Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Anyone Still Using Shocard and/or Poster Paint?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone Still Using Shocard and/or Poster Paint?
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to teach my Grandkids hand lettering. The poster paints available just don't compare to the real stuff.

Instead of doing it the eay way and calling Pete at Canadian Signcrafter Supply, or my old pal Bob Behounek, it just seemed more helpful to try this cool Letterhead site first. [Smile]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve you must have been away from here for a while. There's nothing but pot, politics and religion on here now days.

Totally satiric comment, just kidding.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve I have many new cans of all colors One Shot poster.Never been opened.

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Janzen
Visitor
Member # 7227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Janzen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Janzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, are you referring to Shocard tempera paint?

--------------------
Streamline Studios Inc.
Calgary. AB
www.streamlinestudios.blogspot.ca

Posts: 220 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're talking about the stuff we used in art class when I was about seven. It could have been RichArt. It was liquid gouache in a jar (commonly but mistakenly called tempera) and had a pleasant smell which I can still remember over 70 years later. Blick has a couple lines in its catalog -- Prang, for one.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved using sho card color. I loved the days when we did paper banners. Rich Art and Crown Tempera were a few of the brands. I think the sign supply in Portland or Seattle still sells the stuff.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, you're so right. It had a different flow, but the fact that it was a showcard offered a certain amount of freedom in the layout and any "flair" you might want to toss in - great aroma, too.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I still love One Shot Poster. Compared to about any water based tempera it is just so much easier to use. Ronin does not seem to hold up outside as well. Love the fast dry and 'pull' compared to any water based paint. It does shelf out fairly fast, but a slightly bent screw driver in the drill press after 15 minutes does seem to break it down into very usable product again. I found ten pint cans last weekend in an old box and tried this trick to see if I could save one which had settled out. Worked fine.

Another trick I have used is to add some penetrol to it for better brush ability, but it does not hold up as well on glass outside. Even tried some other oils and found Galkyd seems to be the best, but way too expensive for most uses. $40 for six ounces is a bit high. Have also tried and used Liquin...lower price and works similar.

I use white poster as a base for windshield lettering and at just the right consistency, it does hold up well enough to last three months, overcoated with either another poster color or fluoro.

I also have to make some large showroom window signs on banner or white butcher paper for some stores that cannot paint the outside windows. Poster is definitely the way to go on paper, but it does warp tyvek out. Great work when it too cold out there and I can do them here inside. The time, compared to direct painting outside is almost doubled, plus the installation with 3M Hi Perf clear tape.

I love poster enamel and would love to know what binder they use in it to make it set up so fast.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love Superfine japan colors for paper signs, mix with turps, goes a long way, dries fast, colors bright and still available on line.

Also have show card colors on hand.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Borges de Oliveir
Visitor
Member # 3770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Borges de Oliveir   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Borges de Oliveir   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you can still get Rich Art.
http://pacificcoastpaint.com/
I believe they still sell it. Its where I used to buy mine.

--------------------
Charles Borges de Oliveira
Borges Lettering & Design
Snohomish WA

Posts: 352 | From: Snohomish WA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, give the children red sable brushes to work with, they seem made for the Rich Art water colors.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve,

Red sables ( Grumbacher ) + Rich Art ( tempera ) + Crescent cards = Pretty show cards.

RD

P.S. -- Poster paint is for paper signs ( usually weight 22 to 24 lbs.)......and, of course, for other surfaces too.....but works much better on paper, without causing paper to wrinkle ( as tempera does ).

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those interested, poster colors are just pre-mixed Japan colors although usually a courser grind which is why I too prefer superfine Japans. Although the water based shocard colors were what I learned with, the card available now is not clay coated so the surface wrinkles if it gets too wet. My uncle who only did shocards, preferred the snap of red sables and superfine Japans for smooth brilliant colors.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronan Superfine Japan colors available in quarts available here.
http://www.worldpaintsupply.com/

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Ficucell
Visitor
Member # 1460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ficucell   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Ficucell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve,
Mclaogan sign supply in L.A. has it. Bob

http://www.mclogan.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=99&cPath=188_26_27

--------------------
Bob Ficucell
Glass Arts
Woodland Hills,Ca

Posts: 220 | From: Woodland Hills | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the responces. I knew we still had lots of oldtimers lurking around this place. Mike Stevens and Bob Behounek used Rich Art and Sables.

