Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » A stupid question ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A stupid question ?
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Grand Openin Sale" - 6 foot tall letters, Stood back to look at it and added an exclamation point, since I had an extra window. Duh. "Hey, painter. Where is the letter G?"

"For Infomation call XXX-XXXX"
Client: "Should I call the Pol-eece?"

"Lowest Prices Garanteed" 36" tall letters

"Double Copons!" 24" tall.

What are your worst mis-spellings?

[ January 08, 2013, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Preston McCall ]

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worst I ever did.

6 ft X 12 ft double back lighted for a Ford dealer
Not only did I miss spell commercial
But painted it all backwards on the inside... ouch ...cost me another $800 to redo

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Craig,

I imagine that screw up was for Mr. Ohri.....Right?

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall, when he found out.

Ha !

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Fellowship of Christian Atheletes" Sandblasted mirror with handcut letters... didn't notice the extra "e" until finished, so I did the project again:

"Fellowship of Christan Athletes" made sure I spelled "Athletes" correct.... ooops forgot the "I" in christian... did the project again, this time I was extra careful to handcut and correctly spell those words...

"Fellowhip of Christian Athletes" ---I give up 3 days of handcutting stencils with an exact knife and carbon copy transfer onto vinyl mask, plus the time to sandblast each one [Bash]

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a 48" diameter easel display for a banquet honoring FSU Athletes who had made the grade academically.
We applied vinyl letters one by one on an arc.Got a few letters out of sinc.
We misspelled "ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE"

[ January 08, 2013, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Bob Sauls ]

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8 - 24"x48" mdo signs for a repair shop.

No Pubic Parking, violators will be...

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4 x 8 metal sign for a DAV post. painted it and had to letter out
DISABLED
AMERICAN
VETERANS
just like that on one side and the logo to the right of it. got the sign done, guy put it up on the side of the building facing a busy street. cool.
3 YEARS LATER.......the local news did a piece on DAV............one of the cameramen spotted it, and told the guy who i painted the sign for...
i had mis spelled VETERAN(and i is one).......i put VETRAN on the sign))))))

[ January 09, 2013, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Timmerman
Resident

Member # 2503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Timmerman   Email Bob Timmerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One side of the sign.....Open to the Public.....
the other.....Open to the Pubic. It was out about
a week before anyone caught it

--------------------
Bob Timmerman
Sunshine Sign Co.
Dryden, NY

Posts: 70 | From: Dryden, New York | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
designed a t-shirt for a local school- their theme was "international" so we used a world map illustration, and then went in and labeled the continents, oceans, etc.

Not only did I misspell "arctic Ocean" as "ARTIC" ocean, but went on to misspell "Antarctica" as "ANTARTICA" as well... 300+ t-shirts and sweatshirts... the bad thing is, they didn't catch the first misspelling for a couple of days, and the second one a few days after that...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

btw- we had to reprint the job...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made 50 Double Sided "Reality" Signs..

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was just an alternate reality...

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch Michael. Three times on the same sign has to be some kind of record. (The kind you don't want)

I had to carve copy and graphics onto oak whiskey barrel tops for a big barbeque contest. They were to be used as trophies for first and second place, first place being "Grand Champion" and runner up being "Reserve Grand Champion" Second place ended up being carved Resrve Grand Champion, and was discovered just a few hours before they were due to be delivered. Luckily they had given me 6 barrel tops in case there were problems but I had to make a new file and get a new one carved and torched, and clear coated. Just made it.

[ January 09, 2013, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spent the night locked in a shopping mall painting a barricade for a store that was going to open. Worked from 10:00pm to about 3:00am without a break. Only then did I realize that I'd painted SPROTS in 48" letters on the wall instead of SPORTS.

