Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » I don't like AquaSize

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't like AquaSize
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's it, that's it! I don't like AquaSize,that water based leaf size. Not only does it ruin my brushes, it leaves holidays, because it's clear, you can't see what you're doing. I don't like the brush strokes it leaves. You have to use special tape for straight lines or else it will bleed through. And,, as you go along, you have to remove the tape before it dries or it will come off with the tape. Ohhhhh, I got better things to do than try to work with that "Elmer's Glue By-Product" I have about 10 or 12 cans of perfectly good Rolco size, I will stick to using that. And that's that!

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem 1 Ruin brushes.
Solution:a glass of water and a linen cloth. Rins often, if beyond resque; try hot water and liqiud dishwasher. It will do it [Cool]
Problem 2 cant see where i work, its clear/transperant.
sol: My watersize(lucas) is milky for 5 minutes, work in good light and be quick [Cool]
Problem 3 brush strokes.
sol: be quick [Cool]
Problem 4 bleed problem
sol one: freehand
sol two: use a better masking/press masking along edges
sol three: paint one layer of backround color in mask, itll bleed out flaws in masking
problem 5
Glue/gold coming off with mask!
Thats possible 2 differnet problems!
A glue coming off
sol: go easy, dont buildup to thick along mask edges.
2 gold coming off
sol: gold isnt pressed properly against the "glue"(size). It sticks to the glue on the mask, but not where it scchould stick.
Sol 1 obvious one; press properly! finger or maybe a roll?
sol 2 remove mask after sizing but BEFORE gilding!
[Cool] [Group Hug]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oil and water is art, acrylic is to keep up with the "plastic gang" [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Acryl size is good, because:
Usually you make it one layer!(saves work hours AND gold)
Shines better, no drowning! Easy AND beutiful!
Size them then almost immidiately do gildwork, no more waiting for the size to set, saves hours, (allow you too to a bit more normal hours) [Cool]
Brush rins easily [Wink]
Keep charging for 2 layers [Wink]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've actually had pretty good luck with the aquasize. You must scuff the area,(masked or otherwise) before sizing because of the fisheye problem. Best results for me are using a 1" foam brush. Far less brush strokes. I feel your pain, but when you're in a pinch for time and it will be cleared after aquasize works great. Jer/Artworx

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What it is, is, the other day I did a truck using regular Rolco size, 1/4 in. composition gold leaf stripe. Taped it off with 3M green fine line etc, cleared with brushed on Imron. Next day, Aluminuin leaf on a log truck. Taped it off with 3m green fine line, paint mask for lettering on doors. Filled it in with the Aquasize,,,,door had fisheye, more brushing involved to fix that problem. Then I brushed in the stripe, before it dryed, pulled off the tape, very much bleeding throughout. At that point before it completely dryed, I whiped it off. Lettering on the door had holidays, thanks goodness for the pinlines to clean those parts up. As for the body stripe, I re-taped and used Rolco with great success, spun then brushed cleared with Imron. Plus,,,removing old leaf that has Aquasize as the adhesive is harder to do. It doesn't disolve with EZ-Off over cleaner or reducer that easy. So it makes me wonder, "Why should I even use it?" Ah yes, maybe there are some occasions where it would be the right choice for the job, but for what I'm doing, it kinda makes a bad fit. I thought of trying to tint it, so I could see where it's NOT.
But why? And my poor little brushes, yikes! Maybe I should buy synthetic brushes for Aquasize. Or maybe use beaver hair brushes, beavers like that water anyways.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Here's the log truck I just did,,,,
 -

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this was going to be a physical fitness post...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxcrmcrGQ80

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Oh, I mean "WundaSize. Or is it "WongoSize"

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best results I have had with Gold Leaf is with the Rolco Slow Size. I know there is not always time to wait, but all the quick size I have tried lately dries too quick and doesn't hold a good tack very long.

I have heard a lot of good comments on Luco size ... I need to get some and try it...

I just saw a beautiful Gold Leaf job Don King did on a boat, posted on Facebook. I'm thinking it would be worth a call to ask what he is using.....

[ December 10, 2012, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Jim Moser ]

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, you might try Rapid Prep to clean panel first, this will get rid of the "fisheye problem".

Just a thought.
Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Oh, thanks Roger. Forgot about using the Rapid Prep, next time.
Jim, yep, Don is my southern neighbor. When I see his work, it reminds me that I got to keep on practing. That guy is very talented.
He's down south, John Hanniukaine is west and up north I got Mike Lavelle. They all keep the bar up real high in these parts.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm "confused." Did Alicia actually say she "whipped it off"..... [Frown]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Sorry, that my East LA accent. I meant to say "Wiped it off"

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew what you meant Alicia. You know my warped sence of humour. [Smile]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!