Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Heavy Banner with Latex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heavy Banner with Latex?
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am giving a bid for a heavy duty vinyl banner that will be stretched to the side of an excursion boat's railings. Tough Florida sun. The client wants the banner to match the color of a sail on his other vessel. I have had excellent luck with Ronan's Vinyl Coat on differing surfaces. I was wondering if any of you have used it in harsh outdoor applications as a prep coat under a good latex paint?

Let me add that this is for long-term exposure. It will stay on until it wears out or fades away. trying to determine if this is a good idea?

[ January 06, 2013, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Bob Sauls ]

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Chevy store that had a 100' long canopy that was arched down 90 degrees like quarter round shaped moulding. It had the name of the dealership on it, but was beginning to fade, especially on the sun baked top (blue vinyl). They were trying to sell the store and just wanted something to make it look fresh. Two coats of then the best Sherwin Williams metal latex, rolled on and in a few spots I had to relace the separated seams (sew it seams). Took six hours and three or four gallons of metal latex. It looked new from the front street and even up close, standing underneath, it was opaque, but even. In a year, the store sold and in another year was moved into a all new facility five miles further down the road. Ok. Vacant for a couple of years. Someone removed the canopy and set it out back in the pen. A Finance Lot moved in and they successfuly ran a Buy Here Pay Here operation for another three years, before the guy calls me up to come inspect the canopy to reinstall it back on the building. It was sitting on the ground and in water at various times. I expected the worse. I showed up and other than some rusting of some of the hardware, the metal frame was aluminum and still fine. The vinyl canopy was still blue and the paint had done a great job of preserving the then very old seams. I was amazed. They pulled it out and set it up in pieces on saw horses inside the shop. Power washed it and gave it another couple of coats of metal latex. Heavy as hell, but serviceable. It was up another couple of years before a big blow came through and ripped it to shreds. The blue still looked great!

I guess the moral of the story is never underestimate the power of latex!

[ January 06, 2013, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Preston McCall ]

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enamel paint would be the just about worst paint you could use.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, acrylic paints just seem to work on vinyl banners, even without a primer.

Make sure it's prepped good. I wipe it down with Rapid Prep, and then go over it writh a red scuff pad. That gives it a little 'tooth'.

Couple years ago, a customer of mine wanted a 30 foot vinyl banner to wrap around part of her state fair booth......bright yellow background. They were in a hurry, so I didn't have time to have one made. Bought a can of acrylic enamel off the shelf, of yellow, from the local hardware. Rolled it on, and it worked fine. No primer. One caution, let the paint dry for a couple days (good and dry) or bake it in the sun. Seems the stuff doesn't want to really stick tight til then.

After the fair, her husband took the banner down, rolled it up rather tightly, and stuck it away, in the attic, above their store.They didn't go back to the fair, the next year, but the 2nd year. She called me, really mad, told me to come get it........it had to be ruined.

We picked it up, brought it back to the shop, and unrolled it out in the side yard,where the sun could soften up some of the wrinkles. There was no damage whatsoever...except some cobwebs and assorted bug carcasses. Made a beleiver out of me!!!!!!!!

[ January 07, 2013, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!