Laid it out on the computer, drew it out, traced it on the pounce machine, taped it to the wall, pounced it, stood back and looked at it one last time to make sure it was centered, and painted it without ever catching the misspelling.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The van was leaving my shop, stopped him at the roll up door. Asked him to leave it overnight and I would put HIS phone number on the side in place of my own...... duh

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, maybe it's time to invent or adapt spell-check to
exacto knives, lettering brushes, pens and pencils. Peace, Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a 3' x 16' 3/4 MDO sign for a local restaurant
It had to go on the outside of a second floor deck which happened to be 30' over the rocks and water because the building was on the waterfront of the harbor. I had to have a couple of helpers sling it over the edge and hold it while I attached it to the wall. I had to hang out over the edge in a harness while swinging over the water. Got it all attached, finished the job and a couple of days later got a call from the owner saying that a customer who came in on the ferry from Victoria, BC told him it was misspelled. I had spelled it like this: RESTAURAUNT. Had to go over the side in a harness again, remove it and repaint it then go back over the side in a harness and re-install. Total loss of profit. Real scary hanging 30' feet over the rocks and water...Yikes! Now I triple check my spelling.

Yikes again!

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1n 1980, did a 40' x 4' board sign that was in terrible condition. Had to take it down with ladders! Then after major sanding, filling and repainting to read Brown Hardware, we went back up there on rented ladders to install it with lag bolts, up 35 feet in the air. Two days later, learned it was Browne Hardware with an E. Duh. It pays to not have partners.

Did 15 windows with 4x7 neon edge strips for a liquor store, all the way around the windows. simple deal, really. Turned it on and the lady said she wanted pink, not yellow. Duh....had the yellow ones for years, trying to sell them to someone else with no luck. Yellow is close to pink? It still paid to not have a partner.

Did a bank with 4.9% home loans, but on the wrong windows. It was on the windows of the next door neighbor, who was a stock broker. The guy was seriously upset when he came in on Monday morning. Did it on a Sunday when no one was there....Seriously upset his ticker tape.

You know, sometimes it just does not pay to get up in the morning.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a lot of amusing ones along the way(well not so amusing when it was painted, lot harder to fix than vinyl), but the worst was a street banner we did. It was for the local Literacy Volunteers who had a scrabble tournament fundraiser. The design was done with scrabble tiles spelling out the main copy. The "tiles" were printed on an Edge. I don't remember the exact misspelling, but a couple of the letters got reversed. No one noticed till it was up. We had it fixed before the end of the day, but not before it made the news and was the "Misspelling of the Year" a week later in the annual "Best of The Year" edition of the local magazine, complete with photo.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

I didn't do it- but when I was in college, a town hired a sign guy from out of town to come in paint the town name on the water tower- for a couple of days the tower read: O-H-A-M-A ... instead of Omaha
We got a big laugh out of it, and I'm glad it wasn't me!

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big corrugated dark blue metal building, 20 feet up in the air, hot summer day in the sun, double coated white letters. I left out a letter in the middle of Fort Bragg Marine. I don't remember which letter any more. I do remember the hours rubbing out those letters with boiled oil getting the new building clean without any tale of my mistake showing.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Down in Newport Beach, on Coast Hwy, in a busy area back in around 70-72 time frame, there was a massage parlor with a big front wall to letter. These places didn't have a reputation for being on the up and up either then. One of the tag lines said "Greeceian Body Wrap." When questioned about the spelling, Bennie asked "How do you spell Greece?" Needless to say, we fixed that wall.

Someday I'll tell the rest of that story

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had several that were never noticed.
"Kitchnette" on a billboard
"Non-Alcholic" on a refrigerated case sign, this one has been there for 10 years.
and more...

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 2ft x 20 ft plastic face cost me a lot years ago. The sign was in the air ready to install.Guy gets out of his car and said..."you spelled it wrong" I was giving this restaurant more than they were paying for.

CLEMMONS VILLIAGE RESTAURANT

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Douglas Hancock
Visitor
Member # 29758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Douglas Hancock   Email Douglas Hancock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay here is my best screwup. Customer supplied vinyl wall graphic for Allstate. I installed the hands upside down so it looked like they were pushing you away. I left the after hours job feeling good. Client called a day or two later and said I had messed up. The client even had a hard time telling what was wrong....I offered to buy or make another graphic and inatll it. He told me not to got another from AllstateHad to do it again.

--------------------
Douglas Hancock
Sign Pro of North Florida, Inc,
P.O. Box 1315
Alachua, Fl 32616
352-359-7059

Posts: 17 | From: Alachua, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!