

I found this on a trusted site....cause everything is true on the Internet:

"Because latex paint is water-based, it will freeze at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. If the paint does freeze, allow it to thaw and stir. If the paint comes together and smells like paint, it's okay to use. If the paint clumps together and smells rotten, the paint should be disposed of properly."

Back to me, when I had a partial 5 gal pail of Dryvit acrylic texture (stucco) freeze, the supplier said to dispose of it, not to even use it for sample pieces. Dryvit is like latex paint with sand in it.

I would send it to the SLO-MO guys, cause they seem to like blowing paint up and filming it in slow motion. [Smile]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm redoing my shop and left all my paints outside under tarps...they were exposed to some freezing temps before I could get them in so I asked the same question of my Sherwin Williams guy last week...his answer was the same as what Dave said above...if it smells like rotten eggs it's a throw away...otherwise stir it up and slap it on...it was alot of good paint...inspite of the Sherwin Williams advice I still feel a little reluctant to use it.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preston, I'm not an chemist, but I'd be careful about the anti freeze. Professional timbersports guys apply it to the part of the wood handle that's inside their axe heads. It swells the wood, like water does, but is better, because...

it never dries.

That's what they told me anyway. Spilled some on my truck the other day, seemed to verify what I was told.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave is right.

I painted houses for several years when I was a pup.

When latex paint freezes it curdles and smells like rotten eggs.

Open the cans. If it smells like paint, it did not freeze. If it did freeze when ya git done tossin yer cookies, you need to toss that can o paint too.

I have used several cans of paint that have been exposed to freezing temps, but did not freeze. Same life as new paint.

Once it freezes enough to smell bad you can add floetrol, and stir until it looks like paint again, and it will apply same as always, but come summer, it will blister and peel.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a good chance it didn't freeze. I've had standing water in my garage not freeze over nite when the temp dipped into the low 20's. The slab can retain enough heat if it hasn't been below freezing continuously for several days. Even then, it probably did not freeze solid. One paint chemist told me most quality latex paints will tolerate from one to two freeze / thaw cycles. Use the smell test. Me? I would use it for household projects or sign samples for your shop.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You aren't going to believe this but none of the paint is bad! I guess they didn't freeze like I thought. They were all in a cardboard box together and against a wall on the floor. I was planning on using these colors for some indoor sign projects and some sample for the showroom anyway.

Good testimony for Porter paints and Sherwin Williams! I had 16 quarts that were at least half full so that may have helped.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think in cold weather my water based blood turns into cottage cheese. I move like a turtle when it's cold. Even my brain funtions more slowly.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!