Now that I got you all behaving again, I'm going to start sharing some of the hundreds of Bob Harper showcards we took photos of during a weekend at his place.

Good to see Kent. How about some Letterhead yarns from the old days?

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike Stevens, taught me the use of red sables when I worked at Mel Cotton's sporting goods in San Jose.
Still use em'...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Love show cards, always looked forward to the articles in Signs of the Times years ago "From the bench of Bill Boley" still have some of them.
I did many myself years ago, still have Rich Art and my sables.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382

Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly are Japan colors? Basically varnish and pigment?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

No varnish, unless you were to use it for backing up gold leaf on glass then you would add varnish.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have some red sables for sho-card lettering. I lost them in the "great war of 1989", divorce. I forgot to grab them on my way out.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my collection of red sables, oh, the just lay there in the box, honkin' #20, wore one out using in water based vinyl on banners back when...loved using Plaka(out of W. Germany) on tyvek, with the sables, used to get showcard colour from Sherwin Williams...RichArt , got it last at McLogans in San Diego, Pacific Coast, great store.
that claycoated card(Peterboro) was great, you could fix booboos with a stencil knife, just scraping away the stain after you wiped it off first...

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Steve glad to see you back.

Rich art is my suggestion, as it is so easy to use, and has great viscosity. The colors are wonderful and reasonably priced.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Masters
Visitor
Member # 851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Masters   Email Bill Masters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can still get some great red sables from Handover brush.

--------------------
Bill Masters
Golden Signs
Scranton,PA
signbum@msn.com

Posts: 86 | From: Scranton,PA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically Japan color pigments are ground in Japan varnish instead of oil like oil colors and enamel pigments. That varnish is the carrier and resin which causes adhesion and rapid dry and is usually Florence or Venice Japan varnish. Usually little or no tail solvent is added in the can filling process as is done with enamels. Japans come in a paste-like consitency which allows remix and intermix to suit your application needs. This means mix any intermix colors first in paste from, then reduce. The best way to use them is to add more Japan varnish first to get the level of flow desired and sparingly add solvent as well. Use a solvent that will gain consistency rapidly like turps or high temp reducer. Do not use mineral spirits because it takes too much to reduce the consistency and it adds oil which will leave spots on card and paper not to mention glass. If you think you don't have Japan varnish, quick or fast gold size is a Japan varnish.

Note, I still like RichArt since that is what I first used.

Steve...I have so many stories, send me a topic or time period and I will try to share some as I have time...

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

I should add that another faster dry Japan varnish is quick rubbing varnish.

Also, for a faster dry, non-permanent version particularly good for paper signs and the like, one can just reduce the Japan color with solvent.
When durability was not an issue, we used to do grocery store paper banners lettered with Japans reduced with lacquer thinner. They would dry in 5 minutes which was great if you made two or more alike. Just roll out new paper over the first sign and quick copy by seeing through the paper. Also great if the customer was on the way.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

It's cool to see so many old timers getting in on this. I haven't seen that Masters couple in years. Makes me wonder who else might be lurking on here.

You know what? Kent wrote the Book On Goldleaf. If he's still alive and posting, those Strong and Atkinson guys might still show up. [Smile]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Loved the smell of japan and turps in the morning!

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382

Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a mouse skeleton in my old sign kit.
He must krooooooooked eating my red sables and Japan colors.

Its been awhile, but last year I did have to hand paint, the "chevrolet" raised letters on the back of an old restored truck. ( I had to buy a new brush, you know, cause of the mouse )

[Smile]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Len, me too. I have been doing so many more traditional signs, dry enamel smell in the shop as I stoke up the wood stove in the morning, just like when I was a kid. While nestolgia takes over a bit, the practicality of using a brush when appropriate has its financial rewards as well.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Peter
Resident

Member # 1062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter   Author's Homepage   Email Peter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still use One Shot poster paint for paper signs but I only stock black, red, blue and white. Colors like light green, orange, brown, etc. get used so infrequently that the can dries out. I haven't done a showcard in AGES, don't even think my supplier still stocks them and customers don't even know to ask for them anymore. I always did them in One Shot as well; I did buy the red sables and water paint once and messed around a bit but I was used to the oil-based paint and stuck with that.

--------------------
Pete M.
Jet Signs
Farmingdale, NY
www.jetsignsoflongisland.com

Posts: 348 | From: Farmingdale, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get Rich Art from Earl Mich.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

here was nothing better than the smells of walking into a real sign shop back in the fifties.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!