Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Traditional hand painted?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Traditional hand painted?
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent Bruce B. this picture and he saw the same issues I did.
Anything odd to you?
 -

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Mann
Visitor
Member # 7161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Mann   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to be cutting in reverse. Laying down the white first

--------------------
Kevin Mann
SignMann
Sacramento, Ca

Posts: 80 | From: sacramento california | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd do the lettering before the outlining and then the shadow. The letters get cleaned up by the outline. The way he's doing it is how I'd do it on the inside of a window. Also, I've never been inclined to letter on a table. How does he reach the letters in the middle?

[ November 27, 2012, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Rick Sacks ]

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting how the white is perfectly covering that red, too. One coat!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps black & white vinyl on red dibond, and he's just pretending...?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't use a mahl stick but that doesn't look like right, maybe it's just me. The brush is mighty small also

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was gona say the same thing george, why such a small brush? unless hes just touching up....BUT he got a couple more letters to fill with white. also i would be doing that on an wall easel not in that position. also looks like the black IS VINYL, and hes just filling the white with paint.....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda weird.

I, really, really, hate to say this ......but, although it does not look like traditional sign painting ( to me ), still,......

"the order of the factors does not alter the product"...... ( Pythagoras )

On the other hand, maybe this is what they are calling "traditional sign painting", nowadays....

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is a set-up just for a good photo. Been criticized for doing similar photos in the past. Still, there is a difference between sign painting and hand lettering.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is more my conclusion Kent. I like your distinction between sign painting and hand lettering also.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

What a bunch of picky-picky grouches!

It is a "Photo OP"!

They probably came in wanting a pic when he was laying down some vinull ... (horizontal surface instead of vertical -and- black outline/drop shade,then white letters) ... so he grabs a mahl stick and a brush to do a "Let's Pretend"!

99% of today's sign makers would never notice!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Si probably nailed it...and we should hunt this guy down and arrest him for fraud...I also like the way Si spelled "vinull"...it should be the official way to spell it...makes more sense than that other way...whatever that way it is...seems I never get it right either.

[ November 28, 2012, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On second thought.....I would have to agree with the photo OP deal......Thank you, Si, for putting us in that, so exclusive, 1% group....We can't help it.

RD

[ November 28, 2012, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Well if he is laying down vinyl, how is the craft enduring?

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I won't speculate on if its vinull or paint, but I sure don't see much paint on that easel. but Si's right we are a bunch of picky OSPs( old sign painters).

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if it were vinyl, not the way i would do it. The small top line would be my method. black background/outline then lay some white vinyl down.

It almost looks like he's trying to save on his white vinyl and paint in the centers after he put down the large black panel.

The edges don't look primed or painted either. Bottom left almost looks like some black paint showing through from below.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Janzen
Visitor
Member # 7227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Janzen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Janzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny so much negative energy is being directed at his sign. His name is Sean Starr and he does drop by from time to time. I sure you wouldn't feel so good if a group of fellow sign makers criticized your work on a public forum. I'm sure we could find fault with others work if we wanted. I'm sure most of you have used computer generated patterns, paint mask and so on. I know for a fact that Sean is very passionate about sign making, and also the history behind the craft. He has also taken the time to create a sign related site at http://traditionalsignmaker.com/ where he features other sign painters and sign related videos. I understand constructive criticism, but that's not what this post seems to be about. Gee...what a way to make someone want to be part of the forum.

[ November 28, 2012, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Rick Janzen ]

--------------------
Streamline Studios Inc.
Calgary. AB
www.streamlinestudios.blogspot.ca

Posts: 220 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Rick......Those are, really, words of wisdom !!....Love your work, just in case.

RD

[ November 28, 2012, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, Well said...I may have misunderstood or mistook this one as being some freindly ribbing...But your insight has put a different spin on it for me...Thanks.

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well in the original post David did ask the question..."Anything odd to you?"...so that starts off with a negative spin...I honestly think that if this sign had been presented in portfolio that there would not have been one single negative remark...only compliments...so one has to take into account the context surrounding these negative remarks.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Rick.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cal Trauter
Visitor
Member # 10938

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Cal Trauter   Email Cal Trauter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sign painting / hand lettering, if it's swinging a brush, or in some cases a roller I love it. It's how I make a living and have fun too. As in the BC comic strip quote "technique, smechnique in a thousand years they will eat it up." Keep the faith Brother.
With Love from your brother of the brush.
Cheers-Cal. [Applause]

Posts: 97 | From: Summerland BC | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Starr is a forum/telephone friend of mine a personal friend of John Arnott.
With his Traditional Sign Maker Magazine, and help with the most recent Signpainter Movie and Book by the same folks and recent lectures to college art students about the craft, He has certainly done his part to keep the traditional aspects of this craft alive. He has done all of this inspite of relocating his shop from San Francisco to Texas in a dicey economic time.
Kudos to Mr, Starr!

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To each, his own. Maybe we should be less negative and respect the man for his talent. It is apparent to me that he knows what he is doing. I have been in this crazy business for over 52 years and met many a sign painter and seldom would find any two painters, who plied their craft the same way. "Hand Lettering Forever". Peace, Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Nobody is knocking Mr. Starr, please don't feign offense for another man's feelings.
This was posted as a curiosity and is more about Signs of the Times portrayal of preserving the "enduring craft".

So we figure it is a photo op for the article, fine. The man does nice work, just odd to those who paint ilooking at the picture. I am sure he doesn't use the implied process shown. No big deal.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Check, please !!

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sean's a cool guy who is passionate about the craft of sign painting. He and his wife dropped in to visit when they were on their scouting trip for the move back to Texas and they live less than thirty miles away from me now. I do owe him a visit to his shop and will get up there soon. We'll be seeing much more of each other in the future.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

http://vimeo.com/44200022

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was just a terrific video. Thanks for the post Rusty.

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched the video. I've known his apprentice, Taylor Darley, since Taylor was just a little boy.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
photo-op yes! always a dry brush most of the time too.
I've painted with Sean in SF and Big Bear...it was a Brouhaha too, but even tho he uses the wrong hand(hey, any hand in a pinch, eh?) it's all paint at Starr Studios.
But wait, if you Buy Now, I will send you All my Paint like a Left-Hander Tapes, at no extra cost, Shipping and Fondling extra, some conditions apply, others will arise as the toxins take hold-we accept PayBuddy and BarterBros .

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!